T Nation

Am I Getting Old? What The Hell!

So perhaps I shouldn’t be posting here as of yet because I’m only 34 and half!!! But damn it, am I getting old?

It’s like someone threw a switch and I can’t pull weeds without having a pain the next day… I’m a fairly active fellow, have to children 1 and 3 years old. I lift 3-5 a week, play the drums in a band, do stuff around the house, etc, etc… I don’t know if I’m on the go too much here or if this has something to do with age…

What do you all think?

[quote]LJ4174 wrote:
So perhaps I shouldn’t be posting here as of yet because I’m only 34 and half!!! But damn it, am I getting old?

It’s like someone threw a switch and I can’t pull weeds without having a pain the next day… I’m a fairly active fellow, have to children 1 and 3 years old. I lift 3-5 a week, play the drums in a band, do stuff around the house, etc, etc… I don’t know if I’m on the go too much here or if this has something to do with age…

What do you all think? [/quote]

Sounds like you are deficient somewhere; diet, exercise routine, etc.

I have almost 5 years on you and other than a few nagging joints, I feel pretty damn good.

[quote]Polish Rifle wrote:

I have almost 5 years on you and other than a few nagging joints, I feel pretty damn good.[/quote]

Thanks for the reply, but… Really, I haven’t changed anything… I eat healthy, hit the gym on an average 3 times a week and to a combination of multi joint and single joint lifts, no machines. Been lifting since I’ve been about 19, so I’ve been around this stuff for sometime…

As I said, it’s like someone threw a switch and said OK, now you will have pains… I was on vacation at the end of last month and when I got home, I pulled weeds from my landscaping around the house, maybe 30-45 minutes.

The next 2 days it felt like I did 50 squats and 50 deadlifts. I could barely walk up the steps… That’s never, ever happened to me before… I did some work around my house this weekend, building a bump out for a fireplace I’m getting installed and today… I’m hurting, stiff legs, arms, hands… Etc…

Anything lacking in my diet that could cause this? I normally eat a low carb whole food diet. Take a multivitamin and some fish oil each days and a few scoops of Grow…

How is your sleep?

[quote]LJ4174 wrote:
I have almost 5 years on you and other than a few nagging joints, I feel pretty damn good.

Thanks for the reply, but… Really, I haven’t changed anything… I eat healthy, hit the gym on an average 3 times a week and to a combination of multi joint and single joint lifts, no machines. Been lifting since I’ve been about 19, so I’ve been around this stuff for sometime…

As I said, it’s like someone threw a switch and said OK, now you will have pains… I was on vacation at the end of last month and when I got home, I pulled weeds from my landscaping around the house, maybe 30-45 minutes.

The next 2 days it felt like I did 50 squats and 50 deadlifts. I could barely walk up the steps… That’s never, ever happened to me before… I did some work around my house this weekend, building a bump out for a fireplace I’m getting installed and today… I’m hurting, stiff legs, arms, hands… Etc…

Anything lacking in my diet that could cause this? I normally eat a low carb whole food diet. Take a multivitamin and some fish oil each days and a few scoops of Grow…[/quote]

Well, I think we all go through times when our bodies feel like they may have hit the proverbial wall, so to speak.

I say listen to your body and take some time off for some real rest and allow your batteries to recharge.

I take a minimum of 2 weeks off a year where I do no physical activity any greater than brushing my teeth and mowing the lawn. I typically feel 100 times better because of it.

If the joint issue continues, you may want to see a physician.

[quote]Elaikases wrote:
How is your sleep?[/quote]

You know, I kid with the wife about this because it would be nothing for me to get 4 hours or less each night. I’d feel like crap sometimes, but for the most part I’d be OK. I started to go to bed earlier and get about 6 hours, and that is when this all started… Not sure if that is relevant…

[quote]Polish Rifle wrote:

Well, I think we all go through times when our bodies feel like they may have hit the proverbial wall, so to speak.

I say listen to your body and take some time off for some real rest and allow your batteries to recharge.

I take a minimum of 2 weeks off a year where I do no physical activity any greater than brushing my teeth and mowing the lawn. I typically feel 100 times better because of it.

If the joint issue continues, you may want to see a physician.
[/quote]

Well, I’m going on my 4th week of not hitting the gym at this point, simply because I know my body can’t handle it. However, I don’t get a break, this past weekend I cut a hole in the side of my house and then finished it with a bump out for my fireplace. I have to put the siding back on yet. However I think some rest is long over due for sure…

[quote]LJ4174 wrote:

I do the same things you do, except I’m 20 years older and I play bass.

It has nothing to do with age. If you are SURE your diet is spot-on, and you’re sleeping OK, and you have no old injuries to aggravate, you just may want to get checked out by a doctor. There is a big difference between DOMS and pain. You’ve been lifting long enough to know that. Pain is something you need to follow up with a professional.

[quote]LJ4174 wrote:
Elaikases wrote:
How is your sleep?

You know, I kid with the wife about this because it would be nothing for me to get 4 hours or less each night. I’d feel like crap sometimes, but for the most part I’d be OK. I started to go to bed earlier and get about 6 hours, and that is when this all started… Not sure if that is relevant… [/quote]

Interesting - maybe your body finally realizes it has some time to repair and is laying down new tissue.

I’d keep up light activity like walks, gentle mobilty & flexibilty/yoga. A couple of weeks off is good, 4 weeks might stiffen you up.

[quote]LJ4174 wrote:
Polish Rifle wrote:

Anything lacking in my diet that could cause this? I normally eat a low carb whole food diet. Take a multivitamin and some fish oil each days and a few scoops of Grow…[/quote]

Go see your Doctor and get checked for Lyme Disease. Get basic blood work done as well.

KSMan, those are good points.

He also might want to consider if he should have been getting eight hours a night and the lack of sleep has finally caught up with him.

But Lyme Disease and basic bloodwork sounds essential.

[quote]LJ4174 wrote:

You are not old. You are just not young. This stuff happens to younger people also, just less often. The main thing is how quickly you recover. Pain for a day or even two after pulling weeds is no big deal, now a week is another story.

I get aches and pains but they go away fast and I do not complain much about them. At least I only get sick enough to miss work about one day every three years or so on average.

[quote]Elaikases wrote:
KSMan, those are good points.

He also might want to consider if he should have been getting eight hours a night and the lack of sleep has finally caught up with him.

But Lyme Disease and basic bloodwork sounds essential.[/quote]

If this lethargy showed up over night, you should probably see a physician. Your sleep doesn’t sound right-lifting heavy -you could need more recovery time.

This may sound simple-but when I upgrade my mattress I had less soreness also, maybe an aspirin occasionally.

[quote]KSman wrote:
LJ4174 wrote:

I was on vacation at the end of last month…

Go see your Doctor and get checked for Lyme Disease. Get basic blood work done as well.[/quote]

Excellent point from KSman.

Where did you go on vacation?

Lyme cases have been reported in all 50 states and in 20 other countries, including Germany, Switzerland, France, and Australia, according to the CDC.

Though, on your real question, you really aren’t anywhere near old enough to be “old.”

OK, let me try to answer some of these questions…

We moved into our house last year and I purchased a new mattress, a Sealy Posterpedic, it’s super comfy and even though I didn’t pay this for it, but it was like $2400 so my matress is decent although I get a better night’s sleep on the couch sometimes…

Yo Mamma - you and I’ve talked before and playing bass with your 4 fingers is was different that playing drums with your whole body… Not to mention setup and tear down and all that too… : ) Just saying… Again, one of my best friends in the bass player in my band, so we go back and forth with the bass and drums things all day… Anyway, went to the outer banks in NC, love it down there, but on the way down my grandfather passed away and we needed to leave early and it wasn’t as good of a vacation… I didn’t feel great, had a headach for a few days… The weather sucked, etc, etc, etc…

Whatelse… Yeah, to me it just seems like the aches and pains last longer then they should. For instance this weed pulling instance, I had a hard time walking up the steps for like 2 or 3 days afterwards… I went home from work on Monday and didn’t do anything, but worked on my house all day yesterday and I’m feeling pretty good today…

Yeah, if I don’t feel quite right yet soon I’m going to give the doc a call… However, I’m a huge big baby when it comes to getting blood work done… : \