Alternatives to Barbell Rows

Hey guys, did some searching around and didnt find much. What are some good alternatives to barbell rows? I have lumbar disc issues and doing them hurts way too much, and i find myself cheating severely when I do them unilaterally with dumbbells. seated cable rows? machines?

Chest supported rows might do the trick for ya.

use dumbells. you will prob feel them alot more than bb rows and it might not hurt your back

ok, thanx guys thatll work

fat man pullups aka BW rows are good, and seated cable rows are good.

To add to that list, if your gym has a hammer strength chest-supported row, that would be a great alternative as well.

Inverted rows, chest supported rows(machine and cable), chest supported t-bar row.

[quote]crod266 wrote:
use dumbells. you will prob feel them alot more than bb rows and it might not hurt your back[/quote]

with BB, i can pull it towards my stomach / hip and not feel back pain. Then i read the correct way to do them was to pull it toward your lower chest with your back as parrallel to the floor as possible. NOw that hurt my back like crazy.

So if I do DB, am I pulling towards my hip or lower chest? I have no problem pulling towards my hips but i have never tried lower chest.

http://www.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=2289663

[quote]skimmy_jimmy wrote:
Hey guys, did some searching around and didnt find much. What are some good alternatives to barbell rows? I have lumbar disc issues and doing them hurts way too much, and i find myself cheating severely when I do them unilaterally with dumbbells. seated cable rows? machines?[/quote]

Hi!..just find your post, I got a lumbar disc issue too, not an hernia but close to it, on L5 S1 disc.

Just want t know, what do you do for legs?
Im doing squat with little weight (92 kilos), but dont know what other excercises can I do, with out hurting my self again.

I dont go to a gym, I got my gym at home, free weight only. So Im thinking on buying a machine maybe a leg press, but dont know.

thanks.

dont worry too much about cheating on db rows, just do your best. look up “kroc rows” on youtube and you’ll see that one of the strongest men in the world “cheats” on them with good results.

[quote]GettingBigNow wrote:
crod266 wrote:
use dumbells. you will prob feel them alot more than bb rows and it might not hurt your back

with BB, i can pull it towards my stomach / hip and not feel back pain. Then i read the correct way to do them was to pull it toward your lower chest with your back as parrallel to the floor as possible. NOw that hurt my back like crazy.

So if I do DB, am I pulling towards my hip or lower chest? I have no problem pulling towards my hips but i have never tried lower chest.[/quote]

yea bb rows theres alot of leeway that you can use as far as where to pull it, but db rows theres only really one path. Set up on a bench as you normaly would for a 1-arm db row and let your arm hang freely, now imagine pulling your elbow basically up in the most natrual way. When your elbow meets the rest of your body when your pulling up it shoud form a right angle. You could always youtube it and it will show you.

[quote]ramirezrocha wrote:
skimmy_jimmy wrote:
Hey guys, did some searching around and didnt find much. What are some good alternatives to barbell rows? I have lumbar disc issues and doing them hurts way too much, and i find myself cheating severely when I do them unilaterally with dumbbells. seated cable rows? machines?

Hi!..just find your post, I got a lumbar disc issue too, not an hernia but close to it, on L5 S1 disc.

Just want t know, what do you do for legs?
Im doing squat with little weight (92 kilos), but dont know what other excercises can I do, with out hurting my self again.

I dont go to a gym, I got my gym at home, free weight only. So Im thinking on buying a machine maybe a leg press, but dont know.

thanks.

[/quote]

you could always try lunges or front squats

While I’ve never felt comfortable with the supported row devices I’ve tried (they just hurt my chest), I have used dumbells while lying face down on an incline bench, and felt a great contraction from it. Didn’t have to go to heavy either.

S

[/quote]

Dude then don’t do them that way! Pull to your stomach and don’t lean that far forward…which is what I have heard is the “correct” way to do them.

…Of course the REAL correct way is the way that stimulates your muscles without causing joint pain.

[quote]NateOrade wrote:
GettingBigNow wrote:

Dude then don’t do them that way! Pull to your stomach and don’t lean that far forward…which is what I have heard is the “correct” way to do them.

…Of course the REAL correct way is the way that stimulates your muscles without causing joint pain.[/quote]

that is true but its probably better to just drop it all together

[quote]crod266 wrote:
NateOrade wrote:
GettingBigNow wrote:

…Of course the REAL correct way is the way that stimulates your muscles without causing joint pain.

[/quote]

Well what happened was i spent about a year deadlifting by rouding my back and now i feel strain when im in a rounded back position or if i do rows with high reps or go for a PR deadlift where my back rounds SLIGHTLY.

Should i make aconcious effort to arch my back inward?

BTW, if i go to the doctor, i know he will say never do squats or DL again so im not looking forward to that

crod266 wrote:
NateOrade wrote:
GettingBigNow wrote:

Well what happened was i spent about a year deadlifting by rouding my back and now i feel strain when im in a rounded back position or if i do rows with high reps or go for a PR deadlift where my back rounds SLIGHTLY.

Should i make aconcious effort to arch my back inward?

BTW, if i go to the doctor, i know he will say never do squats or DL again so im not looking forward to that[/quote]

well im not positive but I think if he made an effort to keep it straight you might think its going insward but like you said when it rounds slightly it probably will be straight if your making an effort. IT could also help to do some mobility drills. I would ask this to Eric Cressey in his locker room and he might be able to give you some info on it. Also if Its giving you a problem though I wouldnt even do bb rows. Most people find better results using over things like those provided in this thread

I started doing 1 arm bentover DB rows (opposite knee and hand on a bench) and I absolutely love them.

I’ve had a history of “tweaking” my back on occasion and the last two times it happened it was while doing barbell rows.

With DB’s…I’m able to lift more and I really feel it in my lats which is awesome.

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
While I’ve never felt comfortable with the supported row devices I’ve tried (they just hurt my chest), I have used dumbells while lying face down on an incline bench, and felt a great contraction from it. Didn’t have to go to heavy either.

S
[/quote]

MS-

This is an awesome variation.