Alpha's Work II

I missed the first log but any mention I saw of it made it sound pretty awesome. Now I see why.

JRL: First off, thanks for such kind words man, it means a lot. Secondly, what you programed out does not look bad at all in my opinion! You would just have to switch up the exercises bi-monthly or so to keep your body guessing. Really, as i have a habit of saying, give it a try and work hard at it for a few months. if it is working for you then keep going with it until it stops working or until you are so bored with it you want to stick a for in your eye.

I think you have a ton of potential to grow, and I think it is smart that you are working on building up your mental toughness as well as your lifts…in the end, the mental toughness will help you in every facet of your life. the hard training is just a way of tempering it. Thanks again!

Badunk: Thanks a lot man! I appreciate it!

Redstar: Thanks for the compliment man! and welcome to the log, I hope I don’t let down they hype!

“I live in uncertainty, If there is anything difficult, If there is anything dangerous to do…That is mine”

-Sioux warrior song

30March2010: Training

Insert: As fast as possible:

21 Reps Dead hang Pull-ups
    21 Reps 105lb Squat Presses
    15 Reps Dead hang Pull-ups
    15 Reps 105lb Squat Presses
     9 Reps Dead hang Pull-ups
     9 Reps 105lb Squat Presses

Strength/MetCon: Giant sets 1a, 1b, 1c, rest, repeat

1a. Deads: 405/3, 455/3, 495/3, 525/2, 545/1
1b. DB Swings: 70/15, 70/15, 70/15, 70/15, 70/15
1c. Decline sit-ups: 5 sets of 15 reps

2a. Stiff Legged Deads: 315/5, 335/5, 365/5, 365/5
2b. DB Swings: 70/15, 70/15, 70/15, 70/15
2c. Decline sit-ups: 4 sets of 15 reps

Accessory: Super Set

3a. BB Shrugs: 455/10, 455/10, 455/10
3b. DB Rows: 110/10. 110/10, 110/10

Extract: As fast as possible:

21 Reps Dead hang Pull-ups
    21 Reps 105lb Squat Presses
    15 Reps Dead hang Pull-ups
    15 Reps 105lb Squat Presses
     9 Reps Dead hang Pull-ups
     9 Reps 105lb Squat Presses 

Notes:

Deads: Not bad, it is the heaviest I have gone in a while (pretty much since i re hurt my back some) and 545 didn’t feel too heavy…it didn’t fly up, but it was pretty smooth…

DB Swings: i had originally thrown these in here to try and keep my heart pumping hard throughout all of my working Dead/SLDL sets, which it did…However, the constant pulling-through motion of the swings almost felt like it helped me initiate my hips more on the lockouts…this might be something that could help me in the future…

SLDL: i only did 4 sets of these semi light because i knew my back was tired and it is not 100% yet…felt all reps right in my hamstrings though…

Extract: My legs were burning like the devil with syphilis on these! Good mental minset challenge thought.

Overall:

the workout took approximately 50 minutes and all of them were working and breathing hard.

I was glad to get the 545 back off the ground pretty smoothly and know in a few months i will crush my current 605 PR.

Thanks for the kind words and thoughts, and for following.

Be good

Hi Alpha, I tend not to post much but I gotta say you bring alot of intensity into the gym and it has really given me a kick up the ass to stop being a pussy and just do what needs to be done!All the best sir and I look forward to more of your posts.

Law: Thanks a lot brother, what you just stated is pretty much the sole reason I’m back!

Fuel:

Meal 1: Turkey meatballs, 2 BCAA’s, 1 Flameout

Meal 2: (Peri workout) 1 Scoop Optimum nutrition 100% whey, 1 Scoop Surge 15 BCAA’s

Meal 3: 2 Chicken Breast, Beans, 2 BCAA’s, 2 Fish oil

Meal 4: Salad with grilled chicken, 1 Flameout

Meal 5: Chicken and vegetable stir-fry, 3 BCAA’s, 1 Flameout

Meal 6: 1 Scoop Optimum nutrition 100% whey, 1 Scoop Metabolic Drive, 2 BCAA’s, 2 Fish oil

I finished up last night with a 2 and half hour Ruck (50lb rucksack) at a moderate to fast pace, then did some LAX ball work and roam rolled a little bit.

Later today Stclair 20 and I will hopefully be hitting a gym away from home if all works out. If I can get to an internet source, i’ll post what we do.

Thanks for reading

Good to see you’re back, I didn’t get to read all of your last log but it looked very interesting and different than most. Two quick questions.
First, how have your goals changed over the years and, along with them, your training style?
Second, you seem to be keeping your carbs very low, was it always like that? Did you gain most of your size on low carbs or did you keep them higher for a while? I know you don’t really train like a bodybuilder, so I assume you don’t concentrate on bulking and cutting, but you are well built and had to gain mass at some point, so I’m curious about your methods during that time.

Thanks,
B.

Alpha, what kind of BCAAs are you taking?

BiP: Thanks for the question and thanks for reading man. I apologize to all of the people who kept up with the last log for repeating some of the same information, but it is what it is. For those of you who do not know my lifting and eating history it pretty much looks like this:

I started lifting my sophomore year in High school to improve my performance in school sports, Kickboxing and Karate. I lifted like a body builder with body part splits and ate whatever I could get my hands on. This lasted until about halfway through my freshman year in college. I didn’t take my lifting very seriously, frequently skipping leg days and other hard activities.

If it weren’t for my high activity level with fighting all of the time I would have been pretty chuncky to say the least. I did not see any real noticeable muscle gains at this time in my life, but I did gain some strength. I wanted a bigger physique but had to stay smaller and lighter so that I could make weight for fights.

It was about half way through my freshman year in college that I realized I would rather drink beer and chase girls instead of spending my time in the gym. I was still kickboxing and started taking more MMA classes. Every night I was either teaching kickboxing or training MMA but was still eating anything and all that I wanted. I was still barely under 200lbs, and although carrying more body fat than in High School, was still relatively lean and strong. This lifestyle lasted until about halfway through my senior year.

It was then that I truly started taking my MMA training seriously and was finding that the better competition that I was now facing, were both stronger and better conditioned than I was.

I knew I had to try something new and was scouring the internet to learn more about lifting. I was a member over at sherdog (MMA forums) and all of those guys were bashing how Body builders lifted and were saying that that kind of training was useless for fighting. And from what I had experienced, I agreed. However, like most people in the world, those members were great a pointing out problems without providing any real solutions. Thus, my search continued.

It was then that I stumbled upon T-mag.com and started reading. Here I found people who shared my mindset, and through the online and paper versions of the publication, I began to see how important compound movements and a tougher mindset could be. My lifting changed immediately.

Also at this time, I decided to get a few worthless certifications to become a personal trainer to keep testing what I was learning during the day, while applying it to my fighting at night.

I was becoming more educated about what to eat and when through great guys like John Berardi, but was still not really putting all of it into practice. I was gaining muscle and some fat, but still relied heavily on my fast metabolism to keep me semi-cut up.

Then I turned 23. And I swear to you it was like a switch went off in my body and fat just started piling on. I remember walking into my office at that time, where my best friend was sitting at my desk. He had known me since birth and was a training partner of mine(both fighting and lifting) for as long as I can remember. I raised my shirt and showed him, my first time ever, none existent 6 pack and he dead pan said, “dude, when did you get so fat?!?”

This is when I really started applying discipline to my diet and full body lifts, I was making good gains and getting very strong. This lasted about 2 years, then I began working at a new gym that was very bodybuilding oriented. I was working out with those guys often and did body part splits for probably close to a year. My physique really didn’t seem to respond as well to the lack of heavy weights on all exercises all the time and it tended to make me a little bit slower in my fighting.

When my coach told me to go back to my old way of lifting, I listened. My quickness came back and I had a much easier time controlling my body weight and composition. I’ve been preaching low-carb full body stuff ever since.

For me personally, killing my entire body on a Low-carb diet as often as possible is what works for me, albeit not without a lot of pain and perseverance. It works for me because I am an extremely driven person who wants to be big and strong and yet still look good with my shirt off. This style of lifting allows me to do just that year round.

My gains may not come as quickly as they possibly could (maybe, I could potentially argue otherwise) by using this method, but I can honestly say it is the only method that has ever truly worked for me. It is the only way that I have been able to gain any substantial mass without becoming a slob.

But again, everyone’s body reacts differently to stimuli, this works for me, it might not for anyone else. I truly believe everyone needs to see what works best for their body and go with that. Simply following the masses because it has worked for others is not my thing. I like to use my body as a Petri dish.

Sorry for the pontification, but hopefully that will clear some things up for you and others. Let me know if I missed something or you have any follow-up questions. Thanks for asking!

Jlutz: I use the version they sell here at Biotest… Thanks for checking in brother

YAY!!! Alpha’s back! I loved your old log, I am looking forward to reading the new one.

[quote]Alpha wrote:
When planning workouts I think of what I seriously hate the most, and that is what I focus the day around. Doing what your body hates doing the most will make your body change the quickest.
[/quote]

I think this is one of the most important and yet overlooked aspects of training!

When you think about it, this is obvious…but how many people actually do it??

I wanna be big(well, not really) and strong and look good with my shirt off too! :wink:

Good to see you back…

I look to you as an example for hard training and the style of eating you practice…

OctoberGirl: Hey, It’s great to see you back over here! Thanks for coming back!

Lift and Eat: I totally agree brother! It is great to have you back over here man, thanks for the comments.

MIM: You are way too nice to me! It is great to see you back here! You are always so encouraging! Thanks again!

==========================================================================================================

“Do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men! Do not pray for tasks equal to your powers. Pray for power equal to your tasks.”

-Phillip Brooks

31March2010: Training

Insert: Run 1.5 miles as fast as possible

Strength: Giant sets

1a. BB Military Press: 185/3, 195/3, 205/3, 215/3, 215/2, 205/3, 195/3
1b. Dead hang Pull Ups: 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10
1c. Obliques: 7 sets of 8 reps a side

MetCon: As many rounds as possible in 20 minutes-

5 Dead hang pull-ups
10 Push ups
15 Bodyweight squats

For a total of 19 rounds in 20 minutes

Accessory: Superset

2a. DB Semi Suponated overhead press: 70/8, 70/8, 70/6
2b. BB Sit ups: 6, 6, 6

DB Lat Raises: 30/10, 35/10, 40/7

Extract: Jog a mile

Notes:

-StClair20 and I were working together today and eneded up in Boise Idaho where we got a ride to the Gold’s down the street from Boise State…The gym is sick! One of the best I have ever been to! I just wish I had a place like that near my home!!! If you are ever in the area check it out! $5 guest fee and free if you already belong to a Gold’s.

-My shoulders were destroyed coming in from the DB swings and shrugs yesterday, but not a bad day considering…

-All of my running today was rough going because of all of the deads yesterday and the ruck last night. But I got through it and feel good for getting it done.

-The MetCon portion sounds easy, but mid workout and pushing myself, it smoked me pretty good. And StClair20 had a good time laughing at me.

Overall:

Great workout for being away from home, and hitting the gym with Stcalair was good because we haven’t had the chance to do that in a while. 3 days in a row with 2-a-days for 2 of them and I am spent…I need some rest, I feel like a truck driven by a 300lb midget just ran me over…

31March2010: Fuel

Meal 1: Turkey and swiss on extra protein bread, 2 BCAA’s, 1 Flameout

Meal 2: 1 Scoop Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey, 1 Scoop Metabolic Drive, 2 Fish oil, 2 BCAA’s

Meal 3: Chicken and Beans, 2 BCAA’s, 1 fish oil

Meal 4: 1 Scoop Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey, 1 Scoop Metabolic Drive (Peri workout)

Meal 5: some ABB 50 Gram protein shake bought at the gym?? Tasted like chocolate pepto-bismol…

Meal 6: Cobb Salad with double Chicken, 2 Fish oil

Meal 7: 2 Tylenol PM, 1 Melatonin, and hopefully a few hours sleep…

If you PM’ed me, I’ll get back to you tomorrow, I need to crash…

Goodnight Everyone! It’s an early one tomorrow!

[quote]Alpha wrote:
OctoberGirl: Hey, It’s great to see you back over here! Thanks for coming back!

Lift and Eat: I totally agree brother! It is great to have you back over here man, thanks for the comments.

MIM: You are way too nice to me! It is great to see you back here! You are always so encouraging! Thanks again!

==========================================================================================================

“Do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men! Do not pray for tasks equal to your powers. Pray for power equal to your tasks.”

-Phillip Brooks

31March2010: Training

Insert: Run 1.5 miles as fast as possible

Strength: Giant sets

1a. BB Military Press: 185/3, 195/3, 205/3, 215/3, 215/2, 205/3, 195/3
1b. Dead hang Pull Ups: 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10
1c. Obliques: 7 sets of 8 reps a side

MetCon: As many rounds as possible in 20 minutes-

5 Dead hang pull-ups
10 Push ups
15 Bodyweight squats

For a total of 19 rounds in 20 minutes

Accessory: Superset

2a. DB Semi Suponated overhead press: 70/8, 70/8, 70/6
2b. BB Sit ups: 6, 6, 6

DB Lat Raises: 30/10, 35/10, 40/7

Extract: Jog a mile

Notes:

-StClair20 and I were working together today and eneded up in Boise Idaho where we got a ride to the Gold’s down the street from Boise State…The gym is sick! One of the best I have ever been to! I just wish I had a place like that near my home!!! If you are ever in the area check it out! $5 guest fee and free if you already belong to a Gold’s.

-My shoulders were destroyed coming in from the DB swings and shrugs yesterday, but not a bad day considering…

-All of my running today was rough going because of all of the deads yesterday and the ruck last night. But I got through it and feel good for getting it done.

-The MetCon portion sounds easy, but mid workout and pushing myself, it smoked me pretty good. And StClair20 had a good time laughing at me.

Overall:

Great workout for being away from home, and hitting the gym with Stcalair was good because we haven’t had the chance to do that in a while. 3 days in a row with 2-a-days for 2 of them and I am spent…I need some rest, I feel like a truck driven by a 300lb midget just ran me over…

31March2010: Fuel

Meal 1: Turkey and swiss on extra protein bread, 2 BCAA’s, 1 Flameout

Meal 2: 1 Scoop Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey, 1 Scoop Metabolic Drive, 2 Fish oil, 2 BCAA’s

Meal 3: Chicken and Beans, 2 BCAA’s, 1 fish oil

Meal 4: 1 Scoop Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey, 1 Scoop Metabolic Drive (Peri workout)

Meal 5: some ABB 50 Gram protein shake bought at the gym?? Tasted like chocolate pepto-bismol…

Meal 6: Cobb Salad with double Chicken, 2 Fish oil

Meal 7: 2 Tylenol PM, 1 Melatonin, and hopefully a few hours sleep…

If you PM’ed me, I’ll get back to you tomorrow, I need to crash…

Goodnight Everyone! It’s an early one tomorrow!

[/quote]

DUDE! The intensity and focus that you portray through your posts is crazy. Glad to see that you log is back and look forward to the first rant :slight_smile: Hopefully everything remains kosher this time and we can keep the log up.

I am in a very similar place that you were in your early twenties. Thing for me is that I am now 34 have been doing the bodybuilding style split for several years. Just not happy with it anymore and my body hurts. I have really been thinking about the full body training and think that I may make the switch, just for shits and giggles. This will also help me with my cardio as I hate the monotony of it and do not care to do it outside of my single training session. BTW, how many times a week are you training? Days on -vs- rest. On average…I know your schedule is a but unorthodox…

I am familiar with your diet and appears that you haven’t changed much since the last log. I would also assume that with your level of activity and your diet that you are either at, or below, maintenance calories. Am I wrong?

Where have you been coming up with these exercise selections? Trial and Error? And do you keep them paired the same for the duration of the blast (2-3 months)? It looks like you have changed up some of the routines quite a bit since the last log. Some of that shit is crazy the way that you have them paired. Kudos to you for powering through. I think I would be found in the corner, tucked away in the fetal position about half way through.

Anyway, thanks for coming back and for them allowing you to come back!

Matt

I will admit that I like to sit back and watch others watch Alpha train. They always have a “how is he that strong and that big lifting that way?!” look on their face. To be honest, what works well for him may not work for you. I did his workouts about 2 years ago and I actually lost a little size and I always felt run down. TBT just didn’t work for me - you just have to try it for yourself and see what’s best. I do use his rep/set schemes but I prefer splits. Granted I’m built completely different and am 10 yrs older than him could have something to do with it - and he’s a f’n mutant. Anyways - great workout today and thanks for the spots and encouragement - olive juice (no homo). You can have your thread back now.

Great to see volume 2 after the long hiatus. Stay strong!

A legend returns!

Alpha, good to see your log back up. Volume one has become a T-Nation legend and I am sure this one will catch many viewers as well. Are the turkey meatballs your secret?:wink:
BTW, what is extra protein bread?

Alpha, I remember skimming through your first log and thinking, “damn, that’s a crazy SOB”. Before that, I never really read other people’s training logs on T-Nation because most of them more or less all looked the same. Unfortunately, I never had the opportunity to really read your log because short after I had found it, it was gone. Bad timing …

I justed wanted to say I’m glad you have been able to set up Alpha’s Work II and that I’m learning a ton from your posts here. I’ve learned more from the “Alpha, how do you train?”-thread than from most books on training I’ve read. Thanks for taking the time to do this.

Matt: Hey man good to see you back here! and thanks for the comments and questions!

Well, currently i do something physical every single day. Even my recovery days are not sans rucking or running. Really if i didn’t get something done that day, usually it is because I lost a day on international travel and just pulled a long, long strip without any sleep…But even usually then, I can drag my butt up to go for a run…However i’d say i hit the gym 4 times a week on average.

As far as calories, i have absolutely no idea, I have never counted calories in my life, i just eat clean 95% of the time and if I want to be bigger I eat more, if i feel sluggish and too big, I eat less.

And my exercise selection is pretty random actually…I just think of what would be hard and throw some of that in there. For what I am training for you kind of need to be ready for anything at any time. Sometimes I will browse sealfit/brassringfitness.crossfitbellevue for some ideas for my metcon stuff, but i don’t feel as if any of them cover strength well enough, so I just throw in my own.

Thanks for the questions and comments man!

Stclair20: man that was a great time, and you will come back to the dark side in time…

Aut: Hey man! Good to hear from you! It is so good to be back! thanks for stopping in!

Mrodok: Legend…Man, you know I am all smoke and mirrors! Great to hear from you man!

Kross: Etra protein bread is made by “Nature’s Own” (I think, but don’t quote me on that) and somehow they have packed more protein in there…I figured I would give it a try. Thanks for stopping in, and following the log!

Enjoy the Pain: Man that is such a nice compliment! it means more than you know. Thanks a lot and welcome to the new Log!

====================================

“With respect to acting in the face of danger, courage is a mean between the excess of rashness and the deficiency of cowardice.”

-Aristotle

====================================

01April2010: Training-

I needed to put in some PR time with my girl because I haven’t been around much. So the only thing I had time for was a 6-7 mile ruck with a 50lb pack. It was a beautiful night…I wish all training could be that awesome…

=====================================

01April2010: Fuel

Meal 1: 1 Scoop Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey, 1 Scoop Metabolic Drive, 2 Fish oil, 2 BCAA’s, Apple

Meal 2: Banana, Chicken fajita burrito. No rice, and man it was awesome.

Meal 3: Meal 2: 1 Scoop Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey, 1 Scoop Metabolic Drive, 2 Fish oil, 2 BCAA’s, Banana.

Meal 4: Chicken, peppers, salsa, avacaods, 2 BCAA’s 2 Fishoil.

Meal 5: Meal 2: 1 Scoop Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey, 1 Scoop Metabolic Drive, 2 Fish oil, 2 BCAA’s

Is it bad that in order to spell “bananas” correctly, I need to sing along to that lame Gwen Stephani song that plays in my gym all of the time…

[quote]Alpha wrote:

Kross: Etra protein bread is made by “Nature’s Own” (I think, but don’t quote me on that) and somehow they have packed more protein in there…I figured I would give it a try. Thanks for stopping in, and following the log!
[/quote]
I will have to find/order some. Thanks

I really thought that was just me. And it is really lame but apparently catchy since at least a couple of us are singing it in our heads. Unless you actually sing it outloud. If you do we need it on Youtube!

Glad to see you back!