Am I Big?

I just made some measurements and i want someone to tell me if im big for my age…i am 15 and i weigh 160lb.

Bicep - 12.5"
Forearms- 11"
Chest(around both arms)- 47"
Thigh- 21"
Calves-14 3/4 "
waist-32"

do i need 2 work on anything?..i havent worked out 2 long…this is in the beginning…i will post another set of measurements in about 6 weeks

How tall are you?

[quote]6stringsuperman wrote:
I just made some measurements and i want someone to tell me if im big for my age…i am 15 and i weigh 160lb.

Bicep - 12.5"
Forearms- 11"
Thigh- 21"
Calves-14 3/4 "
waist-32"

do i need 2 work on anything?..i havent worked out 2 long…this is in the beginning…i will post another set of measurements in about 6 weeks[/quote]

First off, who’s to say if you’re big or not?

Second, how tall are you? This means a lot when considering your weight.

Third, measure your chest under your arms – when I first saw 47" I thought “dayum, that’s a big chest for a dude with 12.5” arms."

Fourth, are your measurements cold or pumped? Flexed or relaxed?

Fifth, do you need to work on anything? Unless you’re content with being 160 lbs with arms under 13", I guess not! Seriously, we all need to work on things, so yes – you do too.

You don’t measure your chest around both arms. Lift your arms up.

I just measured my chest with my arms inside the tape. I like that measurement a lot better. I can almost hang with the chest sizes of the WSM guys.

Seriously. You are too young to be caught up in what the tape says. Eat smart, train smart, lose the tape measure, and the numbers will come.

Are better question for you would be “am I happy with how I look?”

The answer to that would be far more constructive.

[/quote]

No. Feel better? You have 12" arms. No one is big with 12" arms. 15 years old puts you in high school as possibly a freshman. You still have a lot of growing to do. No one judges how they will do in bodybuilding by how they looked at 15 outside of being ridiculously genetically gifted.

For the record, I have seen kids at my dad’s high school that look like I did after 3-4 years of serious training. Getting exposed to an inner city high school filled with lower to middle class students will let you know quickly how you rate among what’s really out there.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
6stringsuperman wrote:

No. Feel better? You have 12" arms. No one is big with 12" arms. 15 years old puts you in high school as possibly a freshman. You still have a lot of growing to do. No one judges how they will do in bodybuilding by how they looked at 15 outside of being ridiculously genetically gifted.

For the record, I have seen kids at my dad’s high school that look like I did after 3-4 years of serious training. Getting exposed to an inner city high school filled with lower to middle class students will let you know quickly how you rate among what’s really out there.[/quote]

NO

and nobody measures their chest around their arms. LIFT and EAT!

Read everything possible on this site, then get an idea of BIG. The best of luck to ya man!

Keep a food log and keep a training log, this will helpt to ‘assist’ in your ‘luck.’ the bottom line is, you’re 15 years old, lift hard and take advantage of them raging hormones.

ROCK! on

Yeah, you’ve come to the wrong place for an ego boost. I’m going to go out on a limb and say that anyone at any age who asks, “Am I big”, is not, and anyone who says, “do i need 2 work on anything?” needs to work on his grammar skills.

Nope, your not big. Im your age, and my measurements are all bigger than that… and I’m small. Work out till your 16, then come back and ask us again.

Oooh, and please spell your words next time. Its not that much more effort.

Great idea, I now have a chest that measures over 56 inches relaxed.

Here is some advice:

Eat healthy. You know the stuff your parents are always trying to get you to eat? Make sure to add in a lot of meat too.

Read this site and learn how to lift. Right now focus on the basic lifts such as squat, deadlift, chin, and dip.

Don’t worry about supplements right now, other then a multi vitamin. And then eat some more.

Didn’t you just have a post boosting your ego concerning how many chins you can do?

Get over yourself.

Stop looking for some type of measurement of where you are in respect to your bigness and physical prowess.

If you have to ask, you aren’t.

Yep forget the tape measure buddy, use the mirror it’s alot better guide to if you look good or ‘big enough’ and from your stats you still have plenty of growth to be doing!

You are prety big. I’ll bet when you were born you were around 8 lbs. So 160 is like 20 times bigger. What have you been eating?

Bicep - 12.5"
Forearms- 11"
Thigh- 21"
Calves-14 3/4 "
waist-32"

do i need 2 work on anything?..i havent worked out 2 long…this is in the beginning…i will post another set of measurements in about 6 weeks[/quote]

No, you are not big. But don’t worry about it-you’re 15. You need to work on everything. Lift hard and focus on compound movements. Eat smart. If you play a sport, just listen to what your coaches tell you. You will no doubt put on muscle from where you are even you do an endurance sport like distance running. It may not be the amount you want though. But if you’re interested in any sports, I would recommend playing rather than only focusing on bodybuilding and gaining muscle at this point. Plenty of time for that.

As an endurance athlete, I never gained any significant size until recently when I stopped competing and training at the level. But some of my best memories are from sports and being on a team. Some sports such as football and sprinting will clearly cultivate a lot of muscle. Have fun. Be young, play sports, train hard and appropriately for the sport you choose.

[quote]mindeffer01 wrote:
You are prety big. I’ll bet when you were born you were around 8 lbs. So 160 is like 20 times bigger. What have you been eating?

[/quote]

Holy shit. Where’s Ripley’s Believe It Or Not when you need them?

Keep playing your guitar–Don’t worry about getting big. At your age I wish I had done that instead of worry about my body and I would be Al DiMeola’s twin brother by now.

Fifteen is too young to be concerned with superficial stuff. I know you are being bombarded by images and standards from the media that make you feel inadequate but don’t worry that is normal for teenagers–even people well into their twenties and thirties. Keep lifting and eating right and sooner or later you will see changes.

Your body is trying to keep up with the demands of proper growth–you need to concern yourself with proper nutrition habits now while you can before it’s too late.

Read as much nutrition information you can find. Not just from this site. There are plenty of alternative sources out there–your school library for instance, or other journals and periodicles. The point is don’t get brainwashed by the information provided here. Also don’t get caught up on what you read here about what others here supposedly are or are capable of.

Just keep lifting–but not too heavy and you’ll be fine. When I was your age I couldn’t do one push up or pull up. I was fat and weak but years later I learned what I was capable of through trial and error and just kept at it until I was no longer that. You have that advantage over ohers now so don’t worry.

What the hell? Christ kid, get the hell over yourself! What is wrong with you? First you post asking us to validate how kick ass you are with chin ups…then you post asking us to tell you how huge you are for a little kid? Don’t post again unless you have something constructive to say or to ask a REAL beginner’s question…jesus…

Here is something that sticks with me to this day…

In one of my Organic Chem labs from college, I often compared my yield to that of my peers because I thought it would be a good gauge of my experiment success and my skills in the lab. One day there was a simple note in my lab book. It read, “Don’t compare you results to the results of others. You are reporting on your findings not the findings of your peers.”

As simple as it sounds. There was a unmistakable truth to it. To this day, I live by those words.

I dont know what the hell all you people are talking about with the chins post. That wasnt me. But i’ll put the tape measure up if that makes you feel better…dadgum