T Nation

Alternative to Intelligent Design

[quote]Gregus wrote:
Once it proves itself effective and is around in 500-1000 years it will be credible.[/quote]

Please define “effective.”

It’s not so much a dig at religion as trying to impress on people that non-science should not be taught as science in school. The original letter was not intended to start a new religion, obviously, but to try and show the school board what is appropriate to teach in school.

I personally have no problem with religious people as long as their religion does not infringe on me. I see a problem with teaching children non-science as science. That belongs in church.

[quote]Gregus wrote:
pookie wrote:
Gregus wrote:
I guess he did not account that TIME does matter and lends credibility, usually the oldest is the most proven.

Really? You mean that Flying Spaghetti Monsterism is currently known to be a man’s invention, but in a millenium or two, it’ll be an accepted religion? Cool to think that it’ll follow in Christianity’s footsteps.

By the way, since the oldest is the bestest, do you follow Judaism or Hinduism?

You lack the proper mentality to see what I’m saying. [/quote]

Maybe you should spell it out for us…

if i have to “define” it to you then the point is clearly lost on you.

[quote]graphicsMan wrote:
It’s not so much a dig at religion as trying to impress on people that non-science should not be taught as science in school. The original letter was not intended to start a new religion, obviously, but to try and show the school board what is appropriate to teach in school.

I personally have no problem with religious people as long as their religion does not infringe on me. I see a problem with teaching children non-science as science. That belongs in church.[/quote]

I can understand that completely, but as you can see, it has morphed into Spongebob Squarepants pirate talk and Sesame Street logic.

Let’s convert to Gregus’ belief system!

He’s the enlightened example of a compassionate belief system we should all strive to emulate!

although your sarcasm does not escape me, i thank you for seeing the light.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
You all really seem to be having fun with this. I would have expected this much attention for that idea in junior high school. The fact that it seems to have caught on with a large number of adults is pretty scary considering not one of you actually believe this, meaning deep down, each time it is mentioned it is dig at religion. Whatever makes you happy, but what is really the point of this besides degrading what a large percentage of the world believes?
[/quote]
No scarier than the fanatics that currently run this country.

What “exactly” are they planning to teach when they say Intelligent Design?

Since that is the real issue…

You all (PX and Gregus excluded) are a bunch of sanctimonious pricks. If the tables were turned and it was religious people constantly dissing atheists you hypocrites would attack like rabid dogs. Then you turn around of this Ramen shyte.

You don’t believe in religion? Fine. But every “Ramen” call or reference to the flying spaghetti monster is nothing more than a childish insult to those who do.

This thread is the porterhouse of TubeSteak Boogies.

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
Professor X wrote:
You all really seem to be having fun with this. I would have expected this much attention for that idea in junior high school. The fact that it seems to have caught on with a large number of adults is pretty scary considering not one of you actually believe this, meaning deep down, each time it is mentioned it is dig at religion. Whatever makes you happy, but what is really the point of this besides degrading what a large percentage of the world believes?

No scarier than the fanatics that currently run this country.
[/quote]

You got me there.

Who would win in a fight, Flying Spaghetti Monster or Jesus?

[quote]DeepSouth wrote:

[/quote]

To not teach evolution as a fact, but as the working theory that it is. It will also be thaught that there are ancient beliefs in case religion, where people have a different view of what happened. So what’s the problem with that?

[quote]KJ Bridgewater wrote:
You all (PX and Gregus excluded) are a bunch of sanctimonious pricks. If the tables were turned and it was religious people constantly dissing atheists you hypocrites would attack like rabid dogs. Then you turn around of this Ramen shyte.

You don’t believe in religion? Fine. But every “Ramen” call or reference to the flying spaghetti monster is nothing more than a childish insult to those who do.

This thread is the porterhouse of TubeSteak Boogies.[/quote]

I’m not telling anyone that they should teach evolution in church…

[quote]DeepSouth wrote:

[/quote]

More importantly, can they not just teach this to people in church?

[quote]Professor X wrote:

Fairy tales? The point is, there are people more intelligent than you who believe in a higher power, yet to you they are less than you and need to be made fun of. How do you make yourself believe that you have made the right choice? Wouldn’t that take just as much faith? The only truly logical course of thinking in that regard would be agnostic, not atheist. You have gone beyond even waiting for judgement and fallen right into knowing for sure there is no God and that Christianity is based on “fairy tales”. To me, that is simply childish when it involves making fun of those who choose to believe.[/quote]

I convince myself that I made the right choice by using simple logic. If God truly cared about the salvation of my soul, he would address me directly rather than through a 2000 year old book. Being omni-present and omni-potent, this shouldn’t be too much of an inconvenience. If he did that I would have no problem following his teachings and abiding by his rules. But since everything I’ve read about Christianity (AND Islam as well) causes my bullshit detector to go haywire, I’m not going to worry too much about my ‘soul’.

Also, since Christianity appears so ridiculous to me, and so many people choose to believe in it, I’ll be making fun/degrading it at every available opportunity.

The FSM site was pretty funny and illustrates the dangers of letting religion in science class.

What I don’t understand is how athiests are just as sure there is no god as the religous people that are sure there is.

Most hardcore athiests faith that god does not exist seems a bit forced to me.

[quote]KJ Bridgewater wrote:

This thread is the porterhouse of TubeSteak Boogies.[/quote]

Don’t worry, God will make it all better in the end. :slight_smile:

[quote]Orbitalboner wrote:
I convince myself that I made the right choice by using simple logic. If God truly cared about the salvation of my soul, he would address me directly rather than through a 2000 year old book. Being omni-present and omni-potent, this shouldn’t be too much of an inconvenience. If he did that I would have no problem following his teachings and abiding by his rules.
[/quote]

The flaw in your thinking, Captain Logic, is that it would no longer be a choice for you…and that is the point. Like I said, true logic would lead you toward being agnostic. You simply don’t like the concept of God and there is a huge difference between that and any sort of logic or philosophy.

[quote]Gregus wrote:
DeepSouth wrote:

To not teach evolution as a fact, but as the working theory that it is. It will also be thaught that there are ancient beliefs in case religion, where people have a different view of what happened. So what’s the problem with that?
[/quote]

The problem with that is that–as has been gone over ad infinitum on these boards and elsewhere is that evolution is not a theory. It is fact. How precisely the mechanism takes place is subject to debate, but not the fact that humans did not leap fully fashioned like Zeus from Chronos’ split skull.

There are ancient beliefs? Fine: let’s teach 'em all. Let’s learn about the cow that licked a hole in the ice-patch of nothingness to create the world from the Norse myths Let’s tell children that the sun might be either a giant nuclear fusion device or the wheel of a fiery chariot. Then, they can find out that a scientific truth, borne out by countless studies and innumerable fossils only carries as much weight as the world being created 6,000 years ago and dinosaurs being a great big hoax because no one mentions them in the bible.

Oh, wait: that seems totally fucking stupid, doesn’t it?