T Nation

Am I Doing Too Much Too Soon?

Hi All,
I’ve been lifting for almost three months now and have a concern about maintaining back health without finding out one day that I did too much too soon. I had lifted on and off for years and went on a regular 1 year consistent streak until I got achilles tendonitis. I took 6 months off and now i’m back in the game.

Right from the start I was doing conventional deads, stiff leggeds/romanians, and bent over rows. My back feels great so I’m assuming that what I feel as heavy weight is ok for my body to handle. I’m doing 135lbs in the conventional deads, 115 lbs in SLDL/RDLs, and 115 lbs in bent over rows. I’m 36 years old, 6’4" and weight 220, but those weights still feel heavy for me. I feel that if I go heavier at this point I’m going to break something. I was researching more about the difference between SLDLs and RDLs and realized that what I thought was an SLDL was actually me doing an RDL. I keep my knees bent and my back arched. I begin the movement by sticking my ass out like I’m going to sit in a chair that’s far behind me and bend over until my back is parallel to the floor, all the while looking forward. I thought that was a SLDL, but from what I’ve read I was actually doing an RDL because I’m not lowering my back to the point where it rounds, and I have my knees bent, not straightened like on the SLDL.

Basically, I’m interested in knowing, am I using too much weight this early in my training? I feel like these are heavy weights and sometimes I worry that I’m putting my body through too much too soon. However, I do get a good workout and I don’t get back pain of any kind. Should I continue with the aforementioned loads (usually do 4 sets of each exercise at 6 -8 reps)???

Also, is what I’m really doing a romanian deadlift? And, is the romanian safer for the spinal discs than the SLDL?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

If you have to ask if its too much, then imo, its too much. Drop 10-20lbs off the bar and make sure your volume(sets and reps) are appropriate for yourself, not based on others.

The SLDL and Romanian are basically the same lift in a sense, though most won’t agree on the issue. The romanian generally starts at the top, uses hip flexion and a slight knee flexion to bring the bar down past the knees, then followed primarily with hip extension. The SLDL is generally done from the floor the same way, but variations of it depend on if the body is elevated to increase the range of motion, and whether the knees are locked(not the best for your SI joints imo) or slighty bent(much safer). Whatever you want to call it, just make sure your using proper form, have some progression in small increments, and you will prevent injuries from happening.

[quote]deadlift425 wrote:
If you have to ask if its too much, then imo, its too much. Drop 10-20lbs off the bar and make sure your volume(sets and reps) are appropriate for yourself, not based on others.

The SLDL and Romanian are basically the same lift in a sense, though most won’t agree on the issue. The romanian generally starts at the top, uses hip flexion and a slight knee flexion to bring the bar down past the knees, then followed primarily with hip extension. The SLDL is generally done from the floor the same way, but variations of it depend on if the body is elevated to increase the range of motion, and whether the knees are locked(not the best for your SI joints imo) or slighty bent(much safer). Whatever you want to call it, just make sure your using proper form, have some progression in small increments, and you will prevent injuries from happening. [/quote]

SLDL should mean stiff-leg deadlift, not straight-leg deadlift.

You never want to lift with the legs completely extended and locked.

I want to point out you’ve got two plates on the bar, and you’re asking if you’re ‘doing too much too soon’.

And your back feels okay.

And you’re lifting with good form (or so it sounds like. BTW, I’d say that’s an RDL, but really, it doesn’t matter).

And you’re not even middle-aged.

I guess the point is, what made you so worried?

[quote]Otep wrote:
I want to point out you’ve got two plates on the bar, and you’re asking if you’re ‘doing too much too soon’.

And your back feels okay.

And you’re lifting with good form (or so it sounds like. BTW, I’d say that’s an RDL, but really, it doesn’t matter).

And you’re not even middle-aged.

I guess the point is, what made you so worried?[/quote]

Yeah…as a horribly out-of-shape beginner myself 5 months ago (previous lifting experience in my mid-20s), I agree. 135 should be a pretty safe weight to handle in the deadlift assuming form is anywhere close to correct. One thing that has helped me is frequent lifting sessions…keeping the volume of individual workouts low enough that I keep the feel of the iron fresh in my mind and nervous system.

If you can handle 135 on the conventional dead, do it three days per week. Get your body USED to that weight, and then use that as a beginning point for something like Starting Strength.

Also, as I’ve gotten stronger, I notice that 135 still feels like 135. It’s not like it ‘feels lighter’ because me max is going up. It’s like everything continues to feel the same, but the top end just keeps extending…like magic.

Okay, that’s goofy, but it’s what I’ve experienced.