T Nation

Alternating Meals; Fat, Carbs, Fat, Carbs

Ok so ive read tons on the AD diet and have been on it for 3 weeks now (ectomorph).But i do feel that im cutting myself short on instant size gains as i once had on a higher carb diet many years ago.
Dont get me wrong..i love the way i feel on the AD and i like the foods and steady energy it provides. But i have had a few very tired days lately and been dragging my ass up the ladder at work :-( Trainings been good but i dont seem to get much of a pump either on this diet.

I get that hi fat and protein meals create anabolism and are good for building quality lean muscles.
And i was always under the impression that mixing carbs with protein was a major no no as they cannot be digested together because they were either acid(stomach being acidic as in protein foods) and alkaline as in carbs.
But having read on here about other diets i found that people say not to mixing carbs with fat but ok to mix carbs with protein with no added fats???

So this leads me to my question

I was starting to wonder whether it would be beneficial to alternate a hi fat/protein meal with a carb/protein meal throughout the day? Or would it be counter productive in the digestion/gaining areas?

protein is fine to eat with carbs… obviously not on the AD but in general

[quote]SHAGLEY wrote:

I was starting to wonder whether it would be beneficial to alternate a hi fat/protein meal with a carb/protein meal throughout the day? Or would it be counter productive in the digestion/gaining areas?[/quote]

A good rule of thumb is carbs early in the day and after workout, and fat the rest of the time. Obviously you’ll be getting protein at every meal. But don’t go crazy trying to separate carbs and fat. Focus on where the carbs and fat are coming from (should be natural, whole sources). It’s the processed stuff you gotta watch out for.

Those “instant gains” years ago could probably be attributed more to “newbie gains” than the fact that you were eating carbs.

What is your weight and total caloric intake? If you have a manual labor job, Especially on the AD, you should be consuming large quantities above and beyond the desk jockey.

Also, 3 weeks in isn’t a LOT. Stick it out a couple months and I’ll bet your drag-ass feeling will go away. It only took me about a month, but I sit at a desk, so I’m not expending near what you probably are.

And you will definitely not get the same pump on the AD. (Unless you workout on the weekend in the middle of a carb load.)

cueball

Ok, so i went away and tried protein and carbs in the morning on the last three days (about 50g oats carbs) and 25g pre workout and 25g post workout(glucose in water). Iv`e noticed more of a pump and have a lot more energy.

I read about this on T-dawg 2.0 somewhere and think for me its working quite well :-) I think im gonna get some Surge Recovery or some pro recover from CNP and try that. But i`m not a huge fan of whey protein as i feel protein needs fat to be digested properly as in eggs, steak, salmon etc.

I hate to break it to you but the whole P/F P/C thing is fairly irrelevant. The effects of a meal last much longer than two-three hours.

People who eat the same macros over the course of a day get identical results.

Instead focus on timing your carbs at breakfast, post workout, and earlier in the day in general.

[quote]hexx wrote:
I hate to break it to you but the whole P/F P/C thing is fairly irrelevant. The effects of a meal last much longer than two-three hours.

People who eat the same macros over the course of a day get identical results.

Instead focus on timing your carbs at breakfast, post workout, and earlier in the day in general.
[/quote]

Yeah i was just wondering about the whole mixing fats/carbs thing really.
I`m finding the carbs AM and around workout thing really good at the mo though so im gonna stick to that and see how my gains come along.

I did go a bit crazy at first break at work today though :slight_smile:
I did legs yesterday and woke up ravenous and ate piles of food at 7. Then at ten break i stuffed myself again with a peperami, quarter pot of p butter and 2 celery sticks with humous. My guts were a bit upside down for a good hour after he he! Won`t be mixing those foods again! Sometimes the hunger just eats me up!