Am I Getting Ahead of Myself?

Hello T nation, I am currently looking into to Texas Method, but I want to make sure I’m not getting ahead of myself with an intermediate program. I have almost 5 years of lifting experience, but I’m 18, and spent 4 of those years at Crossfit (big mistake I know). Even though I have the experience level for the program, if we are judging by strength level, I am still a novice lifter. Would a novice program work for me? Or should I continue on to start the Texas Method?

How long have you been doing Texas Method?

Goals? Actually goals, not “I want to get stronger or bigger”

I have not started the Texas Method yet, I have been program hopping for awhile now and I’m looking for one that yields solid linear progression. My goals right now are to hit the 225lb bench, 315lb squat, and 405lb deadlift, my deadlift being the furthest from my goal. My confusion lies in now knowing whether to choose a program based on my experience level or my strength level.

Get out of the “novice program, intermediate program”, etc paradigm; that was an idea created by someone trying to sell you something. There is no pre-requisite level you have to hit to earn the right to train a certain way. Use a program with a variety of rep ranges, logical and sustainable progression scheme, assistance work to bring up weak areas and appropriate conditioning and you’ll be fine. Jim Wendler has made a ton of these programs, as has Joe DeFranco and Chad Wesley Smith. Try following what they have put out and you will be good.

3 Likes

Frankly, if you are familiar with the Starting Strength crew’s material, I’d run a linear progression, i.e. the orginal Starting Strength program, and tweak it as you go, as detailed in the Practical Programming book.

I have close to 8 years of experience, mainly with 5/3/1, but this spring was the first time I had the willpower and intelligence to truly milk out everything out of the standard program. I got to a mid 400’s squat, 330 bench and 500 deadlift at a bodyweight of just under 200.

If you think you can commit to eating, sleeping and getting under a heavy squat bar 3 times a week, do SS.

However, if you don’t feel like you got it together enough to go through that, I’d suggest something mentally less draining, like T3hPwnisher’s list (I’d recommend 5/3/1 with the FSL-protocol and bodyweight assistance). A true SS linear progression requires full attention or otherwise you will just spin your wheels, and in that case a milder progression is a smarter choice.

You choose a program that you will be consistent with. Stop program hopping.

And x2 what @T3hPwnisher said.

1 Like

x3 on what others have said. Whatever program you pick will likely be just fine. Hell, I ran starting strength for a couple months when I was deadlifting almost 600 lbs. Everything can work.

Why was crossfit for 4 years a mistake? Did it make you weaker? slower? less athletic? did you get injured?

Read this