Alternative Views on Vaccines

Zep, provide proof, hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah.

1 Like

Never underestimate the ability of people to incorrectly infer causation from correlationā€“especially when the person is a grieving, distraught parent looking for someone/thing to blame for their childā€™s shattering, life-altering diagnosis. And when such individuals have ready access to a community of similarly devastated parents, itā€™s all too easy for them to convince each other their unrelated anecdotes constitute actual evidence.

8 Likes

My goal is not to get anyone to believe that vaccines are bad only to deliver this story.

Make up your own mind but the episodes ought to be watched. That is all.

Scholarly articles and video testimonials are nothing but lies.

Again, watch the episodes you never know what you may learn.

Weā€™ve been over this in your other thread.

1. Most of the ā€œscholarly articlesā€ you proivide are not actually what say they are. I know this because I design, conduct, analyze, and publish clinical trials for a living. I have written detailed breakdowns before in your thread on stem cell research.

2. Video testimonials are anecdotes. The plural of anecdote is not evidence, which is why we conduct large-scale scientific studies: because larger studies are necessary to confirm or deny what we ā€œthinkā€ is happening in those anecdotes.

Youā€™re saying this to a room that includes a practicing physician, a cell biologist, and a director of biostatistics. This ainā€™t our first rodeo, pal.

1 Like

Speaking of scholarly evidence, how about this:

In the largest-ever study of its kind, researchers again found that the measles-mumps-rubella (MMR) vaccine did not increase risk for autism spectrum disorder (ASD). This proved true even among children already considered at high risk for the disorder.

ā€œTaken together, some dozen studies have now shown that the age of onset of ASD does not differ between vaccinated and unvaccinated children, the severity or course of ASD does not differ between vaccinated and unvaccinated children, and now the risk of ASD recurrence in families does not differ between vaccinated and unvaccinated children.ā€

4 Likes

ā€œA second reason that some people think MMR vaccine may cause autism stems from a 1998 study published in the Lancet in the United Kingdom. One of the authors claimed that MMR vaccine could contribute to the development of autism. This study received a great deal of media coverage. It was followed by many larger population studies totaling thousands of children and
conducted in several countries, including the U.S. These studies found that MMR vaccine is not responsible for a rise in autism. It is also important to note, that 10 of the 13 authors of the
1998 Lancet study have withdrawn their support of the article. In 2010, the British General Medical Council found the lead author of the study guilty of professional misconduct, the Lancet retracted the 1998 article, and the studyā€™s lead author has lost his license to practice medicine in the UK. Further, in January 2011, the British Medical Journal (BMJ) published a series of articles that conclude that the data in the 1998 study were misrepresented or altered.ā€

#Science

2 Likes

Twenty epidemiologic studies have shown that neither thimerosal nor MMR vaccine causes autism. These studies have been performed in several countries by many different investigators who have employed a multitude of epidemiologic and statistical methods. The large size of the studied populations has afforded a level of statistical power sufficient to detect even rare associations. These studies, in concert with the biological implausibility that vaccines overwhelm a childā€™s immune system, have effectively dismissed the notion that vaccines cause autism. Further studies on the cause or causes of autism should focus on more-promising leads.

6 Likes

\thread

2 Likes

To be honest, I would be fine if the thread continues. However, I would like it to resemble a reasonably fact-based discussion rather than the faux-science that anti-vaxxer threads usually devolve into.

@ChickenLittle: with all respect to your situation (and I respect your right to take the post down), stories like yours are exactly what Andrew Wakefield preyed on. He knew that there was an opportunity to get famous by publishing a (fake!!) study that would tug at peopleā€™s heartstrings, could be easily sold to upset parents, and it started a wild-goose chase that resulted in vaccines being studied over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. Without question, vaccines are the most-studied, most-known-to-be-safe-drug that is used with any regularity. The stupidest thing that comes up in these discussions is the idea that somehow ā€œboth sides of the story need to be toldā€ or people saying ā€œLook, Iā€™m not against vaccines, I just want to make sure weā€™ve studied them enough to know that theyā€™re safe.ā€ That chapter has been written, the ink is dry, and the book is closed. Anyone that tells you otherwise is lying.

2 Likes

No smoke without fire. You canā€™t prove scientifically most things.

Thatā€™s why Iā€™ll never take the flu shot. Makes me laugh that people actually paid for those things in college.

I donā€™t have an opinion on vaccines for major diseases.

Goddammit not thisā€¦please not this thread againā€¦

2 Likes

So, so trueā€¦ I might have an aneurysm though

Oh dear, we have a Zeppelin sighting. Somebody get Raj in here and let the two of them duke it out.

Listen guys Iā€™m no internet psychoanalyzer expert but Iā€™m pretty sure you fellas with the fancy jobs and lernins and what not is gettin trolled by @Zeppelin795.

4 Likes

https://www.cellmedicine.com/stem-cell-therapy/news/stem-cell-institute-panama-news/page/

https://www.cellmedicine.com/stem-cell-therapy/video-stem-cell-therapy/stem-cell-lectures/

Lectures along with links on information of stem cell benefits, risks etc.

I understand therapeutic results on people donā€™t count for much in your world but do you really think that knowing exactly how this works vs. the actual results is something that primarily concerns people with diseases?

We shall see the information provided by the other side before a decision is made.

Am I missing the link between stem cell research and vaccines? How is this germane?

So studies can be misrepresented or altered? that conclude that the data in the 1998 study were misrepresented or altered."