Alternating 5 or 6 Layers a Week

Coach,

would you see any issue with alternating 5 and 6 day workout weeks? I am unavailable every other weekend but would like to try adding a 6th day on the weeks that I’m free. My thoughts are to add in a shoulder day; my current plan is High Pull, Decline, TBDL, Incline, High Pull.

Which brings me to my next question;
Do you think that your Layer system would work for Scrape-the-Rack overhead press? I find it to be one of the better movements for my shoulders but I’m not sure if the Layers would be too much on this movement.

Thanks.

[quote]DGarcia wrote:
Coach,

would you see any issue with alternating 5 and 6 day workout weeks? I am unavailable every other weekend but would like to try adding a 6th day on the weeks that I’m free. My thoughts are to add in a shoulder day; my current plan is High Pull, Decline, TBDL, Incline, High Pull.

Which brings me to my next question;
Do you think that your Layer system would work for Scrape-the-Rack overhead press? I find it to be one of the better movements for my shoulders but I’m not sure if the Layers would be too much on this movement.

Thanks.[/quote]

1. You can simply roll through the workouts… let’s say that you have 6 different workouts, it might look like:

WEEK 1
Monday: day 1
Tuesday: da y2
Wednesday : day 3
Thursday: day 4
Friday: day 5
Saturday: day 6
Sunday: off

WEEK 2
Monday: day 1
Tuesday: da y2
Wednesday : off
Thursday: day 3
Friday: day 4
Saturday: day 5

WEEK 3
Monday: day 6
Tuesday: day 1
Wednesday : day 2
Thursday: day 3
Friday: day 4
Saturday: day 5

Etc.

1. The layer style works with any big compound movement, so yes it will work on the scrape the rack press. I personally prefer overhead press from pins, but if you feel better doing the STR, then it’s fine to use.

very interesting info here. thanks ct. when i get rolling, i like to train 6 days, but sometimes i need a break it seems. so i only get in 5 days, but i do not skip a session. we had this discussion a long time ago. this little layout you made clears it up some