Alpha V

@Roran Hahaha I love both of those man!

@Ironwarrior25 Absolutely man, that is a lot of the stuff I plan on talking about! Hopefully I can get it done sometime next week!

==================================================
Part II of the April Q&A Where I touch Upon:

0:05 Why Do you use a Mixed Grip When Deadlifting?
2:43 Who are your role Models as a Strongman/Coach/Husband Etc?
4:47 What is Your Most Memorable Lift?
6:53 Are Giant Sets Good For Beginners?
7:45 How you do Keep Intensity when no training for a Competition?
9:55 How Has Your Workout Routine Changed in the Last 5 Years?
11:37 What Has Lifting Most Significantly Changed About your Life?

I’m loving all of your content. I have something for your next round of Q&A if you feel like it’s be worth the time to answer on that medium -

To what degree is GPP important versus SPP?
In competitions we start wide to develop that base then narrow our spectrum to whatever our events are as our competitions get closer. But, as I’ve heard Jim Wendler harp about a bit recently, it seems like a lot of athletes walk before they run; myself included.

For instance, I keep trying to get better at the log, but my overall pressing & upper body strength is low by strength sport standards. So does really hammering log technique serve me? In the short run i imagine it does, but if I could rep out 225 strict presses and really built up my upper body, a 200lb competition log wouldn’t buzz on my radar. On the flip side, if strongman is in fact my focus, would having incredible log technique overcome my general lack of brute strength? Which deserves the focus?

I’ll throw out a question for ya

Do you have any Podcasts you recommend? I saw the 100 book challenge you did last year, so it certainly seems like your the type who cares about education. Ive started listening to podcasts during my weighted rucks in the morning, good way to knock out two goals at the same time, and it keeps my mind busy enough that I actually hate to end the ruck haha.

The Jocko podcast is great, really enjoy that one, and Tim Kennedy has one too called the sheepdog project

@TX_iron This is a really great topic mana and i am definitely going to add it to my next Q&A brother! Thanks for it!

@atlas13 Hmm honestly the only 2 that I regularly listen to are the Joe Rogan Podcast and the Tim Ferris Podcast. Currently i only drive to my gym a few times a day and fighting so I do not spend nearly as much time commuting as I use to, so my podcast listening time is like of limited. But i really like both of those.

@Tim_Tom Yea man, I have heard Jacko’s before but I have never heard Tim’s. i will have to check it out! Thanks man!

==============================================

“To be nobody - but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else, means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting.” --e. e. cummings

MONDAY, 08MAY2017 - Work For Today

Felt beat up from the comp but i wants to see what was still in the tank. I ended up pulling 725 to my knees but then put it down because my body is still pretty unhappy. I know it’s there I just need the rest.

Did sets of 8 on the 45 Degree Deadlifts at 315lbs, Giant Setted with Glute Ham Raises and Glute Ham Raise Sit-Ups. Need more rest hahah.

=================================================

But Was Fortunate Enough to Come in 1st Place for my Heavyweight Debut this weekend in Delaware! Even Walked away with a State Record in the Circus Dumbbell! Really great day and i was happy with my performance. In this video I show all of the raw footage and give my thoughts about how it all went down.

14 Likes

Great, GREAT win. Congrats.

Fantastic showing @Alpha . As someone else that hates the circus dumbbell, what have you done that has helped you improve it?

That basket deadlift looked awesome. I’ve always wanted to do an event like that.

1 Like

WOW!!! My favorite wasn’t the circus dumbbell, it was you looking like you were about to head butt that tire after you were done LOLLLLLL.

…and the awesome Strongman win will soon be followed by 50K subscribers to your channel!!!

(49,933 as of this post!)

1 Like

Congratulations @Alpha, you are an inspiration to so many of us and I have said it a lot of time but I truly am happy for all the success you are having! You deserve it.
Best wishes going forward.

Congratulations brother!!! That is awesome! A win as a heavy weight is seriously impressive, especially considering how Big some of those boys get!!!

In response the Podcasts, Joe Rogan and Tim Ferris are both on my radar, seem like good guys to listen to. And @Tim_Tom , Big follower of the Jocko Podcast, been a fan since I read his book a while back

1 Like

Congrats man

Really like how you started full on running after dropping the bell. Ha great shit man!

@strongmanvinny2 Thanks so much brother!

@T3hPwnisher For you my friend, I will make a video about it. I’ll try to get it done ASAP brother!

@punnyguy Thank you so much brother!!

@Koestrizer Thank you so much man, that really does mean a lot!

@atlas13 Thank so much man!

@stronkfak Thanks brother!

@oldbeancam Hahah i did?

================================================

“Don’t measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should have accomplished with your ability.”

“Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.” --John Wooden

WEDNESDAY, 10MAY2017 - Work For Today

Well, I am not going to lie. I am beat up…Didn’t expect much from today but was fortunate enough to hit a 315 lb Strict Press PR!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BT7FiOpDP0X/?taken-by=neversate

3 Likes

@9:36 you look like you’re about to tackle the fuck out of that dude on the sideline, thats what I was referring to. Ha

Nice job on the 3 plate strict press!

Hey bud, congratulations on the victory, and the record. Awesome! Congrats to the team as well.

Perfect timing for the video, I found it very helpful! Congratulations on the PR as well! Another plate is always fun.

@oldbeancam Hahaha Nah man that is just the weight of the dumbbell throwing you forward. But I definitely see what you are saying!

@kckfl349 Thanks brother!

@Betabill Thank you so much man!

@Roran Hahah yea man, it has been a long time since I hit 2 plates and may never see 4 in the strict so i am going to relish this one!

========================================================

In this video I talk about methods to help you “Flip the Switch” during a competition. You can apply these to every area of your life, but especially when it comes to a big culminating event such as a test, presentation or Competition. I hope some of you will find this helpful!

1 Like

The training week after a comp is always interesting. Some thing go well, others just don’t show up to the party. I hit a few PRs, did 400x20 On the Hands Wide SSB Squat, Finally got 315 on the Strict Overhead Press and Failed miserably on a Deadlift PR. Overall it was a great week!

4 Likes

20 rep squats are the best thing in the history of mankind

1 Like