Am I Crazy? Part II

[quote]mjnewland wrote:
i just wish more teams would kick the shit out of byu. i find it annoying when their teams are good. but I was ejumicated at utah state and univ of utah, the 2 biggest byu h8ers out there.[/quote]

Ouch.

I enjoyed going to law school there.

For what it is worth, most of the comments I got from people who went to the game was just what a class act the Oklahoma fans were. There was a lot of positive feedback about OU based on positive interactions people had with fans.

Saturday again. Amen. I get to workout and I may pass on watching college football. Maybe I’ll just check ESPN news for results and spare the 4 hour agony.
Meanwhile, good news on the shoulder. Two weeks now since my cortisone injection, have been doing everything possible to help it heal and I’ve had a week with no resting pain and three days with zero pain in ROM. So yesterday I nervously tried some upper body work. Did light dumbell work, curls, presses and such, fine so far. Then did some benches, 3 sets 10x135 and 4 sets 10x185, all fine with no pain. Did my squats up to 3x315 and called it a day. A great day.
I’m not ready to risk any major pulling, probably pushed my luck with the above but feel great today, just good soreness. But maybe today I’ll try some light cleans. Have a great weekend to all. Doc

[quote]Dr.PowerClean wrote:
Saturday again. Amen. I get to workout and I may pass on watching college football. Maybe I’ll just check ESPN news for results and spare the 4 hour agony.

Meanwhile, good news on the shoulder. Two weeks now since my cortisone injection, have been doing everything possible to help it heal and I’ve had a week with no resting pain and three days with zero pain in ROM. So yesterday I nervously tried some upper body work.

Did light dumbbell work, curls, presses and such, fine so far. Then did some benches, 3 sets 10x135 and 4 sets 10x185, all fine with no pain. Did my squats up to 3x315 and called it a day. A great day.

I'm not ready to risk any major pulling, probably pushed my luck with the above but feel great today, just good soreness. But maybe today I'll try some light cleans. Have a great weekend to all.     Doc[/quote]

I skipped the football too.

I’m starting squats, about to find out how much the bar on the Matrix Squat rack weighs (it seems non-standard). Glad you feel great today.

BTW, have you tried fish oil? I started for my triglycerides (got them from 300 to 100 that way, then changed my diet and exercise patterns).

There is some initial work that implies that they will help with prostate issues. My PSA is around .2 or .3 right now (doc tests it every year).

EL, I swear by fish oil. Think its helped me in many ways, joint, brain, metabolism. Number one supplement for me.
I worked out out today, had a nice bench workout, smooth 4 sets of 8x225 in the bench, no strain, no pain. Then went on and did some bar warmups in the clean and jerk, and then went to 3x135 and 3x155. Damn shoulder tweaked and talked to me during these…it said “You are too fucking old and beat up to Olympic lift, stick with powerlifting you dummy.”
I’m not nearly ready to cave to this, but if the worst result of all of this is that I relearned to squat heavy and can powerlift all three lifts decently, I should count my blessings. Doc

hey doc. do you ever do YTWL (or LYTP as it has been revised)? If not, you should try it. i do it as prehab/warmup for every training session, and it has helped my rotator cuff issues hugely. 'course, if your problem isn’t rotator cuff, it wouldn’t matter…

[quote]mjnewland wrote:
hey doc. do you ever do YTWL (or LYTP as it has been revised)? If not, you should try it. i do it as prehab/warmup for every training session, and it has helped my rotator cuff issues hugely. 'course, if your problem isn’t rotator cuff, it wouldn’t matter…[/quote]

Actually, this is new to me. I just checked it out…this looks better than the standard shoulder stretching I do. I am very stiff in my shoulders now, and perhaps the more I bench the more I develop anterior strength pulling my shoulders forward. Everyone who sees me (massage therapists, PT’s, etc) tell me my shoulders are sort of hunched in and forward. This pisses me off as I am trying to fix it…trying other things too like doing BNP, push presses behind the neck, and stretching on a wall or with a broomstick, ideas which I saw on this site.
I hate rubber balls but this LYTP makes sense and I’ll try it, thanks. Doc

Doc, as stated by someone above give the curcumin 500 a shot…i really wasn’t expecting much from it but it has allowed me to start deadlifting again after dealing with constant back pain for the last 6 months. You know i am pulling for you my friend.

YTWL and the rubber band dislocates before every upper body training session really helped my pissy shoulder.

[quote]mjnewland wrote:
hey doc. do you ever do YTWL (or LYTP as it has been revised)? If not, you should try it. i do it as prehab/warmup for every training session, and it has helped my rotator cuff issues hugely. 'course, if your problem isn’t rotator cuff, it wouldn’t matter…[/quote]

and

for people reading along who aren’t familiar with the terms.

[quote]Dr.PowerClean wrote:
mjnewland wrote:
hey doc. do you ever do YTWL (or LYTP as it has been revised)? If not, you should try it. i do it as prehab/warmup for every training session, and it has helped my rotator cuff issues hugely. 'course, if your problem isn’t rotator cuff, it wouldn’t matter…

Actually, this is new to me. I just checked it out…this looks better than the standard shoulder stretching I do. I am very stiff in my shoulders now, and perhaps the more I bench the more I develop anterior strength pulling my shoulders forward. Everyone who sees me (massage therapists, PT’s, etc) tell me my shoulders are sort of hunched in and forward. This pisses me off as I am trying to fix it…trying other things too like doing BNP, push presses behind the neck, and stretching on a wall or with a broomstick, ideas which I saw on this site.
I hate rubber balls but this LYTP makes sense and I’ll try it, thanks. Doc

[/quote]

I do the whole circuit face down on an incline bench with a low incline, and it works fine. They don’t have a ball big enough for my fat ass 8*)

Doc

if I dont do dislocates, lytp rubber band junk I cant bench, quat or clean…
kind of everything.

kmc

Thanks guys, lots of good input. I did the YTWL, I really like this because you dont need a PhD and Masters Degree to understand the concept. I hate the super scientific PT gurus, even though I’m a doctor and I know anatomy! When I did the YTML, as expected, I SUCK at Y’s, I mean it is pathetic. And of course, what is an olympic Snatch…an upright Y with weight. No wonder I hurt my shoulder.

Speaking of that, yesterday I warmed up, did my YTWL, broomstick dislocates, etc, and felt good. I only feel problems in certain positions, and I have come to believe I have a minor pull etc in a small muscle tendon in the rotators, not the biceps tendon. I tried some deadlifts and felt no pain. And then, I got carried away, because I am NUTS.
 Video to follow tonight, I need a new cable to upload to this Mac I have now. No worries, I didnt hurt myself.      Doc

Doc, on the ytwl, keep the weights super light, start at 5 lbs or less, and go for sets of 8-12. of the 4 movements, the y is my weakest too, but the “L” is what really helped my shoulder problems

Thats good news Doc. The W’s and L’s crippled me. After a few months I had really reduced the discomfort in my shoulder. My pain only came from pressing. When I pulled I had very little discomfort.

DL 1x500

Dang! i only dream of deadlifting 500. Great work!

I am such an idiot.
This is what happens when old people return to a young man’s sport.
I recently bought those cutely colored rubber bumper plates. In my day, we had bumpers, but they were all 45’s and they were all black. Those pretty yellow and green ones I got I didnt count right. I can’t seem to grasp lighter plates being full size. That deadlift is only 470, not 500.

I thought I felt so strong going up, an easy triple with 405, etc…except the whole time I was lifting 30 lbs less than I thought. I barely DL’d 475 with just regular plates a few weeks ago so it seemed weird I was so much “stronger.”
Well, I’m glad I realized it at least before someone called me on it.
I will definitely have to redeem myself with a real 500 very soon. Feel free to poke fun at me now. Sorry, Doc

I’ll send you my T-shirt that says

“I can lift a .235 ton”

my best is 405, and that was shaky. I am in awe of your 470.

Hey, I got my back-ordered Werksan training Olympic bar. Surprisingly smooth, almost no knurling, but man it is a thing of beauty while powercleaning today. Racking was FAR easier and I was able to get the bar in a better position on my chest.
I started with benches but this bar was NOT meant for benches… after 3 sets of reps with 225 I hated it for this…slippery and not as thick.
But the minute I started cleaning I had flashbacks to the good old days. No more reverse curl racking…almost instantly. Did the following:
5x135
4x185
3x225
2x255
1x275
1x290 APR*

APR is my new term…AGING PR. I’m serious…this matches my CPR of two years ago (comeback PR), but since I’m two years older, matching it is like a PR. Well, maybe this is bogus, but today made me happy. Especially since I was a bogus deadlifter just three days ago. Doc