Am I An Easy Hard Gainer?

EDIT: Got the message loud and clear already. Thanks guys.

Hi guys. I’m new to T-Nation. I’m 22, 5’ 10", 141 lbs, and been working out in the gym only 2 months. I came across this article by Christian Thibaudeau: ‘Training for Easy Hard Gainers’, http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=498093 . It’s an old one from 2004.

I think I might fit the description of an Easy Hard Gainer and I’m doing things that Mr. Thibaudeau says an easy hard gainer must absolutely avoid. I have muscle tone that impresses some people at the gym when they hear that I’ve had it from before joining the gym.

But I had been doing some exercises even before starting gymming so I was wondering if the vets here could help me answer my question…am I an Easy Hard Gainer or have I just achieved some gains from following an ineffectual routine long enough?

“Easy-hard gainers share characteristics of both groups. They’re extremely fast-twitch dominant and have a very active metabolism (most are hyperthyroid). Externally these people are very lean; even when they don’t have much muscle mass you can clearly see muscle definition (even striations).”

Even though I have little muscle mass I can see striations on my shoulders when…erm…posing. I have always been skinny despite consuming junk food as much as I want. However as a child I wasn’t athletic or good at sports.

“These guys are also hyperactive and very energetic, even nervous or hyper-reactive sometimes (because of their hyperthyroidism). Normally they’re ecto-mesomorphs: they have a high shoulder/waist ratio, long arms and long legs. Even while thin, you can see muscles (contrary to the pure ectomorph). Their nervous systems are incredibly efficient as well (they’re basically wired for power and speed).”

I don’t think I’m hyperactive. But I am energetic.

I had a kind of a routine before I got intelligent and joined the gym:

Day 1, Chest and Abs: 3-5 sets pushups (to near failure), crunches, leg raises
Day 2, Arms: Dumbell curls, Hammer Curls/Concentration curls, Triceps extension, Kickbacks, Wrist curls, Reverse Wrist Curls (3 sets each, shamefully large amount of reps…20 or greater)
Day 3, Shoulders and Abs: Shoulder Press, Lateral Raise, Front Raise, Crunches, Leg Raises (3 sets each, Too many reps)

Did it 6 days a week for about an year (with increases in reps). Before that I had been doing pushups regularly for about 4 months and had gotten some shoulder, pectoral and tricep development from that.

So considering my weight and physique (pics attached) and past routine am I an Easy Hard Gainer or just a high metabolism guy with a wee bit of tone from following an inefficient routine for a long enough time?

I could just try the things Mr. Thibaudeau suggests for Easy Hard Gainers and see how things go but I don’t really have a reference point to compare my gains to. And I’m addicted to the gym so I want a good reason if I have to cut down to just a 45 min workout.

The pics (been working out for about 2 months but with only minor external changes in physique):

I dont see much mention of eating have you tried it. Put at least if not more effort into eating nutrition as the weights??

Phill

probably wouldn’t be a bad idea for you to hit legs and back … yea…

what the hell is your problem? was there a question in all that?

easy-hard-gainer is just a made up term, it doesn’t mean anything

you are a kid who is cut, has a bit of muscle, and probably runs around a lot and doesn’t eat enough.

EAT MORE.

Don’t worry about categories or categorizing yourself. Concentrate on a specific goal and a specific plan on how you are going to reach that goal. Everything usually works out in the end when you do this.

[quote]Sir Pumpsalot wrote:
Hi guys. I’m new to T-Nation. I’m 22, 5’ 10", 141 lbs, and been working out in the gym only 2 months. I came across this article by Christian Thibaudeau: ‘Training for Easy Hard Gainers’, http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=498093. It’s an old one from 2004.

I think I might fit the description of an Easy Hard Gainer and I’m doing things that Mr. Thibaudeau says an easy hard gainer must absolutely avoid. I have muscle tone that impresses some people at the gym when they hear that I’ve had it from before joining the gym.

But I had been doing some exercises even before starting gymming so I was wondering if the vets here could help me answer my question…am I an Easy Hard Gainer or have I just achieved some gains from following an ineffectual routine long enough?

“Easy-hard gainers share characteristics of both groups. They’re extremely fast-twitch dominant and have a very active metabolism (most are hyperthyroid). Externally these people are very lean; even when they don�??t have much muscle mass you can clearly see muscle definition (even striations).”

Even though I have little muscle mass I can see striations on my shoulders when…erm…posing. I have always been skinny despite consuming junk food as much as I want. However as a child I wasn’t athletic or good at sports.

“These guys are also hyperactive and very energetic, even nervous or hyper-reactive sometimes (because of their hyperthyroidism). Normally they’re ecto-mesomorphs: they have a high shoulder/waist ratio, long arms and long legs. Even while thin, you can see muscles (contrary to the pure ectomorph). Their nervous systems are incredibly efficient as well (they’re basically wired for power and speed).”

I don’t think I’m hyperactive. But I don’t sit still for long and constantly shift positions. And generally I only feel tired when I have to sit and study a lot. These days come back from (sit-on-ass-all-day) work at 7:30pm and hit gym at 8:30pm. Workout 1 1/2 to 2 hrs. Sleep at around 1am and don’t feel tired the next day 7:30am.

So energetic maybe. But then again aren’t Easy Hard Gainers supposed to feel burnt out after a 2hr workout? And I am pushing myself to failure or one rep below failure mostly so I don’t think I’m not pushing hard enough.

I had a kind of a routine before I got intelligent and joined the gym:

Day 1, Chest and Abs: 3-5 sets pushups (to near failure), crunches, leg raises
Day 2, Arms: Dumbell curls, Hammer Curls/Concentration curls, Triceps extension, Kickbacks, Wrist curls, Reverse Wrist Curls (3 sets each, shamefully large amount of reps…20 or greater)
Day 3, Shoulders and Abs: Shoulder Press, Lateral Raise, Front Raise, Crunches, Leg Raises (3 sets each, Too many reps)

Did it 6 days a week for about an year (with increases in reps). Before that I had been doing pushups regularly for about 4 months and had gotten some shoulder, pectoral and tricep development from that.

So considering my weight and physique (pics attached) and past routine am I an Easy Hard Gainer or just a high metabolism guy with a wee bit of tone from following an inefficient routine for a long enough time?

I could just try the things Mr. Thibaudeau suggests for Easy Hard Gainers and see how things go but I don’t really have a reference point to compare my gains to. And I’m addicted to the gym so I want a good reason if I have to cut down to just a 45 min workout.

The pics (been working out for about 2 months but with only minor external changes in physique):
[/quote]

[quote]Phill wrote:
I dont see much mention of eating have you tried it. Put at least if not more effort into eating nutrition as the weights??

Phill[/quote]

Thanks for the response. Yes I am putting more effort into nutrition since I joined the gym. Have increased protein intake though I am still below 1 g/lb of bodyweight. Have to work my way around some allergies as I try to get there.

[quote]Magarhe wrote:
what the hell is your problem? was there a question in all that?

easy-hard-gainer is just a made up term, it doesn’t mean anything

you are a kid who is cut, has a bit of muscle, and probably runs around a lot and doesn’t eat enough.

EAT MORE.

[/quote]

The post got too long I see but I thought I could edit it upon posting.

I don’t do any cardio or play any sports regularly.

[quote]Mad Titan wrote:
Don’t worry about categories or categorizing yourself. Concentrate on a specific goal and a specific plan on how you are going to reach that goal. Everything usually works out in the end when you do this.

[/quote]

Thank you. Am gonna take that advice. Got a bit too carried away by the article I guess.

No, you’re a guy who doesn’t eat enough, doesn’t work legs, and hasn’t worked out long enough to see any serious results.

Change the above.

You just are very lean. You’re definately not eating enough if you weigh 141 at 5’10 and you’ve been lifting for a year. Take a 1 day log of your regular diet and tell us how many calories you’re eating. Don’t worry so much about the breakdown. Your backs kind of a giveaway that points to you just being skinny and not really big or strong. Your lats have pretty minimal development. I doubt you’re an “easy hardgainer.” You just don’t eat enough and ya that programs pretty…bad.

I’m on it.

[quote]Skrussian wrote:
You just are very lean. You’re definately not eating enough if you weigh 141 at 5’10 and you’ve been lifting for a year. Take a 1 day log of your regular diet and tell us how many calories you’re eating. Don’t worry so much about the breakdown. Your backs kind of a giveaway that points to you just being skinny and not really big or strong. Your lats have pretty minimal development. I doubt you’re an “easy hardgainer.” You just don’t eat enough and ya that programs pretty…bad.[/quote]

Haha yes that program, if it can be called that, was pathetic. But I was just messing around. Now I’m very serious. I am still adjusting my diet and trying to increase protein intake. I am allergic to eggs and milk. I have also experienced reactions to whey protein when I tried taking more than one serving (24g) per day. So just gotta eat more meat I guess. Will work on that log and seek further advice from you guys soon.

[quote]Sir Pumpsalot wrote:

No, you’re a guy who doesn’t eat enough, doesn’t work legs, and hasn’t worked out long enough to see any serious results.

Change the above.

I’m on it.

Skrussian wrote:
You just are very lean. You’re definately not eating enough if you weigh 141 at 5’10 and you’ve been lifting for a year. Take a 1 day log of your regular diet and tell us how many calories you’re eating. Don’t worry so much about the breakdown. Your backs kind of a giveaway that points to you just being skinny and not really big or strong. Your lats have pretty minimal development. I doubt you’re an “easy hardgainer.” You just don’t eat enough and ya that programs pretty…bad.

Haha yes that program, if it can be called that, was pathetic. But I was just messing around. Now I’m very serious. I am still adjusting my diet and trying to increase protein intake. I am allergic to eggs and milk. I have also experienced reactions to whey protein when I tried taking more than one serving (24g) per day. So just gotta eat more meat I guess. Will work on that log and seek further advice from you guys soon.[/quote]

Good man.

You will be alright if you find some food. If you can’t eat whey, milk, eggs, that IS a problem, you will have to eat chicken, fish, meat etc… and a lot of it. But all that is better anyway. Make sure you eat a lot. At your age a whole chicken for me was a snack. Whole chicken + chips + coke = calories. Not exactly clean, but I was not fat at all like you and that kind of person needs calories.

Also, squat more

This is good reading for a beginner

Steak should be your friend. Chicken, tuna, salmon, walnuts, peanuts, rice, beans…

You should be eating all of these, every day.

And raisens, sultanas, spinach to balance out the acids of the meats. especially spinach, eat it in lots