Alternative Source of Calcium?

First of all, I read a lot of threads and articles on T-Nation, but really don’t post often, so I apologize in advance if this is the wrong section for my question.

I’ve recently read the ‘‘The Green Faces Diet’’ article which mentionned that we might not be aware of certain allergies we have because were so used to eating certain foods. One of the sypmtoms the article mentionned was acne.

I’ve had light-medium acne (back mostly) since I was maybe 15 (I’m 20 and a half now). At first I thought it was the hormones kicking in, but I stopped drinking milk for a while and it seemed to have improved quite a lot. I’m thinking other diaries product such as cheese and yougourts are the cause of it as well. This is really too bad because I got a lot of my calories in with these foods.

So while this is still a theory and I’m not 100% that milk is the cause of my acne, I’d like to just eat veggies / lean meats / eggs for a month and see if I notice dramatic changes, if not then I’ll go back to the milk.

Now my main concern is that milk, cheese, etc… are awesome sources of calcium and other vitamins and I’m wondering where I’ll get the calcium if I stop consumming those products. I read that brocolli and almonds were a decent source, but will it make up for the non-existence of milk?

Also I tried lactose free milk and it didnt help at all, so that’s not an option. I’m also not a big fan of supplements, so if anyone knows foods that I could add to this diet that would help me reach my calcium and vitamin needs, please let me know.

Yo too lazy to google:

"For vegetarians and others who want to avoid a high intake of animal products, there are a number of plant and animal sources of calcium. Leafy green vegetables and many nuts are high in calcium. If you are using leafy greens such as broccoli, spinach, chard, or mustard greens, be aware that they also contain oxalic acid, which can interfere with calcium absorption.

To get the full benefit of the greens, cook them so that the oxalic acid is neutralized. In the case of nuts, remember that they are also high in fats, although the fats are healthy for you as long as you do not over consume. Many soy products are also fortified with calcium, including tofu and soy milk. "

cliffs: Nuts & Greens

H

[quote]huscarl wrote:
Yo too lazy to google:

"For vegetarians and others who want to avoid a high intake of animal products, there are a number of plant and animal sources of calcium. Leafy green vegetables and many nuts are high in calcium. If you are using leafy greens such as broccoli, spinach, chard, or mustard greens, be aware that they also contain oxalic acid, which can interfere with calcium absorption. To get the full benefit of the greens, cook them so that the oxalic acid is neutralized. In the case of nuts, remember that they are also high in fats, although the fats are healthy for you as long as you do not over consume. Many soy products are also fortified with calcium, including tofu and soy milk. "

H[/quote]

thanks man, that’s what I thought as well: brocolli and almonds.

The part that surprises me is that they say that you should boil the vegetables? I always eat my veggies uncooked because I heard cooking them destroys a lot of vitamins, is that true?

Eggs are pretty good as well.

[quote]JZT wrote:

[quote]huscarl wrote:
Yo too lazy to google:

"For vegetarians and others who want to avoid a high intake of animal products, there are a number of plant and animal sources of calcium. Leafy green vegetables and many nuts are high in calcium. If you are using leafy greens such as broccoli, spinach, chard, or mustard greens, be aware that they also contain oxalic acid, which can interfere with calcium absorption. To get the full benefit of the greens, cook them so that the oxalic acid is neutralized. In the case of nuts, remember that they are also high in fats, although the fats are healthy for you as long as you do not over consume. Many soy products are also fortified with calcium, including tofu and soy milk. "

H[/quote]

thanks man, that’s what I thought as well: brocolli and almonds.

The part that surprises me is that they say that you should boil the vegetables? I always eat my veggies uncooked because I heard cooking them destroys a lot of vitamins, is that true?
[/quote]

Yeah they always try and confuse you with some science just to keep you in your place. Just eat it however is convenient at the time. You can worry too much about the chemical-state of your food; liquid nuts are no better than solid ones :stuck_out_tongue:

H

They also make these things called supplements. I mean if you are having a hard time getting enough calcium, they make things called calcium pills. Hell, just chew on some tums.

Sorry OP but I’m about to go on a rant. It’s not all you but it’s a culmination.

How do I get more calcium in my diet?

… Eat more calcium, find foods or supplements which have calcium and eat them. If you can’t drink milk, find something else with calcium and eat it. You really needed to post this as a question? I mean you could google “foods with calcium” if you don’t like supplements, or you could google “calcium supplements” if you have your diet all laid out and don’t want to change it.

Rocket science this is not. In fact this is the type of lame ass lazy noob posts that make people pull their hair out.

Hey guys, I need to get more veggies in my diet, any suggestions? Yea, buy veggies at the store or grow them in a garden and eat them.

Guys, how do I eat a lot of proteinz to get big? Simple, eat meat. Go to the store, buy a steak and eat it.

Ok sorry OP, but seriously, you will learn and reatain a lot more information if you do a little of the leg work for yourself.

V

the cans of salmon w/ the edible bones are high in calcium

You can also use a calcium supplement. That’s what I do since I do not eat dairy.

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:
You can also use a calcium supplement. That’s what I do since I do not eat dairy.[/quote]

This because of an intolerance and/or because you’re into paleo?

cheers

H

[quote]huscarl wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:
You can also use a calcium supplement. That’s what I do since I do not eat dairy.[/quote]

cheers

H[/quote]

My guess :

Its because dairy sucks.

[quote]zraw wrote:

[quote]huscarl wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

cheers

H[/quote]

My guess :

Its because dairy sucks.[/quote]

Correct. You can come to your own conclusions, but humans simply aren’t supposed to eat dairy products. It’s hard on your body and not even that healthy.

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]zraw wrote:

[quote]huscarl wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

cheers

H[/quote]

My guess :

Correct. You can come to your own conclusions, but humans simply aren’t supposed to eat dairy products. It’s hard on your body and not even that healthy.[/quote]

Oh but I feel the same way you do about dairy man !

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]zraw wrote:

[quote]huscarl wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

cheers

H[/quote]

My guess :

Correct. You can come to your own conclusions, but humans simply aren’t supposed to eat dairy products. It’s hard on your body and not even that healthy.[/quote]

You mean we’re not meant to consume dairy as adults, right?

I’m torn on dairy. The lactose is really the only thing we have a hard time processing, and different ethnic groups are better adapted to it i.e. they continue to produce lactase into their adult life. Something like cottage cheese has next to no carbs, thus (next to) no lactose, and is simply high quality animal protein and a little fat. So what’s wrong with eating that?

It’s not “Paleo”, but I also see the Paleo diet as a generally good idea, but not a religion (the way vegans treat veganism), but I don’t see anything remotely problematic with cottage cheese, or other cheeses and yogurts that have only trace amounts of lactose. Minus the dairy-sugar, you’re left with high-quality animal protein and fat.

[quote]E99_Curt wrote:
the cans of salmon w/ the edible bones are high in calcium[/quote]

Mmm or sardines - yum!

[quote]Vegita wrote:
They also make these things called supplements. I mean if you are having a hard time getting enough calcium, they make things called calcium pills. Hell, just chew on some tums.

Sorry OP but I’m about to go on a rant. It’s not all you but it’s a culmination.

… Eat more calcium, find foods or supplements which have calcium and eat them. If you can’t drink milk, find something else with calcium and eat it. You really needed to post this as a question? I mean you could google “foods with calcium” if you don’t like supplements, or you could google “calcium supplements” if you have your diet all laid out and don’t want to change it.

Rocket science this is not. In fact this is the type of lame ass lazy noob posts that make people pull their hair out.

Hey guys, I need to get more veggies in my diet, any suggestions? Yea, buy veggies at the store or grow them in a garden and eat them.

Guys, how do I eat a lot of proteinz to get big? Simple, eat meat. Go to the store, buy a steak and eat it.

Ok sorry OP, but seriously, you will learn and reatain a lot more information if you do a little of the leg work for yourself.

V[/quote]

Yeah.

and

Magic!

[quote]Spartiates wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]zraw wrote:

[quote]huscarl wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

cheers

H[/quote]

My guess :

You mean we’re not meant to consume dairy as adults, right?

I’m torn on dairy. The lactose is really the only thing we have a hard time processing, and different ethnic groups are better adapted to it i.e. they continue to produce lactase into their adult life. Something like cottage cheese has next to no carbs, thus (next to) no lactose, and is simply high quality animal protein and a little fat. So what’s wrong with eating that?

It’s not “Paleo”, but I also see the Paleo diet as a generally good idea, but not a religion (the way vegans treat veganism), but I don’t see anything remotely problematic with cottage cheese, or other cheeses and yogurts that have only trace amounts of lactose. Minus the dairy-sugar, you’re left with high-quality animal protein and fat.
[/quote]

Paleo has nothing to do with my reasons for not consuming dairy. I am not a strict follower of the Paleo Diet, I have simply used it to construct my own diet.

I don’t want to turn this into some rant against dairy, but simply stated it’s not good for you. I think it would be prudent to do your own research so you can come to your own conclusions.

[quote]Vegita wrote:

V[/quote]

And this is exactly the kind of shit that I hate reading here as well, so I guess we have something in common.

You’re comparing my question to newbs asking where to find proteins. As I said in my first post, brocolli and almonds are what I came up with as alternative sources since I looked around and that’s pretty much all I could find, so I was looking for people to provide me with some other foods I might’ve missed, like the canned salmon with bones, didn’t know about that.

I’m fine with bashing people who obviously didn’t spend one minute researching something very simple, but I had half of my answer in my original post and was just looking to add a few more tools to my diet. Isn’t that what a forum is for?

Here are a few options to help. Forgive me as I think a few may have been mentioned before.

chestnuts
soybeans
spinach
okra
shellfish
sardines
garbonzo beans