T Nation

Alternating Workout

I know that alternating your workout will help a plateau, but does it actually work to gain muscle?

e.g.

one day 10 sets of 4 reps
one day 4 sets of 10 reps

10 sets of 4 reps is alot harder than 4 sets of 10 reps there for it will take more out of your body and longer to recover. if you want to alternate your workouts and not hit a plato i would not make such a huge different like switching from 4 sets of 10 reps to 10 sets of 4 reps, i would switch from 4 sets of 10 reps to 5 sets of 8 reps that is better that way your workouts will not be too long and you will still be switching it up. also try using a lighter weight and doing you reps slow and controled that way you will be focusing on the muscle. 1 second up 3 seconds down. you shood always mix up you workout like say you do bench press and incline press for one day the next time you could try incline dumbell press and decline bench press that way you are always hitting different parts of your chest and are less likely to hit a plato. this is the same for every muscle alway try to mix it up and u will see that you will improve over time.

Alternating workouts is more usefull for strength than hypertrophy.

Alternating workouts is more usefull at recruting different strength qualities and fiber types, so it will surely helps with hypertrophy. Read CW’s Big Boy Basic to get a good idea. Hope it helps.