T Nation

Am I Kidding Myself?

I am 47 and weigh in at 150. Is it possible for me to bench press 200lbs?

I am able to do a 1RM @ 150. And if it is possible, by the end of the school year?

Of course it is possible. By the end of the year? Not likely, but see what happens!

[quote]PB Andy wrote:
Of course it is possible. By the end of the year? Not likely, but see what happens![/quote]

by the end of my sons H.S. year. They have bench pressing comps and I want to get in the 200 club.

[quote]Ladyjess wrote:
PB Andy wrote:
Of course it is possible. By the end of the year? Not likely, but see what happens!

by the end of my sons H.S. year. They have bench pressing comps and I want to get in the 200 club.[/quote]

So you mean by the end of May/June? You can definitely get to a 200 lb. bench press as long as you work at it with this goal in mind. How does your training look?

[quote]PB Andy wrote:
Ladyjess wrote:
PB Andy wrote:
Of course it is possible. By the end of the year? Not likely, but see what happens!

by the end of my sons H.S. year. They have bench pressing comps and I want to get in the 200 club.

So you mean by the end of May/June? You can definitely get to a 200 lb. bench press as long as you work at it with this goal in mind. How does your training look?[/quote]

Going to start the training for this Monday. I put my foot in my mouth during the parent teach conference…lol
And my son told his coach that I could do it…eeck!

Yes. Yes you can. Pick a program and get going!

Get a video up on feedbackfrommeat. Its possible to pick up 50 lbs. on form alone, depending on your current form. And a bench shirt wouldn’t hurt.

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:
Get a video up on feedbackfrommeat. Its possible to pick up 50 lbs. on form alone, depending on your current form. And a bench shirt wouldn’t hurt.[/quote]

A bench shirt?

Shoot, if she wants a bench shirt, she can learn it and get 225 by then. Raw, she might have more trouble, unless she’s a newbie and is bench talented.

Get a program and get crackin!

[quote]pushmepullme wrote:
Shoot, if she wants a bench shirt, she can learn it and get 225 by then. Raw, she might have more trouble, unless she’s a newbie and is bench talented.

Get a program and get crackin![/quote]

k, now I need to get a program.

Any suggestions?
Cbear?

If everyone says “No, you can’t do it.” are you going to give up and just sit on the couch?

“Do or don’t do, there is no try.”

Babe, I have gone from 205lbs and got my weight back down to 150lbs. I was starting to work on getting rid of the jiggles until I opened my mouth in front of my son’s coach.

I am a doer. I would of not shamed my son by not trying and showing up and giving it a shot.

[quote]Ladyjess wrote:
Babe, I have gone from 205lbs and got my weight back down to 150lbs. I was starting to work on getting rid of the jiggles until I opened my mouth in front of my son’s coach.

I am a doer. I would of not shamed my son by not trying and showing up and giving it a shot.

[/quote]

sounds like a great attitude to me =)

Three things: find and watch Dave Tate’s bench press tutorial video. It’s on here somewhere.
Second: do a LOT of rowing. Dumbell, barbell, T-bar, cable - I don’t care. But if you’re going to train bench press a lot, you’re going to want to avoid imbalances. Shoulders get fucked up easily - I speak from bitter experience.
Third: do broomstick dislocates as part of your warm-up every session. These helped me restore a decent range of ROM to my right shoulder after I fucked it up benching. I’d say it’s a pretty good thing to do.

[quote]Cal Jones wrote:
Three things: find and watch Dave Tate’s bench press tutorial video. It’s on here somewhere.
Second: do a LOT of rowing. Dumbell, barbell, T-bar, cable - I don’t care. But if you’re going to train bench press a lot, you’re going to want to avoid imbalances. Shoulders get fucked up easily - I speak from bitter experience.
Third: do broomstick dislocates as part of your warm-up every session. These helped me restore a decent range of ROM to my right shoulder after I fucked it up benching. I’d say it’s a pretty good thing to do.[/quote]

Thank you my dear.

http://fullyflexed.com/dave-tates-six-week-bench-press-cure

[quote]Ladyjess wrote:
pushmepullme wrote:
Shoot, if she wants a bench shirt, she can learn it and get 225 by then. Raw, she might have more trouble, unless she’s a newbie and is bench talented.

Get a program and get crackin!

k, now I need to get a program.

Any suggestions?
Cbear?[/quote]

do what wendler did. start at your goal of 200, and plan backwards.

seconding what caljones said, row your back off when you’re not benching.

vary your bench range; do 1,2,3,4 and even 5 board presses. work on your triceps.

do broomstick dislocates, scapular pushups, and “no money” exercises for warmup, prehab and mobility.

look at bench shirts. if its close and you’re still not there, pony up to the gear whore side of things. ive heard rumors that they can add 100lbs to your bench ability.

look at 100s of videos of good benching form… elbows tucked, back arched, feet under your hips, driving with your heels.

wait, here’s one.

Thank you everyone. I will get on it CBear.

Gonna start saving up for a Bench Shirt =)

Oh, this is the kind of stuff I live for!! Don’t start thinking about a bench shirt just yet…see what you’ve got in the tank first! You never know, you might have a 225 raw bench in you :slight_smile: I hit 200 at 123lb (wasn’t pretty but it went up).

Can’t wait to hear all about your training!!! Best of luck!