Alternative to HOT-ROX?

[quote]MicroSlash wrote:
Isn’t Usnic Acid also known as “Death in a Bottle?”[/quote]

Way to come out of hiding there, MicroSlash. Where ya been?

Usnic acid has had a lot of bad attention due to possible liver damage I believe? Lipo-kinetix contained it, way back in the day. I used that stuff, too…before I read about usnic’s potential effects.

Hijack…

To my knowledge usnic acid is supposed to be a mitochondrial uncoupler, uncoupling the production of ATP with the influx of H+ through the mitochondrial inner membrane and the ATPase enzyme, instead giving off energy lost as heat. With ATP levels low, glycolysis and fatty acid oxidation proceed at increased rates. This is how DNP works. ( at least, if I remember correctly.)

I don’t remember the actual differences between usnic acid and DNP I just assumed usnic acid isn’t quite as effective as DNP at doing this.

Its been a while since I’ve read about usnic.

Stu, I’m assuming you read the pros and cons regarding usnic acid use - mind sharing your info for deciding to use it? I’m guessing like most of these things, proper dosage and usage offers minimal chance of sides?

/end hijack

You could probably attempt to make your own HOT-ROX without the A7-E by getting some Yohimbine HCL, Carbolin 19, Raspberry Ketone and caffeine/theophylline - might be a pretty good replacement, not sure what dosages would be optimal though.

Also, might wanna look into the new thyroid products out there - I haven’t done much research on them recently, but there is a new product out there called Dicana (if anyone remembers the old Tricana) - I’m not sure if its T2 or some derivative thereof, but it might be worth researching.

Usnic acid is like any other supplement (or even some vitamins), in that at very high doses, can be harmful. The amount used in a few OTC supplements is actually pretty minute, so anyone actually looking to drop 5 lbs in a month from popping pills would be in for a bit disappointment. I knew that during my contest prep, I had to not use HRX because I need to be able to pass a polygraph for the INBF next spring (which means no HRX for 2 years) - the show I was doing 1st was a USBF show, and they don’t have issue with the A7-E.

Although some of the thermos I’ve taken in the past have given me a little kick in the ass, none have actually made any real noticeable difference in my build the way HRX have, so I was looking for a little extra edge. Because I had to play with my diet down to the exact calorie, I reached points where I couldn’t really drop the numbers any lower without fearing excessive muscle loss, so I decided to try Lipolyze, as a few other natty competitors I know of have used it.

There was no rush, no sweats, hell, for the most part I didn’t even realize I was on anything. I did achieve very tight conditioning, so I think it helped play a small part in that (you don’t want to look back after a show and think about what else you could have done).

I’ve used LIp6 in before, and was leaning towards that again (if I can figure out which ‘formula’ to choose), or my training partner keeps pushing Meltdown… which I may just cave and try a bottle to assess for myself.

Not sure if I really wanna play with any Thyroid products. I don’;t have an problems with mine that I know of, and I’m not really on low calories where I need to worry about any slowdown… just wanted a little kick to stay a bit leaner as I bulk up again.

S

I tried fucoxanthin from Life Extension and didn’t notice a thing from it.

[quote]andersons wrote:
I tried fucoxanthin from Life Extension and didn’t notice a thing from it.

[/quote]

How long did you use it for?

I have found that many people disregard fucoxanthin since they only take it for a short amount of time.

It is fat-soluble, and most studies showed significance at the ‘6 week marker’ (or around that), which leads me to believe that it must build up in fat tissue before exerting any significant effect.

Which also leads me to believe that fucoxanthin’s alleged ‘ability to generate BAT’ may be no more than mere coloration, as said compound IS the brown pigment of sea weed.

Also, it is fat-soluble; were you consuming it with fatty acids?

(Note: This post is most likely biased, I have some weird sort of infatuation with Fucoxanthin as a supplement)

Also should note: All the human studies were done on non-athletic populations with a LOT of fat. If this compound is stored in fatty tissue and works at some sort of saturation point, then I would be worried about taking too much when at too little bodyfat, as if saturation could be reached in adipose, then it could be stored in other fatty tissues (liver?), which doesn’t sound like the best thing for health.