T Nation

Alternatives to Dips, Chins, and Pull-Ups

So today the only thing I could use at my cheap ass gym to strap on weights broke and the guy said he would get a new one but until then with dips, chins, and pull ups I’m kind of out of luck.

Today I had dips and pull ups in my exercises so I just did 5xmax reps on the dip machine and I did lat pulldowns instead of pull ups.

Please help me.

How much weight do you usually need to add? I am not sure where you live but I use to have a length of rope I bought at the Hardware store I doubled up/over a few times and fashioned a crude belt out of it. Lasted for some time and if it broke I would just buy a new one. If you need some additional padding just add a towel around the outside. Should set you back all of 10 bucks.

I know this sounds trite but you might look into investing in your own belt. I bought one and not only does it stay in good condition I know I’ll always have one when I need it.

If that doesn’t work try one arm variations.

why not buy your own belt? you’re not a ``cheap ass’’ are you? :slight_smile:

Like someone else said how much weight are you trying to use? I’ve held them between me legs plenty of times.

Well on my 5x5 dips I’m using 125lbs of extra weight so that would be pretty difficult, only 35 on the chins and pull ups though.

I may have to look into getting my old belt but the only thing is I’m going to college in three months and I don’t know what kind of equipment they have so it’s probably a good investment.

You can do pullups on the smith machine with your feet on a bench and weights on your lap. I forgot what they’re called.

[quote]BxExNx wrote:
You can do pullups on the smith machine with your feet on a bench and weights on your lap. I forgot what they’re called.[/quote]

Supine Row or inverted row is what I’ve heard that called.

What about wearing a backpack and putting the weights inside, 35 pounds could fit in there easily but 125 may be iffy.

Until your Dip Belt ships, the obvious choices to replace Dips and Chins are

Bench Press
Lat-Pulldowns
Machine Bench Press
Rows of All Sorts
Weighted “Dogg” Chins.

To do a “Dogg” Chin, you’ll need a training partner, a rack or a smith machine, an adjustable bench, and some weight.

Set the barbell in the smith machine or on the safety pins at about neck height. Hanging from there, you’ll put both your feet up on the top of the incline bench. Your body should obviously be in a V-shape. Have your training partner place a dumbbell in your lap with you hanging there. Now, knock out some reps. When you finish the set, you’ll need your partner to help you get the weight off.

You can also just do Dips and Chins by holding dumbbells between your thighs and crossing your legs. It’s really not that hard to do.

This might be a good time to switch things up and do Military Press and Rows instead of Chins and Dips.

[quote]PF_88 wrote:
BxExNx wrote:
You can do pullups on the smith machine with your feet on a bench and weights on your lap. I forgot what they’re called.

Supine Row or inverted row is what I’ve heard that called.

What about wearing a backpack and putting the weights inside, 35 pounds could fit in there easily but 125 may be iffy.[/quote]

He’s talking about rack chins, not inverted rows.

http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&q=progryp+dip+belt&price1=&price2=25.00&lnk=prsugg

Progryp leather dipping belt… 30 bucks shipped. I’ve put 135 on it for dips (barely 1 rep, not 5) and it held up fine

Mine snapped repping 180 for reps after 6 months of use. I still have to talk to their customer service. ~ the chain split.

Rack “Dogg” Chins

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=309&pid=1784

This is THE Dip Belt.

Drop the extra cash and get this bright
yellow beauty. I love mine.

Iron Mind De Reguer Belt. Cant go wrong with that at all… can hold massive amounts of weight without skipping a beat

[quote]FightingScott wrote:
Rack “Dogg” Chins

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j67qilevp9E [/quote]

Yeah those.

Try sternum pull-ups and muscle-ups.

I keep reading about how bad weighted dips are for your shoulders, try close grip bench on flat, incline, and the decline bench. The decline will hit all three heads. If you want to continue with dips, do 3 sets till failure with no weight afterwards.

Here’s a cool place to learn a wide array of bodyweight stuff you can do.

http://www.bodyweightculture.com/forum/

[quote]BxExNx wrote:
You can do pullups on the smith machine with your feet on a bench and weights on your lap. I forgot what they’re called.[/quote]

These are rack chins - and the same as the “supine row” above

[quote]RawMinded wrote:
I keep reading about how bad weighted dips are for your shoulders, try close grip bench on flat, incline, and the decline bench. The decline will hit all three heads. If you want to continue with dips, do 3 sets till failure with no weight afterwards.[/quote]

As if benching is any better?
Their really arent many “dangerous” exercises, just dangerous in how improperly exercises are performed. For me, dips havent caused me any problems for my shoulders at all in comparision to only but problems when I did bench (which has been eons ago).