T Nation

Am I Doing It Right?

I train bjj 2-3 times per week so want to follow a template that will make me strong and keep me flexible. How does the below look?

Agile 8
Jumps/throws (3 sets x 5 reps)
Strength - 531 or 5 pro template (not sure which is "better")
Supplemental work - FSL multiple sets
Assistance work - abs/lower back/hamstrings
Conditioning - prowler work

Is it ridiculous to attempt this 3 times per week given i'm already doing bjj 2/3 times per week also? Would it be better to follow a 2 day per week template?

After reading the passing the torch article I was thinking of going with the following:

DAY 1
Agile 8
Jumps
Deadlift
Press
Assistance - abs,lower back,rows
Prowler sprints

DAY 2
Agile 8
Throws
Squat
Press
Assistance - abs, dips, push ups
Rower: 500m x2 with 60 sec rest

Day 3: Viking Day

Does this look okay for my goal? I’m trying to keep it simple, but I feel like I’m just over complicating things to reach my goal (strength, flexibility and conditioning)

[quote]furio wrote:
I train bjj 2-3 times per week so want to follow a template that will make me strong and keep me flexible. How does the below look?

Agile 8
Jumps/throws (3 sets x 5 reps)
Strength - 531 or 5 pro template (not sure which is “better”)
Supplemental work - FSL multiple sets
Assistance work - abs/lower back/hamstrings
Conditioning - prowler work

Is it ridiculous to attempt this 3 times per week given i’m already doing bjj 2/3 times per week also? Would it be better to follow a 2 day per week template? [/quote]

You will need to keep assistance to an absolute minimum if you don’t want to suffer on the mats constantly. If you are training bjj hard 3 days a week. Less is more when it comes to training outside of combat sports.

I would recommend the 5/3/1 for your strength and just work on one of the other area at a time. I think how you place your rest days is important too. Leaving a day or two off will be very helpful, but that means lifting and bjj in the same day most often. I have had much better results with 3 days a week lifting over 2.

Appreciate the reply - does the passing the torch template look like a better fit in that case? The assistance in that template will be all body weight based.

Finding it tough to focus on not doing too much and detracting from my overall goal of being a better bjj player.

[quote]furio wrote:
Appreciate the reply - does the passing the torch template look like a better fit in that case? The assistance in that template will be all body weight based.

Finding it tough to focus on not doing too much and detracting from my overall goal of being a better bjj player. [/quote]

BW stuff for assistance will probably suit you better IMO.

I wrote an article for 5/3/1 for MMA. Check out my website.

Training for sports is about common sense and throwing most of the bodybuilding dogma that strains strength training. ALL that matters is getting better at your sport. So do only what is necessary.

Thanks Jim, appreciate the reply.

[quote]Jim Wendler wrote:
ALL that matters is getting better at your sport. So do only what is necessary.[/quote]

I need to remind myself of this on daily basis.