Am I Getting Weaker Because of My Diet or Sh**ty Training?

Am I getting weaker because of my diet? Or is it because of shitty training?

The only lift that have consistently gone up these past several weeks was my squat. I squat 6 days a week, and last week I added another squat session on my sixth day. So far, after five weeks, my squat went from 335 pounds to 385 pounds.

But my upper-body lifts have either plateaued or gone down.

For my pulling exercises, I do ten sets of six reps with hang cleans and ten sets of six reps with lat pulldowns. For my pushing exercises, I do ten sets of six reps for overhead presses and ten sets of six reps with flyes. I have a pulling day once a week and a pushing day once a week.

My diet is an embarrassment, and I have a good feeling I’m getting weaker because of it. But I’m not sure, so I had to ask. Half the time I only get 40 to 50 grams of protein a day, the other half I barely manage 100. I am also cutting down on carbs and my efforts to restrict calories have helped me lose 12 pounds, going from 240 pounds to 228 pounds.

So… am I getting weaker because of my diet? Or because something is wrong with my training?

[/quote]

This says it all right here.

My diet is an embarrassment, and I have a good feeling I’m getting weaker because of it. But I’m not sure, so I had to ask. Half the time I only get 40 to 50 grams of protein a day, the other half I barely manage 100.
[/quote]

Well that’s hardly any protein. So you’re breaking down a bunch of muscle when you workout, but you’re not replenishing any of it. It could definitely be a reason your lifts are going down. Also, squatting six days a week is very taxing, and you’re other lifts are probably stalling because you’re not devoting enough time to them because you’re devoting it all to squats. It’s not necessarily a bad thing, emphasizing a particular lift and putting the others on the back burner. You just gotta be smart, eat more calories (especially protein) and make sure to rotate which exercise/muscle group you’re trying to bring up.

2 Likes

Overtrained under nourished, i vaguely remember and article by Paul Kelso in Pl usa in the late 80’s.
Of how you are better off under training then over training, he had a workout called the texan, which reminds me of Jeff maddy workout .
You basically squat every 7to 9 days, bench every 7 , and deadlift every 7to9days , with only a couple assistance exercises, which works great for natty lifter.
50 gram protein a day way low , plus squating six days a week, really.
Yes you are getting weaker because of diet, and overtraining.

2 Likes

I thought you said you wanted to squat 500 pounds?

Are these methods part of your plan to do this, or are you just kicking the can down the road on that goal right now?

Yeah double your protein. Your training sounds ass backwards, get on one of the tons of proven programs off tnation and stop that nonsense.
This has you squatting every workout and is written by a guy who has hit 1000lb in competition…

Once in a while if want to blitz the squat do smolov base mesocycle and even that is ‘only’ squatting 4 days a week.

2 Likes

you gained 50 pounds on the squat sure some of that is neural plus that’s for 2 reps. Your losing weight which is good but you need to eat a lot more protein.How about some protein shakes aminos creatine preworkout and post workout. Your other lifts may suffer a bit . if you believe in your program thats half the battle. your program sounds like smoslov squatting program. try to get 400 by new year.use a spotter