T Nation

Alternative to Lat Pulldowns

Hi,

Would someone mind suggesting an alternative to Lat Pulldowns. Specifically and non-machine workout and if possible one that comprises the use of dumb bells.

Thanks,
e

Uhh…I hear that these things called chin-ups and pull-ups are sometimes alright.

[quote]Ronsauce wrote:
Uhh…I hear that these things called chin-ups and pull-ups are sometimes alright.[/quote]

Umm, ya, heard of those… being a beginner at this… I can’t lift my body weight.

Anything else?

You can do the static hold or controlled negative variations of chins/pull-ups. Use a stool or something to help yourself get into the ‘top’ position of the movement, then try to hold yourself there for a while unassisted, or you can slowly lower yourself in a controlled fashion and repeat. Do that enough and you should eventually build up enough strength to do a regular chin/pull-up.

You can also use large elastic bands to give you a bit of help in doing regular chins/pull-ups.

You should really just try using the search function. I’m sure you can find plenty of threads about starting chin-ups.

[quote]errico wrote:
Ronsauce wrote:
Uhh…I hear that these things called chin-ups and pull-ups are sometimes alright.

Umm, ya, heard of those… being a beginner at this… I can’t lift my body weight.

Anything else?
[/quote]

Buy a resistance band and do band-assisted pull-ups/chin-ups.

Thanks guys,

Can I get your opinion on this:

www.bodylastics.com/back.html

In general, if the excercise targets the same muscle group(s) as other excercises, then are they acceptable alternatives?

Do you work out at home? Really a band for rows just would not cut it unless you are a girl. Assisted pullups will be the best,and what is the prob with lat pulldowns? If you don’t you realy need to be in a gym to me a beginner can’t do shit on his own with out being around people that can lift. The only way to learn is to watch those that do.

Do you work out at home? Really a band for rows just would not cut it unless you are a girl. Assisted pullups will be the best,and what is the prob with lat pulldowns? If you don’t you realy need to be in a gym to me a beginner can’t do shit on his own with out being around people that can lift. The only way to learn is to watch those that do.

[quote]sevenmoist wrote:
Do you work out at home? Really a band for rows just would not cut it unless you are a girl. Assisted pullups will be the best,and what is the prob with lat pulldowns? If you don’t you realy need to be in a gym to me a beginner can’t do shit on his own with out being around people that can lift. The only way to learn is to watch those that do.[/quote]

Yes, at home. I need a non machine workout that will target the same area.

I plan on doing the V-Diet but don’t want to fail just because I can’t get to a gym.

[quote]errico wrote:
sevenmoist wrote:
Do you work out at home? Really a band for rows just would not cut it unless you are a girl. Assisted pullups will be the best,and what is the prob with lat pulldowns? If you don’t you realy need to be in a gym to me a beginner can’t do shit on his own with out being around people that can lift. The only way to learn is to watch those that do.

Yes, at home. I need a non machine workout that will target the same area.

I plan on doing the V-Diet but don’t want to fail just because I can’t get to a gym.[/quote]

It’s better to ask Chris Shugart or Chad Waterbury in regards to training during the V-Diet, though I’ve got the feeling they’re going to say assisted pull-ups (using bands, partner etc).

I really wonder if the V-Diet is necessary. I mean, 230lbs at 6’5" isn’t that flubbery, and I doubt there’d be a ton of quality muscle underneath. Is there a reason you aren’t just going to eat well while sticking with a solid, heavy program for a good length of time instead?

[quote]Ronsauce wrote:
I really wonder if the V-Diet is necessary. I mean, 230lbs at 6’5" isn’t that flubbery, and I doubt there’d be a ton of quality muscle underneath. Is there a reason you aren’t just going to eat well while sticking with a solid, heavy program for a good length of time instead?[/quote]

After the V-Diet I’ll go long term healthy… right now I need a kick start.

don’t go too crazy too quickly, because you’ll just quit. Take the fitness thing on gradually.

[quote]BSrunner wrote:
don’t go too crazy too quickly, because you’ll just quit. Take the fitness thing on gradually. [/quote]

I’ll be ok… I think.

I’ve been doing cardio for over a year now. Not enough or not eating properly or both.

In fact I’ve gained weight (fat). I can run like I’ve never run before but my gut is growing and now developing breasts… yay for boobs.

Anyway, looked over the forums and found a similar question regarding the lats and Chad mentioned that Bent Over rows would be acceptable.

…Now waiting for the products to arrive…

Any suggestions if any for pre-conditioning preperations? I was thinking I should maybe eat Vegetarian until I start the program so my insides get a good cleansing (fibre and all). That’s my only thought on it.

There’s no reason you can’t get plenty of fiber while still eating meat.

This is jsut my 2 cents, but…
I think you’re friggin’ crazy to do the V-Diet. I mean, personally, I’m not a massive fan of it anyway, but as a beginner that can’t perform BW exercises(both chins and pull-ups are staple upper-body strength exercises) you probably won’t look all that good after it…

Why not just eat at a mild caloric deficit while lifting properly for a while if you really want to lose weight and get stronger…?
(Would be ahell of a lot cheaper than the V-Diet, also)

Like I said though, just my two cents

[quote]Jereth127 wrote:
This is jsut my 2 cents, but…
I think you’re friggin’ crazy to do the V-Diet. I mean, personally, I’m not a massive fan of it anyway, but as a beginner that can’t perform BW exercises(both chins and pull-ups are staple upper-body strength exercises) you probably won’t look all that good after it…

Why not just eat at a mild caloric deficit while lifting properly for a while if you really want to lose weight and get stronger…?
(Would be ahell of a lot cheaper than the V-Diet, also)

Like I said though, just my two cents[/quote]

Everyone goes through a learning curve.

True, but I think most people on this site would say that the V-Diet is not for rank beginners.

[quote]errico wrote:

Everyone goes through a learning curve.[/quote]

And, it’s up to you to decide on how steep the curve is for you.

learn basic nutrition first (timing, macros, choices, pwo etc) then diet down. When you have only 20lb to go, then go ahead with the V-Diet if you want.

The V-Diet is a HUGE shock to your habits if you are a rank beginner and doing everything at once means a higher probability of failure.

I appreciate your concerns but when comparing one to another - the V-Diet does offer a lot of simplicity. Just drink this and do these excercises - That’s it.

The training program may be difficult but not impossible, even for moi. I’ll sweat through it. It’ll just take longer to finish the required reps.

I don’t know what else to say. You’re absolutely right, but I’ve already gone ahead with it… waiting for the order of products…

Also, 20lbs is probably all I really need to lose. If 20lbs of fat could disappear I think I’d look pretty good.