Alpha V

Great video, unfortunately watched/listened after yesterday’s workout, had to talk myself out of a second, ha!

1 Like

I’m really glad to see this out there. This was one of the first things I ever read when I found your log a few years ago and was the reason I kept reading. Now you’ve got a bigger audience and its good they get to hear it too. Stay true, die empty.

That video helped me PR on deadlift.

@littlesleeper Thank you so much Brother!

@Tim_Tom Hahaha i hope it helped in the morning man!

@punnyguy Dude, that you so much, that really does mean a lot! Thank you for the support!

@AliveAgain36 Hahah thanks boss!

@Despade Hahaha I am glad you liked it man, thanks!

@Roran Dude, it felt like a culminating event. 4 years later it just seemed like the right time to put it out there. My vision hasn’t changed and i don’t think it ever will!

@strongmanvinny2 Dude that is awesome! Great job brother!

=======================================

“Perseverance is the hard work you do after you get tired of doing the hard work you already did.” --Newt Gingrich

“The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work.” --Thomas A. Edison

FRIDAY, 21APRIL2017 - Work For Today

I wasn’t supposed to do anything today because i am doing a Mock Meet tomorrow for my May Comp…But I got bored so i worked up to 500x2 on the Front Squat

https://www.instagram.com/p/BTKFUjlBxGl/?taken-by=neversate

2 Likes

I wish for the day I become so bored I front squat 500 for a double. Good shit man

2 Likes

Beat me to it. Seriously wtf.

1 Like

@oldbeancam Hahah sometimes being bored works out!

@ultimatethor Hahah just remember that i have been at this a very long time! You will be there one day!

===================================================
“Winners embrace hard work. They love the discipline of it, the trade-off they’re making to win. Losers, on the other hand, see it as punishment. And that’s the difference.” --Lou Holtz

“All life demands struggle. Those who have everything given to them become lazy, selfish, and insensitive to the real values of life. The very striving and hard work that we so constantly try to avoid is the major building block in the person we are today.” --Pope Paul VI

SATURDAY, 22APRIL2017 - Work For Today

Well, the plan was to come in a do a mock meet for my upcoming comp. So i started out with Circus Dumbbell…I hate the Circus Dumbbell…

But I was fortunate enough to hit a 225lb PR! Not bad for one arm, but i am not sure that it will be enough to win that event at my comp.

Then I moved onto Farmer’s which went horribly. I kept failing with 315 in each hand which is a weight I have hit more times than i can remember in the past but i just can’t seem to get it done anymore. Hopefully with a deload it will go ok at the Comp but this one is probably my biggest worry.

Then I moved onto tire Flips. 650lbs Tire, As Many Reps as possible in :60 Seconds.
I did 14. It was one of the more horrible things I have done in a long time . I ended up puking my brains out so i called it a day. I think 14 would win in a comp, but who knows.

This comp will be my first time ever competing against Heavyweights so I will be giving up about 70lbs Bodyweight to the competition but I am hopeful. I just want to play with the big boys and my Strongman Goals involve competing in the Heavyweight Class…It may be a mistake, but i won’t know until game day.

Here is the 225lb Circus Dumbbell PR
https://www.instagram.com/p/BTMjnsfBBTn/?taken-by=neversate

2 Likes

“To be a champion, I think you have to see the big picture. It’s not about winning and losing; it’s about every day hard work and about thriving on a challenge. It’s about embracing the pain that you’ll experience at the end of a race and not being afraid. I think people think too hard and get afraid of a certain challenge.” --Summer Sanders

MONDAY, 24APRIL2017 - Work For Today

CONDITIONING - At The Top of Every minute for 10 Minutes
2 Pull-Ups
3 Burpee Bar Touches
4 Push-Ups
5 Squats
6 Kettlebell Swings

STRONGMAN - I am not gonna lie. Between peaking for this comp and fighting multiple times a week, I am like a beat up piece of meat…I am heading into the deload but first i need to get an idea of where I was at on Stones so I did a bunch of them culminating in this set of a 350lb Stone for a set of 4. I would have had the 5th but the tacky was leaving my hands and you can see it slip. If I would have had the aforthought to put a gob on the back of my arm, I may have had a 6th in that minute. Good things to figure out now vs. during the comp

https://www.instagram.com/p/BTR3RlvB1If/?taken-by=neversate

===============================================
People are always asking me how my Arms got so big. I tell them Strongman movements and they don’t like that answer. So then I say, big compound movements during my assistance work, but they aren’t too fond of that either, so in this video I lay out the exercises i feel will make your arms bigger and stronger in the shortest amount of time. I hope it will help some of you out!

1 Like

Exciting to see you wreck the heavyweight class Alpha. Also, I gotta thank you for sharing your tips on the stone of steel with me. I didn’t manage to get it over the bar, but I was the first guy in the entire show to finally lap the damn stone after it wiped out like half the competitors, and the crowd went nuts when it happened, which was cool in it’s own right. Your advice of squeezing the crap out of it held true, and I went without the wide receiver gloves as well.

I’ll have to find another show to try to qualify for nationals on to come meet up with you and @strongmanvinny2 It might mean having to sell the wife on getting a stone of steel for the house, haha.

2 Likes

You should just tell people you secretly go to a commercial gym and do the tricep and curl machines for an hour.

2 Likes

@Alpha
What is your opinion on slowly building strength while trying to get rid of excessively fat around the waist. Is it realistic? Or would it be better to focus on building strength, do some conditioning and minimize fat gain?

@T3hPwnisher Dude it would be amazing if the three of us could all meet up sometime! That would be absolutely amazing!

@sufiandy Hahaha my name is Brian and i am a curl-a-holic…

@strong_runner I think it is absolutely realistic, but your programming would have to support such a plan with things like giant sets and conditioning mixed in with smart strength work so that you don’t dig too deep. Most of the people who do my programs see theses kinds of results but they are also a lot harder than may people are willing to work. But it is definitely doable. i hope that helps!

========================================================

In this Video I Have a Discussion With Xabi Osa, one of our Adaptive Strongman Athletes at my Gym. Although Born with only part of his arm, Xabi always finds a way to get things done! He Outworks most people in life, he’s eternally positive and Seriously one of the nicest and most inspiring individuals that I have ever met. Check out What Xabi has to say about, life, lifting and excuses. Thanks everyone!

5 Likes

Thanks for this great video and thanks to Xabi for sharing his story. Quality

Wow, took a look at Xabi’s instagram. Handsome dude in the video but the man was going full on GQ over there haha. Surfing, pretty ladies, and rocking the whole “Blue Steel” thing. Good for him, mans living it up. Motivating as hell.

Thanks. I actually starting you’re program on Monday, after I’m done with my spartan race. Just gotta figure out a nutrition strategy.

Wow, just WOW!!! Loving how things have exploded for you, you definitely deserve it. It must be exhausting doing all you do. You truly make me and my excuses want to hide, haha.
Anyways, I’ve mentioned before I’ve been doing your traing from your site. My conditioning was poor to say the least. (Now it’s fair😃)!! However I’ve dropped 13 pounds, and my numbers which dropped initially, are climbing again. I’m aware you’re not about aesthetics. But I find most people just want to look good naked. Fwiw, the programming does that. The mindset that you embrace, and encourage others to embrace is a game changer. Going through the motions, HA, we will have none of that!! Just a testimonial that your shyt works, if one works it!!!
Good luck with the big guys, keep on keeping on, and may the universe bless you with all your desires. And, thank you so much!

2 Likes

What a guy Xabi is! Thanks for sharing that man.

@simo74 Sure thing brother!

@atlas13 Yea man, he is awesome!

@strong_runner That is awesome Man, I hope it helps!

@Betabill That you so much for this man, i really appreciate it!

@Ironwarrior25 Yea man, he is an inspiration!

=========================================================

Some great questions from the April Q&A! Thank you to all of you have submitted questions and I will be releasing part 2 of the Q&A Tomorrow! Thanks for all of the Support Everyone!
TIME STAMPS
1:10 What is the difference between “Good” Pain and “Bad” Pain?
3:05 Top 5 Barbell Exercises for Strongman?
5:52 What Recovery Methods do you use?
6:16 How do you build explosiveness over Maximal Strength?
8:57 What type of music do you listen to when Lifting?
10:03 What type of Movies do You like?
11:55 If you were on Death Row, What would your last meal be?
12:12 Thoughts on Older individuals Starting Strongman?
15:53 What is the most Important Training Variable?

2 Likes

Just dropped by to complain about the lack of Star Wars in your life. But you mentioned a lot of my favorites haha. Have you seen The Last Samurai and A Knight’s Tale?

2 Likes

Looking forward to the video on “switching on” for competition and eliminating external factors. I remember you giving me advice 2 years ago before I hit the Summer races and would love to see that content on your channel, particularly in dealing with pre-competition nerves and pressure. Although I am getting better it, I still feel the panic before every race.

1 Like