Alpha V

Awesome. I love the PR’s.

You give me something to chase…no matter how many light years away I am from your lifts…

Damn dude thats some great motivation! congrats on the deadlift PR

Congrats on the PR! Deadlifts and anything overhead are always my favorites!
What you were saying about head position during the pull was interesting. Do you feel like you recovered better because of something like that, or am I just mishearing you and making things up?

@ActivitiesGuy Hahaha I will take those all day!

@strongmanvinny2 Dude, you are making great progress, I think a lot of your stuff is going to skyrocket very soon!

@kckfl349 Thanks so much Brother!

@Roran Well, I am to sure that I recovered better, but I definitely walked away “less” hurt than normal after something like this! I am going to stick with it a while to see if it helps, but right now, I am definitely a fan!

Cues are probably the most important thing when it comes to lifting heavy stuff. This is Part one of a four part series (Covering the Big 4 Lifts) where I will share with you my personal Squat Cues Cheat Sheet. Steal any that you want, discard the ones you don’t. But learn how to be intentional about every rep so that you can make better progress in half the time. I hope this will help some of you out!

2 Likes

Hey Alpha, I did my first session of your three month linear progression program and I hated it, thank you.
A quick question I have is what is the set/rep scheme for the other exercises?

Thanks for following my Instagram page, @Alpha! I really appreciate it.

1 Like

@hugh_gilly Hahaha you are more than welcome my friend! i keep the SGS reps and sets the same as the main movement, then self regulate the AGS for whatever my body needs to be finished off.

@anon50325502 You know it man!

So i have been doing a lot of random training lately because after i work my strongman stuff, I have just been hitting a lot of randomness because i can’t start something new until after comp…So I haven’t really been logging any of it, but this is a highlight from yesterday

600x4 Duffalo Bar Squat. This thing completely changed how things feel. That is a good thing for me because i needed to keep it relatively light(ish) but i am way more comfortable with a regular barbell. Still, 600x4 i will take!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BWGQHrNhGdT/?taken-by=neversate

And the latest video was just released in this one I cover brain tumors, Biggest Influences, How Big are my Arms & Powerlifting Comp. Part two should be out tomorrow or the next day but i really appreciate all of your support everyone!

=============================================

2 Likes

I always enjoy your videos! That last one about the squat checklist was pretty helpful. I’ve heard before to write things down and review them but I really liked the bit about doing the night before.

@Roran Thank you so much brother! i really appreciate that!

Here is Part two of the June Q&A where I cover How I stay Positive, Biggest Mistakes, What Scares me, am I writing a book & more. Time Stamps Below.

TIME STAMPS
00.16 Have I always been a Positive Person or did I have to build that?
5:08 Some of the worst Mistakes you Made As a Beginner?
7:23 What Scares me?
9:51 Am I ever going to write a book?
11:15 Are Weightlifting Shoes Worth it?
13:11 What Symptoms when I broke my back the second time, and how I came back?
15:34 Why Don’t I do The Snatch and Clean?

3 Likes

I am on Reload for my Comp next Saturday so no training from me this week. And an update, I may be competing awn before the end of the month…its going to be a Busy July! But I will keep linking my weekly videos here.

Part II of the Cheat Sheet Series where I share my personal cues on the Bench Press. Set-up, Unrack & the Press itself, it’s all in there. If you need more in-depth explanation, check out my 3 Part Bench Series where I break down the components more exhaustively. Thanks for the support Everyone!

1 Like

Not sure if this is a place for questions, forgive me if it isnt. But my OHP is going down in weight the past 3 weeks. I have no clue why. It was going up the first 2 weeks of the program. I barely got 115x5 today and usually its easy for me and even my weighted pull-ups with 35 pounds is easy but today it was heavy. I just started low bar squatting and my rear delts are more sore, maybe that’s it? All my other lifts continue to go up every week but not OHP. It is my last lift of the week, maybe fatigue? Should I do OHP a different day of the week? I trust your input, that’s why I ask.
Thank you

@Alpha Was wondering if you have discussed what the requirements were for your gym in terms of insurance. Do you need it? Is it costly? Can you just have members sign a waiver at the time of sign up?

Thank you

@chriscori7 Well man, it could have just been an off day or it could be your programming or technique. You really didn’t give a ton of info on it so it is really had to guess. It could be 1,000 different things but without more data, I would only be shooting in the dark. That is kind of like calling a mechanic and saying that you are is making noises. I would nee to now a lot more before venturing an educated guess. Sorry brother!

@vulpes Hey brother, yea man, i did in my series “So you want to open a gym”. But short answer is that it depends on your gym, what equipment you have, where you live, what type of training you will be doing there, etc. You DEFINITELY need insurance because people get hurt all of the time and someone is going to have to pay for it. I am not worried too much about people suing me (Although that happens), but even though the members of my gym are like family, f they go to the doctor or hospital, and use their medical insurance, then the medical insurance people will come after you. Owning a business without insurance is like skydiving without a parachute.

A waiver doesn’t mean a thing. It technically is legally binding but any lawyer worth anything will find loopholes and ways around it. All it really does is make people feel like they CAN’T sue you, but it down’t hold much water in court. It is expensive, but is a must. Just like an AED. Sure it is SUPER expensive, and hopefully you will never have to use it. But if you ever do, you will be glad you spent the money or you will literally lose everything you have worked your whole life for. I hope that helps man. Go buy insurance if you are opening your own place!

=======================================================
This Saturday, I Competed 2 Weight Classes Up (They Combined everyone weighing between 232lbs - 300lbs) in the “East Cost’s Most Powerful Man” Show at the Baltimore Convention Center. I was fortunate enough to come home with the Heavyweight Title and had a great time! In this video I show all of my events and recap my thoughts and feeling during and after the contest. Thank you to everyone who supported me for this. I really does mean a lot everyone!

11 Likes

Hey, Alpha. First off, thank you for the free linear program. It has been one of the most beneficial routines I’ve ever done. With that, I was wondering if those basic principles of MGS, SGS, and AGS could work in a two day template. That is, Push/Pull/Leg MGS and SGS, then core work for AGS. The reason I ask is because I am a medical student and my schedule is about to get fairly hectic for the next couple of months. I can consistently get access to the gym twice a week, but more than that will be highly variable.

Thanks.

@DDxWizard Yep, you could definitely run that kind of thing with a two day template but I would do 2 Giant sets each Day. One for the main movement/Antagonistic/Core and an assistance Giant set. i am so glad that it is helping you out!

======================================================
Here is Part III of the Cheat Sheet Series where I cover the Cues I personally use on the Deadlift. Maybe there are some you aren’t implementing or have forgotten about that might help get those numbers moving again! As always, thank you All so much for the support!

Just watched the competition video Alpha. Fantastic showing. You absolutely crushed it. It’s incredibly telling that, while taking it easy and focusing on not getting hurt, you can still take first in the yoke. Excited to see how you do at nationals.

1 Like

I’m making the rounds asking all of the strongman studs their opinions.

I’ve picked out my next competition, and the weights are quite a bit lighter than my previous competition. Should i do anything different/specific for training? Lots of timed (as in the competition time for each event) sets, training significantly over (load wise) the competition weights, focus more on conditioning, etc?

Been away from the internet for a while but good to see you still killing it Brian. Nice work man

Just saw you’re going to collab with Jon Call?!?!?! That’s badass dude!

@T3hPwnisher Dude, thank you so much, that really does mean a lot! Hopefully This year’s Lats will go better than the past few years! Are you going?

@brady888 Absolutely man, I would completely overhaul what you are doing. I’d add in Giant sets, mindset challenges and conditioning every day. It will 100% matter come game day! I hope that helps man!

@simo74 Thanks so much brother!

@oldbeancam Yea man, it should be a really good time!

========================================================
For those of you interested, here is my latest video where I talk about being a small business owner and some of the trial that come with it. Check it out if you are interested!

3 Likes