T Nation

Alternative Supplements

hi,

do you think there are any over the counter drugs that could be used a s supplements? I’m thinking of using a little bit of aspirin to increase the blood flow, ammonia helps some times too …

when i was a little sick i used clembuterol for the coughing but it didn’t do much training wise.

I find a lot of supplements on the market today are very weak and/or very expensive. when i was using aspirin (headaches…) my strength/mass gains seemed to increase.

any other cheap substances that have any potential?

What you are proposing is a REALLY stupid idea. If I ran into you I’d slap your face shake your head and yell “don’t be a f@#$in idiot!” - and I would do it because I care about you.

Continual use of any over the counter product is going to cause terrible health problems. Aspirin for example will most likely give you stomach ulcers.

You CANNOT ignore this.

Other painkillers are known to cause liver failure - and death - when abused the way you are describing.

And here is another point - so aspirin makes you feel stronger. SO WHAT? The aim isn’t to feel stronger, the aim of training is to feel weaker, fatigue the muscle fibres, so that they supercompensate and grow actually stronger.

That is ACTUALLY stronger, instead of just “feel stronger”.

If you use something to give a kick to your workout you are kidding yourself. You want your workouts to be tiring, then you want to back off and grow. The best thing you can do is increase recovery, and that is done with FOOD and SLEEP and DAYS NOT TRAINING - it is not done with over the counter drugs.

Although a lot of people speed up recovery with steroids of course. But you really should not need them because if you are starting out, your natural ability to recover will be more than adequate - as long as you eat a lot and sleep.

Hope I have just saved someone dying of liver failure.

you got it a bit wrong …

for the aspirin. i had bad head aches. it started out when i was squatting and the pain just hit my head … i took a week off and then the pain would still set in at about 8th rep. so i took aspirin for a few weeks or so.

A HALF OF A TABLET before training. that’s the first time i took anything from a head ache ever… then some people started asking what i’m on because they thought my lifts improved. I didn’t notice that until they told me.

clembuterol … i was coughing my lungs out for a month. clemb. is cough medicine you know … when i read that it could/should give some positive effects on strength too, i thought what the heck …

now i have started doing head stands and stuff to get my head used to the extra pressure, because when i started to do lifts by the book (you know, with all the tension in your abs, back, keeping it tight thing) i feel like some thing can pop in there.

oh and the NSAID’s didn’t do much for the lifts either. i used those when i had a bad ass lower back inflammation.

working on my technique hard now, to avoid any more of those. i don’t even use ammonia if there is no real need to. just that it would be fun to know what would help not only your health if you get sick and stuff.

[quote]Magarhe wrote:

Although a lot of people speed up recovery with steroids of course. But you really should not need them because if you are starting out, your natural ability to recover will be more than adequate - as long as you eat a lot and sleep.

Hope I have just saved someone dying of liver failure.
[/quote]

2.5 years in the gym. i’ll soon be out of the “starting out” group I suppose.

my liver is fine … read, ask and then think a little more about it before you do some thing right? :slight_smile:

Aspirin reduces protein synthesis so not only a silly idea but detrimental to your goals!

good to know. thanks.

sabaz, take it easy man.

that pressure headache thing will probably toughen up itself over time, I wouldn’t push it or look for a miracle cure. if you get head pain at 8 reps then do 7 reps only. but add another set, or something.

your training should be a long term thing, steady, avoiding injuries etc…

that was half a year ago. worked through it … if I can walk and don’t have a fever i’ll go to the gym, so it would be nice to know if there is anything to avoid/look forward too when you don’t feel at 100%

now i know form my experience how it feels when an inflammation is about to happen, back is weak or when a joint hurts the “about to get strained” way. i pay extra attention to those things now.