Alt. Resistance HELP!!

I am a Ex. Science major at the University of Southern Maine and I have to design an alternative resistance training program for a class.

I just got started in this major and don’t have that much background, also, I just started using T-Nation and thought it would be a good idea to post it on the site and get some input from the outside, because one book isn’t going to cover all my angles I feel. So here it goes, anything you guys/ladies can help with would be great!!

Two exercises per major muscle group as Follows:
Chest,back,shoulders,Bi’s,Tri’s,Abs,Lower back,Quads,Hams,Gluts and calves.

We must use two different types of equipment per body part and must incorporate the use of each of the following at least twice in the program.

Body Weight, Med. Ball,Physioball,Body bar. Resistance tubing/therabands and stability cushion/disk

Hope you can lead me in a direction and lend some helper advice and maybe some exercises!! Thanks

Looking forward to reading some responses!!!

Chest; pushups with feet on physio ball and pushups with hands on med ball.

[quote]poppn33 wrote:
I am a Ex. Science major at the University of Southern Maine and I have to design an alternative resistance training program for a class.

I just got started in this major and don’t have that much background, also, I just started using T-Nation and thought it would be a good idea to post it on the site and get some input from the outside, because one book isn’t going to cover all my angles I feel. So here it goes, anything you guys/ladies can help with would be great!!

Two exercises per major muscle group as Follows:
Chest,back,shoulders,Bi’s,Tri’s,Abs,Lower back,Quads,Hams,Gluts and calves.

We must use two different types of equipment per body part and must incorporate the use of each of the following at least twice in the program.

Body Weight, Med. Ball,Physioball,Body bar. Resistance tubing/therabands and stability cushion/disk

Hope you can lead me in a direction and lend some helper advice and maybe some exercises!! Thanks

Looking forward to reading some responses!!![/quote]

Holy crap, what a weird assignment. I’m guessing they just want you to learn about other things besides weights that can be used in training, because it doesn’t make sense to set those requirements up and not have a general goal for the program (strength, size, etc).

I’m not gonna do your project for you, but this will help you start out.

There are some great sites related to bodyweight training (just google them). These sites also contain descriptions of exercises using bands as well.

Medicine ball exercises can be found on many sports training sites. The problem with medicine ball exercises (for your project anyway) is that they won’t isolate any particular body part.

I just looked up what a physioball is (just a swiss ball) and there are only a few “good” exercises for it, although there are plenty of useless and dangerous ones. Abdominal crunching variations and glute activation exercises.

As for the stability disk (bosu ball I guess), you could use it to do scap pushups on (activate the stabilizers more), but I can’t really think of another use that is valid.

Why are you an exercise science major anyway? Did you just become interested in exercise recently?

Pistols while clutching a medicine ball and balancing on a swiss ball…

Seriously though, go ask your prof if you need help starting. We might come up with a great program, but it might not agree with what you’re being taught and get you a bad grade.

Thanks for the reply!
As for getting a bad grade, I just need to follow the guidelines, as long as I have exercises that work MORE specifically and isolate more than not a muscle group then it should be fine, its an overview class so she isn’t looking for the “perfect” project but at the same time, she is very picky and this book I am creating I can keep so the better I do the better down th road it will help me…make sense?

Thanks for the help, not looking for you to do the project, just some idea’s like you gave me.
I had to get my Gen-ed’s out of the way so I just declared the major this semester. I felt, as a coach myself, that exercise and PT, S & C would be perfect!! and thus far, ive been getting involved in my own training and discovering this to be really addictive and growing on me!