T Nation

Am I Eating Enough? LG+IF

Hello everyone,

I’m ready to settle down and really lose this fat but I’m not sure if my calories are appropriate.

Mondays, Wednesdays, and Sundays I have roller derby practice. Practices are usually 1 to 2.5 hours long. There are some weeks were practices are only twice a week. We usually do some hardcore stuff for about an hour and then the rest of the day is a bit more lax. Thursdays, Saturdays, and Sundays I strength train at my powerlifting gym.

Lately, I haven’t been paying much attention to calories and am not seeing the scale budge. Although, I do feel myself getting stronger and faster. I see some difference in my body and waist.

I usually eat 1500-1700 calories on my nonstrength days and 2200-2300 on my strength days as I follow a leangains/if style of eating. Someone told me I may not be eating enough, but I’m not sure. I also want to start adding in more steady state cardio. I want to start going on 5 mile (+) walks everyday.

I’m 5’6", 176, and female. (I can provide pictures if necessary) I want to lose fat without sacrificing muscle. Would it be okay to 1800 calories on the day I play roller derby, 1600 on my rest days, and 2200 calories on my strength days or am I eating too little/much? Every calculator I use for calories gives me different answers and I’m a bit confused.

Thank you in advance for your responses.

-Kenya

what are you eating?

Mostly whole foods: meat, veggies, oatmeal, nuts, fruits but I do occasionally have frozen yogurt/dark chocolate on strength days.

I follow a sort of IF style of eating and eat anywhere from 50-100g carbs on rest days, 150-180 g protein, 50-70g fat on rest days. On strength days, carbs at roughly 200g, protein is 150g - 180g, and the rest of my calories are from fat.

I’m also not sure what kind of activity to consider myself in those calculators. I usually go for sedentary or lightly active since I work a desk job.

[quote]fluffytofit wrote:
Mostly whole foods: meat, veggies, oatmeal, nuts, fruits but I do occasionally have frozen yogurt/dark chocolate on strength days.

I follow a sort of IF style of eating and eat anywhere from 50-100g carbs on rest days, 150-180 g protein, 50-70g fat on rest days. On strength days, carbs at roughly 200g, protein is 150g - 180g, and the rest of my calories are from fat. [/quote]

Try lowering your protein and uping your fat. Even if I used the lower end of your protein intake and the upper end of your fat intake on off days your still getting too many calories from protein and not enough from fat. For Fatloss you really dont want Protein to be one of your major sources of energy.

Try less protein/more fat on off days, less protein/more carbs on training days. Keep calories the same to start and see how you go.

if you are getting stronger and recovering from your workouts then you are fine. Don’t worry too much about calorie calculators, they’re a pile of puke

Would you say 130-140 grams of protein should be enough? I would say mt bf is roughly 31% so that would make my lean mass like 120.

it probably wouldn’t hurt to increase it a little, but I don’t think it’s really necessary. Remember that protein keeps you feeling satiated for longer, and the more protein you eat the less room you have for junk :), but overdoing it won’t help.

Really, if what you are doing just now is working then you don’t need to change anything. Don’t worry too much about the scale not moving, as long as you are noticing changes in your waistline then you are doing fine.

there’s nothing wrong with your idea of going for walks. It’ll get you up and moving and that’s always a good thing.

[quote]rds63799 wrote:
it probably wouldn’t hurt to increase it a little, but I don’t think it’s really necessary. Remember that protein keeps you feeling satiated for longer, and the more protein you eat the less room you have for junk :), but overdoing it won’t help.

Really, if what you are doing just now is working then you don’t need to change anything. Don’t worry too much about the scale not moving, as long as you are noticing changes in your waistline then you are doing fine.

there’s nothing wrong with your idea of going for walks. It’ll get you up and moving and that’s always a good thing.[/quote]
Thats the thing. I think she IS overdoing the protein atm. If she is doing IF I dont think she has any problem with living with a bit of hunger. Putting a large amount of calories towards the end of the day will deal with satiation quite nicely provided she doesnt binge or eat during the fasted period. Fat is also great for satiation btw so if that really is an issue more fat never hurts.