Am I in Ketosis?

Hey guys, so I’ve read a couple things about ketogenic diets and ketosis, and I wondered if my diet currently put me into ketosis. I currently consume 310g protein, 217g carbs, 119g fat. It comes out to about 38/27/33 p/c/f. Thanks :slight_smile:

Not even close.

You need to consume at max 30gs of carbs to hit Ketosis I believe. The less the better though, I think the goal is around 20 to be sure.

Ok good. I don’t want to be in ketosis, and I was thinking about it while showering and decided to ask to make sure. Thanks guys.

In your reading, you obviously missed the part that you have to be very low-carb to get into ketosis. What is your idea of what ketosis actually is?

[quote]newbie11 wrote:
Hey guys, so I’ve read a couple things about ketogenic diets and ketosis, and I wondered if my diet currently put me into ketosis. I currently consume 310g protein, 217g carbs, 119g fat. It comes out to about 38/27/33 p/c/f. Thanks :)[/quote]

did you even consider doing a quick google search?

just a few seconds of research could have answered this question without having to make a thread and get others to serve you the answer

[quote]ZYL281 wrote:
newbie11 wrote:
Hey guys, so I’ve read a couple things about ketogenic diets and ketosis, and I wondered if my diet currently put me into ketosis. I currently consume 310g protein, 217g carbs, 119g fat. It comes out to about 38/27/33 p/c/f. Thanks :slight_smile:

did you even consider doing a quick google search?

just a few seconds of research could have answered this question without having to make a thread and get others to serve you the answer[/quote]

and? either way he spent about the same time getting the answer.

Yea…I figured I’d ask here instead because of conflicting information that arises on the internet. In regards to ketosis, I thought it referred to the body using protein as its main fuel source, which I was worried may arise as easy as just having protein make up most of the calories in your diet.

[quote]newbie11 wrote:
Yea…I figured I’d ask here instead because of conflicting information that arises on the internet. In regards to ketosis, I thought it referred to the body using protein as its main fuel source, which I was worried may arise as easy as just having protein make up most of the calories in your diet.[/quote]

You really need to do a lot more reading. Not necessarily on this topic. But just to understand nutrition generally to meet your goals. Whatever they may be.

[quote]newbie11 wrote:
Yea…I figured I’d ask here instead because of conflicting information that arises on the internet[/quote]

So you then asked the question, on the internet. Brilliant. There’s NEVER any conflicting info on this site.

cueball

[quote]cueball wrote:
newbie11 wrote:
Yea…I figured I’d ask here instead because of conflicting information that arises on the internet

So you then asked the question, on the internet. Brilliant. There’s NEVER any conflicting info on this site.

cueball[/quote]

Yes, well at least on this site people can discuss the conflicting information, whereas searching on random Google sites, you can’t really discuss it. I don’t really see what was the whole problem with this guy posting a simple question on the forum. It’s not that big a deal guys.

[quote]tico1028 wrote:
cueball wrote:
newbie11 wrote:
Yea…I figured I’d ask here instead because of conflicting information that arises on the internet

cueball

Yes, well at least on this site people can discuss the conflicting information, whereas searching on random Google sites, you can’t really discuss it. I don’t really see what was the whole problem with this guy posting a simple question on the forum. It’s not that big a deal guys.[/quote]

Easy, I was just ribbing the guy. Besides, even though things get discussed here, rarely does a thread that actually has a dicussion with differing points of view get resolved to a consensus. It mostly ends in pissing.

And he basically asked for a definition of a word. Not a subjective question where people might have differing opinions. Ketosis is ketosis, no discusion necessary. Like I said, I was just giving him shit.

cueball

[quote]newbie11 wrote:
Yea…I figured I’d ask here instead because of conflicting information that arises on the internet. In regards to ketosis, I thought it referred to the body using protein as its main fuel source, which I was worried may arise as easy as just having protein make up most of the calories in your diet.[/quote]

Ketosis = using ketone bodies for energy

[quote]Brant_Drake wrote:
newbie11 wrote:
Yea…I figured I’d ask here instead because of conflicting information that arises on the internet. In regards to ketosis, I thought it referred to the body using protein as its main fuel source, which I was worried may arise as easy as just having protein make up most of the calories in your diet.

Ketosis = using ketone bodies for energy[/quote]

Nice.

IIRC the much-maligned Dr. Atkins claimed that it took two weeks of steady 20g/day maximum carb intake for the average person’s metabolism to reach ketosis.

Carbs from fiber counts?

[quote]cerote wrote:
Carbs from fiber counts?[/quote]

No.

So when we say 20-30g carbs per day, not including fibre…

Im eating 8-10 cups of green veg (green beans brocolli etc) per day.

It really helps with appetite etc.

Im not sure what to make of the fibrous content of these servings…whats in 1 cup? do you exclude green veg from the carb totals or do you just exclude the stated fibre content?

Chutec - The following is a great site that will help a bunch in answering your questions about the specific content of certain foods:

http://www.nutritiondata.com/

Very solid info on food content, particularly where the source is USDA assays or the like.

LOL bmitch you’re a little late man :). The kid better know, after everyone’s posted here.