T Nation

Am I Eating Enough?

I really don’t know if im eating enough. I am trying to gain strength without gaining a lot of fat. This is what an average day looks like:

6ft 178 pounds
Meal 1: 5 eggs, scrambled (small amount of milk added)
Meal 2: 5 oz chicken, 1 cup rice (rice usually has 190 calories)
Meal 3: 5 oz chicken, 1 cup rice
Meal 4: Some type of meat (Pork,hamburger,chicken,ham), veggies, potatoes
Meal 5: Leftovers from meal 4

On my workout days (3 days a week) I drink Surge PWO. I am doing Madcow’s 5x5 program.

Am I getting enough food intake for my goals? Do I need to add some oatmeal to my breakfast to get an extra 200 calories?

are you trying to gain muscle? you probably should be as that’s a bit light for your height.

so, are you gaining weight? no?

then you’re not eating enough.

try adding more fats, protein, and veggies. probably some oatmeal is fine too.

are you allergic to fruit?

[quote]fisch wrote:
Am I getting enough food intake for my goals? Do I need to add some oatmeal to my breakfast to get an extra 200 calories?[/quote]

Are you making progress?

No one can tell you whether you’re eating enough. You just need to experiment through trial and error. The best formulas will only give you an estimate anyway.

If you’re not progressing, try increasing your caloric intake.

[quote]fisch wrote:
I really don’t know if im eating enough. I am trying to gain strength without gaining a lot of fat. This is what an average day looks like:

6ft 178 pounds
Meal 1: 5 eggs, scrambled (small amount of milk added)
Meal 2: 5 oz chicken, 1 cup rice (rice usually has 190 calories)
Meal 3: 5 oz chicken, 1 cup rice
Meal 4: Some type of meat (Pork,hamburger,chicken,ham), veggies, potatoes
Meal 5: Leftovers from meal 4

On my workout days (3 days a week) I drink Surge PWO. I am doing Madcow’s 5x5 program.

Am I getting enough food intake for my goals? Do I need to add some oatmeal to my breakfast to get an extra 200 calories?[/quote]

Meal 1: 5x70 = 350 calories…round out to 400 with milk.
Meal 2 & 3: approx 500 calories each…that’s 1000 calories for the two.
Meal 4: Lets just say 600 calories
Meal 5: Lets just say 400 calories

So that’s 2400 calories from just food…with my experience with calorie calculators, which tell you how much to eat to gain, I’d say this isn’t enough. Although, look at the scale…is your weight going up?

Well, I just changed my diet around a couple of weeks ago, so its hard for me to tell if im really gaining weight. I have gained 2 pounds since I started eating like this, so I would say I that is a good thing. idk if its fat or muscle though.

How do you feel? Are you ever hungry?

How long exactly did it take you to gain 2 lbs? Are you getting stronger in the gym?

quick calc said about 3300 cal should be “about” maintainence …

keep in touch with a scale; that’ll answer this thread.

I may not have many years experience, but I find it funny that if you have to ask, you probably already know the answer…I mean, if you were eating enough, the scale (and the mirror) would tell you, right? I mean if you kept track of how much you ate, and then you weren’t gaining, wouldn’t you just eat more?

I dunno…I can see where you come here for advice to START your diet, but if you’ve tried it and you aren’t gaining weight (especially at 178), can’t you sort of just…ya know, look at the scale and see nothing has happened?

[quote]fisch wrote:
Well, I just changed my diet around a couple of weeks ago, so its hard for me to tell if im really gaining weight. I have gained 2 pounds since I started eating like this, so I would say I that is a good thing. idk if its fat or muscle though.[/quote]

I gained 8 pounds between about 9:30am and 8:00pm Saturday. Weighed 4 pounds less the next morning and 5 pounds more than that by Sunday night again. Even a guy your size can sway by 2 pounds in a few hours.

yea… time will tell as will the scale and measuring tape. But if you havent been gaining, add the calories.

If you eat the same foods and you weigh yourself at the same time, on the same day, on the same scale, you’ll exclude the factors explained above.

[quote]acelement wrote:
I may not have many years experience, but I find it funny that if you have to ask, you probably already know the answer…I mean, if you were eating enough, the scale (and the mirror) would tell you, right? I mean if you kept track of how much you ate, and then you weren’t gaining, wouldn’t you just eat more?

I dunno…I can see where you come here for advice to START your diet, but if you’ve tried it and you aren’t gaining weight (especially at 178), can’t you sort of just…ya know, look at the scale and see nothing has happened?[/quote]

Yup. This stuff isn’t that hard.