T Nation

Always Training Raw

I've always said that I want to lift raw. Like even in the future, no matter how heavy my lifts get. I was wondering how possible this would be? I've had people tell me its not. I've never even used a belt, not that I need to but I mean I don't see why its not possible. Sure I might have to train more but it would be more rewarding to me.

[quote]swirly wrote:
I’ve always said that I want to lift raw. Like even in the future, no matter how heavy my lifts get. I was wondering how possible this would be? I’ve had people tell me its not. I’ve never even used a belt, not that I need to but I mean I don’t see why its not possible. Sure I might have to train more but it would be more rewarding to me.[/quote]

uh… why would it not be possible to lift raw at some point? look at modi of meat. there is no gear nazi that is going to come put a gun to your head.

Is it possible to lift heavy ass weight without gear? Yeah it is. Is it safe to maybe wear a belt when squatting heavy shit? Yes. Just be safe man… Kevin Garnett says anything is possible. Will it take time sure but so does everything else.

Sky’s the limit.

I can for instance deadlift 455lbs with no belt; not trying to brag here =).
Everytime some douche walks up to me in the gym [sometimes even a PT, I know it’s sad) and goes like: “Dood, you should use a belt, it’s safer for your back!” I just tell them that I don’t like the belt cutting into my abs (that actually makes me feel less stable) and that I enjoy the stability that sucking air into my stomach gives my spine. In my view, that’s really all the stability you need.

I just mean like if I start squatting 600-700 pounds some day is it reasonable to say I’m going to squat that raw? No belt, squat suit anything? This includes benching too.

[quote]swirly wrote:
I just mean like if I start squatting 600-700 pounds some day is it reasonable to say I’m going to squat that raw? No belt, squat suit anything? This includes benching too.[/quote]

Obviously it will be harder to lift that much w/o gear, but you can lift raw at any level of strength.

Ok, I just wanted to know. I mean, I didn’t know if it just got to hard on the body or something lol as dumb as that may sound.