Am I Eating Enough?

[quote]fr0IVIan wrote:

[quote]Aragorn wrote:
Hopefully. I said I thought he needed to gain significant weight to compete. But I said it politely.[/quote]

eh. us newbs tend to lose sight of the big picture, and in this case that would be to be the biggest, strongest and fastest that I could be without regard for weight or body fat, since rugby isn’t governed by weight classes anyway.

if OP were American, it would be like wanting to get Twilight-ripped for the summer but ultimately hoping to make it to the NFL. I’m pretty sure even the kickers are bigger than 145 lb. in the NFL.[/quote]

The waterboy is usually more than 145lbs in the NFL.

Hell, I think the cheerleaders are usually over 145lbs in the NFL.

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

[quote]Dreadlift wrote:
Don’t forget I’m only 167cm so even though I’m only 145lbs, I’m not exactly skinny.[/quote]

Just for your own frame of reference:

Dude at my gym, on the job, is 5’6", and is a shredded 185. That is not skinny, in fact when he was a soft 210 was a fucking monster for someone that needs a phonebook to see over the steering wheel.
[/quote]

I’ve only been training for a few months so I won’t be as heavy as he is shredded. I know that’s possible in a few years though and when I’m not playing rugby and focusing on weights more then 185lbs would be a nice weight.

[quote]Chris87 wrote:
You’re a fucking idiot. Tell me who the hell plays international rugby at 145 lbs? Who? Top level rugby players are big, no matter the position. I understand that you are a back, but those guys still arent tiny. Go lift weights, and eat food.[/quote]

Umm, the scrum half for Japan, if you watched the world cup, is also 5’6’ and weighs around 150lbs. Shane Williams, the same height, was 150lbs when he played for Wales when he was just starting off. Arguably the best scrum half to have ever played the game, George Gregan of Australia (who was probably the best tackler in his team despite his size), was 5’9’ and around 160lbs. England’s open-side flanker back in 2003 when they won the world cup was only 5’7’ and 160lbs. A fucking forward, was 160lbs.

There are more players who play professionally at around 150lbs but can’t remember some of them.

You might know more about the gym than I do but you certainly don’t know more about rugby.

[quote]pgtips wrote:
what position do you play? i used to be a winger cause i was one of the lightest on the team. NOT a fun game in my opinion! haha[/quote]

I play scrum-half so there’s only a 5% chance you’d run the ball. Despite my size I played for the mens team when I was 17. People here talk like they know everything lol.

[quote]Aragorn wrote:

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

[quote]Dreadlift wrote:
Don’t forget I’m only 167cm so even though I’m only 145lbs, I’m not exactly skinny.[/quote]

Just for your own frame of reference:

Dude at my gym, on the job, is 5’6", and is a shredded 185. That is not skinny, in fact when he was a soft 210 was a fucking monster for someone that needs a phonebook to see over the steering wheel.
[/quote]

Good post. Guys— the OP is 5’6". He’s SHORT! 145 looks a helluva lot different on him than on what you are imagining.

I still think he needs to gain significant weight, but he is not looking like “the machinist” here. Some guys that height look pretty decent at 150-160.

OP-- to answer your question, eating is a very individual thing. but…6 days xardio + lifting ia almost surely going to require more than 2000 calories! Also you can get stronger through CNS adaptations, which are less metabolically “needy” than muscle gains. But I would suggest increasing calories.[/quote]

I’d love to put on the weight but people keep thinking they know how my body is. I’ve still got a lot of fat around the belly/waist because I was very fat when I was younger, that’s why I say I wanna get leaner then eventually move my way up so even at 145lbs, I’m not even close to being skinny.

I understand it’s possible to weigh 170lbs+ lean with my height but again, I haven’t really been training that long.

[quote]fr0IVIan wrote:
tell you what, do a bit of research. see how many players at your position weigh 145 lb. and see what the average body weight is. don’t come back until you find the answer. I bet it will change your whole outlook on the issue.[/quote]

Didn’t see you edit that.

Trust me, I’ve done a LOT of research. You don’t have to be massive to play the position I’m playing. The more mobile you are, the better. Obviously being heavier helps but both being heavy and light have their own benefits in the game.

[quote]Dreadlift wrote:

[quote]fr0IVIan wrote:
tell you what, do a bit of research. see how many players at your position weigh 145 lb. and see what the average body weight is. don’t come back until you find the answer. I bet it will change your whole outlook on the issue.[/quote]

Trust me, I’ve done a LOT of research. You don’t have to be massive to play the position I’m playing. The more mobile you are, the better. Obviously being heavier helps but both being heavy and light have their own benefits in the game.[/quote]

you are not getting the point so I’ll spell it out one more time.

if you can maintain or improve your speed, agility, mobility and skills at a higher body weight, do it. if you do it right, your speed, agility, power, EVERYTHING should go through the roof, the game should become easier for you to play and slower for you to see and react to.

you are not a boxer, wrestler, MMA fighter, oly lifter, powerlifter or anything governed by any weight class. shoot for the stars now while you’ve got the time and build a body to dominate all others in your sport.

[quote]fr0IVIan wrote:

[quote]Dreadlift wrote:

[quote]fr0IVIan wrote:

Trust me, I’ve done a LOT of research. You don’t have to be massive to play the position I’m playing. The more mobile you are, the better. Obviously being heavier helps but both being heavy and light have their own benefits in the game.[/quote]

you are not getting the point so I’ll spell it out one more time.

if you can maintain or improve your speed, agility, mobility and skills at a higher body weight, do it. if you do it right, your speed, agility, power, EVERYTHING should go through the roof, the game should become easier for you to play and slower for you to see and react to.

you are not a boxer, wrestler, MMA fighter, oly lifter, powerlifter or anything governed by any weight class. shoot for the stars now while you’ve got the time and build a body to dominate all others in your sport.[/quote]

Well of course. The bigger you are, the better but right now that’s not my goal. My long term goal is to become what all of you have been talking about for rugby but right now I’m not playing rugby for another 6 or so months (and when I do play this year, it’s not going to be as serious as in 2-3 years when I’m at the my biggest) so I just want to get leaner for my vacation next month but get stronger while doing so until after my vacation ends when I can start getting bigger.

[quote]Dreadlift wrote:
so I just want to get leaner for my vacation next month but get stronger while doing so until after my vacation ends when I can start getting bigger.[/quote]

you’re vacation is in less than 4 weeks right? You do realize that the amount of fat that you can lose in 2-3 weeks is pretty minimal right? No likely to do much as far as your physique appearance.

EDIT: If you posted a picture of your current physique it would be pretty beneficial to this thread.

[quote]fr0IVIan wrote:

[quote]Aragorn wrote:
Hopefully. I said I thought he needed to gain significant weight to compete. But I said it politely.[/quote]

eh. us newbs tend to lose sight of the big picture, and in this case that would be to be the biggest, strongest and fastest that I could be without regard for weight or body fat, since rugby isn’t governed by weight classes anyway.

if OP were American, it would be like wanting to get Twilight-ripped for the summer but ultimately hoping to make it to the NFL. I’m pretty sure even the kickers are bigger than 145 lb. in the NFL.[/quote]

But he said rugby. You know, this sport that is played without the heavy armor protection, the 55 players per squad, 4 different coaches and more than just 15-20 games a year.

[quote]Dreadlift wrote:

[quote]pgtips wrote:
what position do you play? i used to be a winger cause i was one of the lightest on the team. NOT a fun game in my opinion! haha[/quote]

I play scrum-half so there’s only a 5% chance you’d run the ball. Despite my size I played for the mens team when I was 17. People here talk like they know everything lol.[/quote]

to be honest i dont think you’d want to put too much weight on if your a scrum half, every single scrum half i know is a tiny scrappy little fucker! lol

i remember when i was 18 i got played on the adults (third team - i was shit) and on my third match i Subluxed my shoulder - my coach didnt believe me and i carried on playing. i got the ball . shit my pants. and ran head first into a pack of forwards. my shoulder partially dislocated in the bottom of the ruck. decided to stop playing after that!

are you looking to change positions in the future? if not just try to maintain your weight

[quote]gregron wrote:

[quote]Dreadlift wrote:
so I just want to get leaner for my vacation next month but get stronger while doing so until after my vacation ends when I can start getting bigger.[/quote]

you’re vacation is in less than 4 weeks right? You do realize that the amount of fat that you can lose in 2-3 weeks is pretty minimal right? No likely to do much as far as your physique appearance.

EDIT: If you posted a picture of your current physique it would be pretty beneficial to this thread.[/quote]

[quote]pgtips wrote:

[quote]Dreadlift wrote:

[quote]pgtips wrote:

I play scrum-half so there’s only a 5% chance you’d run the ball. Despite my size I played for the mens team when I was 17. People here talk like they know everything lol.[/quote]

to be honest i dont think you’d want to put too much weight on if your a scrum half, every single scrum half i know is a tiny scrappy little fucker! lol

i remember when i was 18 i got played on the adults (third team - i was shit) and on my third match i Subluxed my shoulder - my coach didnt believe me and i carried on playing. i got the ball . shit my pants. and ran head first into a pack of forwards. my shoulder partially dislocated in the bottom of the ruck. decided to stop playing after that!

are you looking to change positions in the future? if not just try to maintain your weight[/quote]

I actually dislocated my collar bone then popped in back in a week before the season during training and the doctor said it was fine so went back into rugby the next week. Got tackled, hit the ground and almost fainted from the pain lol. I still played the whole season though and thankyfully nothing worse happened.

If anything I’ll either be wing or scrum half so I don’t need the weight like you said. Some people just don’t understand that not everyone wants to be massive :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]Dreadlift wrote:

[quote]Chris87 wrote:
You’re a fucking idiot. Tell me who the hell plays international rugby at 145 lbs? Who? Top level rugby players are big, no matter the position. I understand that you are a back, but those guys still arent tiny. Go lift weights, and eat food.[/quote]

Umm, the scrum half for Japan, if you watched the world cup, is also 5’6’ and weighs around 150lbs. Shane Williams, the same height, was 150lbs when he played for Wales when he was just starting off. Arguably the best scrum half to have ever played the game, George Gregan of Australia (who was probably the best tackler in his team despite his size), was 5’9’ and around 160lbs. England’s open-side flanker back in 2003 when they won the world cup was only 5’7’ and 160lbs. A fucking forward, was 160lbs.

There are more players who play professionally at around 150lbs but can’t remember some of them.

You might know more about the gym than I do but you certainly don’t know more about rugby.

Men’s team at 17.

Not playing rugby for 6 months.

[/quote]

ok, so 4? Then yea definetely thats your best bet, stay small and weak because 4 people were successfull.

So did I, the first year I played, not a big deal.

Another great idea, you want to be an national rugby player so the plan is to not play rugby.

I don’t know you, so I have no idea how much you know about the game, and won’t pretend like I do. But your plan is a dumb one, and I highly doubt it will work.

Like I said before, your best bet would be to lift heavy, get strong and muscular, and play the game as much as possible.

[quote]Dreadlift wrote:

[quote]pgtips wrote:

[quote]Dreadlift wrote:

[quote]pgtips wrote:

are you looking to change positions in the future? if not just try to maintain your weight[/quote]

I actually dislocated my collar bone then popped in back in a week before the season during training and the doctor said it was fine so went back into rugby the next week. Got tackled, hit the ground and almost fainted from the pain lol. I still played the whole season though and thankyfully nothing worse happened.

If anything I’ll either be wing or scrum half so I don’t need the weight like you said. Some people just don’t understand that not everyone wants to be massive :stuck_out_tongue:
[/quote]

Someone needs to make a thread for crazy ass sports injuries, it would be cool.

[quote]Dreadlift wrote:

[quote]gregron wrote:

[quote]Dreadlift wrote:

EDIT: If you posted a picture of your current physique it would be pretty beneficial to this thread.[/quote]

Those are the only photos I have at the moment, I’ll take more pictures in the gym when I go later on.

As you can see I have a lot of fat to lose. When I take more pictures later on hopefully there’ll be better lighting.[/quote]

lol fat??

I see a scrawny little pup. if I played rugby I would love for you to get the ball so I could demolish you.

you are NOT fat. you lack MUSCLE.

You want to lose more weight?

[quote]Chris87 wrote:

[quote]Dreadlift wrote:

[quote]Chris87 wrote:

Men’s team at 17.

Not playing rugby for 6 months.

[/quote]

ok, so 4? Then yea definetely thats your best bet, stay small and weak because 4 people were successfull.

So did I, the first year I played, not a big deal.

Another great idea, you want to be an national rugby player so the plan is to not play rugby.

I don’t know you, so I have no idea how much you know about the game, and won’t pretend like I do. But your plan is a dumb one, and I highly doubt it will work.

Like I said before, your best bet would be to lift heavy, get strong and muscular, and play the game as much as possible.[/quote]

Huh? I’m not playing rugby for another 6 months because the season’s over lol. Only touch rugby during the winter and pre-season in about 3 months.

I know quite a lot about the game. I watch and play rugby all the time, captained my high school team through a successful season and got scouted for the national team but unfortunatly I was leaving the country. Now I’m in Canada but I am a Filipino so I’ll be trying out for either team. And it’s not just 4 players man, there’s a LOT more.

Again man, I don’t know what got it into people’s heads that I want to play high level rugby at this state. I’m only 145lbs, I know that. But like I said, season doesn’t start for another 6 months. By the time season starts, I’ll be at least 160lbs.

How old are you? Just speaking frankly, I think we can all understand wanting to look good on vacation…but kid, you don’t have any significant muscle on you. If this is some beach situation, what will it matter if you are even more skinny than you are now?

people will see the same thing…only skinnier.

I guess I just don’t get it. I remember doing push ups before taking the trash out without my shirt on. I must have been in high school.

What I didn’t understand then…was that if I had to do push ups for people to be impressed…I WAS TOO FUCKING SMALL.

[quote]fr0IVIan wrote:

[quote]Dreadlift wrote:

[quote]gregron wrote:

[quote]Dreadlift wrote:

Those are the only photos I have at the moment, I’ll take more pictures in the gym when I go later on.

As you can see I have a lot of fat to lose. When I take more pictures later on hopefully there’ll be better lighting.[/quote]

lol fat??

I see a scrawny little pup. if I played rugby I would love for you to get the ball so I could demolish you.

you are NOT fat. you lack MUSCLE.[/quote]

Well the picture doesn’t show it clearly cause of the lighting but I do have a lot of fat around the belly/waist.

I don’t think you got it so I’ll say it again… I play SCRUMHALF, the position that gets tackled the LEAST. It’s very rare for a small scrum half to get tackled in the game, maybe once or twice and that’s it. Try and demolish me as much as you want and waste your energy cause before you even get to me, I would’ve passed the ball out by then.