T Nation

Always Atrophying Biceps

T followers, I’m going to need some help. Years I’ve delt with small BICEPS, my triceps are getting bigger with my workouts. I tried heavy back workouts due to pull movements. I tried preacher curls, heavy sets, hammer curls, almost every single god damn bicep workout, and each workout routine lasted 3 weeks. I worked them probably twice a week, then once a week, info down below.

17 years of age
height is 5’11
weight is 153lbs
Long arms…?
Strength training for now, 5x5 2-0-3 tempo, 70% weight
3100 calories a day
140g protein, 210g carbs, 50g fats

My chest and back are huge for my size, I can curl 120lbs, they don’t seem to grow. Any tips would be great guys.

Hola mi amigo!

While your biceps do seem to look a bit strange in that picture (insertion/muscle bellies) your problem is your weight.

You are 5’11 and only weigh 153 pounds. You are going to need to gain weight to get bigger biceps (obvi) and what do you do to gain weight? Eat more! You’re going to need to keep your nose to the grind in the weight room and up your calories till you’re growing/gaining weight.

For reference: I am your same height and in my Avi I weigh nearly 60lbs more than you. You’re going to need to gain weight, but don’t worry, you’re still young. Keep at it and you’ll get there.

Good luck!

[quote]gregron wrote:
Hola mi amigo!

While your biceps do seem to look a bit strange in that picture (insertion/muscle bellies) your problem is your weight.

You are 5’11 and only weigh 153 pounds. You are going to need to gain weight to get bigger biceps (obvi) and what do you do to gain weight? Eat more! You’re going to need to keep your nose to the grind in the weight room and up your calories till you’re growing/gaining weight.

For reference: I am your same height and in my Avi I weigh nearly 60lbs more than you. You’re going to need to gain weight, but don’t worry, you’re still young. Keep at it and you’ll get there.

Good luck![/quote]
Thanks man! Yeah you got arms I could only dreamed of having all homo lmao. Hopefully I’ll get their one day. But Im going to definitively have to hit the gym harder.

^^hitting the gym hard is all well and good but if you’re not resting enough and giving your body enough fuel (food) then you aren’t going to grow.

Hit the kitchen with the same ferocity that you hit the gym and your arms will grow… Your arms will pass up mine fa show.

[quote]Jaycuts wrote:
3100 calories a day
140g protein, 210g carbs, 50g fats[/quote]

Lol no man, that does not add up. The macro breakdown you gave is good for about 2250 calories. I’m not sure where you got the 3100 cals.

Gregron is right, you need to eat to grow. If you’re keeping the fats that low, I would definitely recommend bumping the carbs up. You could easily add 100g and that would give you a few hundred more calories. You could probably get away with 2+g carbs/lb BW if you’re active and/or training hard.

EDIT: Or was there a typo somewhere in there?

Gregron is steering you right there guy. “Hitting the gym hard doesn’t cut it, eating is even more critical.” I also began at well below your current weight. The most challenging part of the journey was eating every few hours month after month for a few years.

nobody gets to have 18inch arms or better @ 150lbs…it just isn’t possible.

make eating the other 1/2 of your training and you’ll eventually out grow your friends if you stick with it.

now…if you get to point wherein your thinking of a beard or mustache…beards are better for growing big muscles!

Gregron is steering you right there guy. “Hitting the gym hard doesn’t cut it, eating is even more critical.” I also began at well below your current weight. The most challenging part of the journey was eating every few hours month after month for a few years.

nobody gets to have 18inch arms or better @ 150lbs…it just isn’t possible.

make eating the other 1/2 of your training and you’ll eventually out grow your friends if you stick with it.

now…if you get to point wherein your thinking of a beard or mustache…beards are better for growing big muscles!

[quote]cyruseven75 wrote:

now…if you get to point wherein your thinking of a beard or mustache…beards are better for growing big muscles! [/quote]

that’s absolutely true. In a study I saw on pubmed, beards raised awesomeness in a clinical setting by 87%

What do you eat on an average day?
By my calculations what you eat comes out to a lot less calories than you think. 4 calories per gram of carb and protein and 9 calories per gram of fat -->> ((140 + 210) * 4) + (50 * 9) = 1850 calories.

[quote]gregron wrote:

your problem is your weight.

[/quote]

this.
Mine gained 1 inch in 3 months after 1 year of training and stagnation…when I added calories.

Mathieu
PS. the best routine I’ve tried : Thib’s back and arms day from Indigo hypertrophy workout

Eat more, especially protein. You aren’t even eating 1g of protein per lb of bodyweight. Bump this up to 220 or so, if you can afford to in your situation. And stop “curling” 120lb lol. Lower the weight and focus on using your biceps.

Btw, with your insertions, you’ll probably never really like your biceps. I have the same issue (huge gap between elbow and lower biceps).

Thanks everyone! I greatly appreciate it! And btw I already got somewhat of a husky beard :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Chicks dig that shit

[quote]The Rattler wrote:
By my calculations what you eat comes out to a lot less calories than you think. 4 calories per gram of carb and protein and 9 calories per gram of fat -->> ((140 + 210) * 4) + (50 * 9) = 1850 calories. [/quote]

Lol yeah it’s 1850, that’s what I get for trying to calculate shit after taking the melatonin

Stop using dip.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
Stop using dip. [/quote]

this.

[quote]bigmac73nh wrote:

By my calculations what you eat comes out to a lot less calories than you think. 4 calories per gram of carb and protein and 9 calories per gram of fat -->> ((140 + 210) * 4) + (50 * 9) = 1850 calories. [/quote]

Lol yeah it’s 1850, that’s what I get for trying to calculate shit after taking the melatonin[/quote]

If I was only eating 1850 calories a day then I’d add it up wrong too. This is definitely the issue here.

OP, write out what you eat on an average day. We can give you suggestions to bump up your calories. If you were truly eating 3100 calories a day then you wouldn’t have a problem gaining weight I don’t think.

[quote]bigmac73nh wrote:

Lol yeah it’s 1850, that’s what I get for trying to calculate shit after taking the melatonin[/quote]

If I was only eating 1850 calories a day then I’d add it up wrong too. This is definitely the issue here.

OP, write out what you eat on an average day. We can give you suggestions to bump up your calories. If you were truly eating 3100 calories a day then you wouldn’t have a problem gaining weight I don’t think. [/quote]

3100 cals at low 150’s is fairly retarded IMO. If the macros he dropped are correct, then even a few hundred extra calories should get things rolling on the growth. There’s no reason to go overkill and manufacture fatass issues.

I think the easiest fix here is to bump the carbs up to 300g and add a little bit of protein (1g/lb BW is good and he’s slightly under that). That should help build muscle and strength without requiring OP to completely rework macros. I’d be pretty shocked if gains didn’t start coming just by doing that.

He’s 150, no reason for him to major in the minors or go shithouse and overeat like crazy. Leaving room to bump cals up if gains stall is always helpful.

^^DING DING DING! We have a winner! Haha

That would be my recommendation. Bump up carbs and protein (1.25-1.5g per lb) and see how things go. If they’re not progressing add some more carbs… Rinse and repeat.

Also, OP, you said that each routine lasted 3 weeks? Don’t change up your routine so often. Find one you like, stick with it and just try to up your reps/weight every week… And MAKE SURE that you’re actually feeling the muscle working and not just slinging weights around. Doesn’t have to be textbook strict form all the time but you should be moving the weight with the desired muscle group.

[quote]bigmac73nh wrote:

[quote]bigmac73nh wrote:

OP, write out what you eat on an average day. We can give you suggestions to bump up your calories. If you were truly eating 3100 calories a day then you wouldn’t have a problem gaining weight I don’t think. [/quote]

3100 cals at low 150’s is fairly retarded IMO. If the macros he dropped are correct, then even a few hundred extra calories should get things rolling on the growth. There’s no reason to go overkill and manufacture fatass issues.

I think the easiest fix here is to bump the carbs up to 300g and add a little bit of protein (1g/lb BW is good and he’s slightly under that). That should help build muscle and strength without requiring OP to completely rework macros. I’d be pretty shocked if gains didn’t start coming just by doing that.

He’s 150, no reason for him to major in the minors or go shithouse and overeat like crazy. Leaving room to bump cals up if gains stall is always helpful.[/quote]

Just to clarify I wasn’t suggesting that he eats 3100 calories a day. Just that if he was then he wouldn’t be having an issue with gaining size/weight.

Morning: A bowl of oatmeal, fruit + whey protein which contains 24g of protein, 210 calories. With 4 pancakes…idk haha fills me up. Pills: Multi vitamin, flaxseed, and rez-v

11am snack: Banana, usually something carb loaded

Lunch: Pot of Mac and cheese, another whey protein shake, 3 slices wheat bread with organic cream cheese.
Post workout: mass gainer not gonna say which one due to rules on here, amino pills

Night: 6oz skirt steak, baked potatoe, 2 slices of wheat bread.