Alpha V

@xXSeraphimXx You got it brother!

=====================================================

Wrnt back to fighting today because I think it will be good for my head and for cutting weight. Rolled for about an hour and then did 30 Minutes of the Air Assault bike.

Just cutting weight…

1 Like

How do you like that Duffalo bar @Alpha?

@anon50325502 I love it man! But I am not sure it is worth the price to be honest. I think a SSB bar is much more worth the money. I hope that helps brother!

===========================================================

“We’re dissatisfied with our jobs, our relationships, our place in the world. We’re trying to get somewhere, but something stands in the way…So we do nothing. We blame our bosses, the economy, our politicians, other people, or we write ourselves off as failures or our goals as impossible. When really only one thing is at fault: Our attitude.” --Ryan Holiday, The Obstacle is the Way

WEDNESDAY, 29MARCH2017 - Work For Today

CONDITIONING - 20, 15, 10 Reps of:
Thrusters
Burpee Lateral Jumps
Run 200 Meters

STRENGTH - Bench Press
135xsome
225x3
315x3
365x3
405x2
455x1…Was shot from fighting yesterday…i need to get back in shape!

ASSISTANCE - Trap Bar Strict Overhead Press (Yes you read that right)
135x3
185x3
225x3
245x3
275x1

VOLUME - 7 Rounds of the Following Giant Set
20 Face Pulls
8 Trap Bar Strict OHP @ 185 lbs
10 Ring Toes to Bar

NOTES:

• Strong just did not show up today! I definite think the fighting has something to do with it just because it is something I am not used to anymore. But it will get better as I adjust.
  • Bench was weak today, or gravity was strong…
  • The Trap bar OHP is something I stole from Brian Shaw because he said it was a game changer for his Overhead stuff because it brought up his rear delts…Which makes a lot of sense even though it goes against what most people say about the overhead press…Then again, most people aren’t the strongest man in the world…I think i will take my advise from him rather than other sources.
3 Likes

Protective gear such as Belts, Sleeves and Wraps can really help your performance and longevity in Strength Sports. In this video, I explain how they are used, which types I recommend and my thoughts about them in general. I hope some of you will find this helpful!

2 Likes

If you have aspirations of competing in Strongman, you will eventually run into an Axle Clean & Press Event. Hopefully this video will help you learn how to Continental Clean so you can Dominate as Safely as Possible.

1 Like

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” — Mark Twain

MONDAY, 03APRIL2017

…Time to Test out the Foot…

STRONGMAN - Yoke Carry
360 x50 Foot
450 x50 Foot
540 x50 Foot
630 x50 Foot
720 x50 Foot
720 x50 Foot
630 x50 Foot
540 x50 Foot
450 x50 Foot
360 x50 Foot

FARMER’S CARRY
135 x50 Foot (Each Hand)
185 x50 Foot (Each Hand)
225 x50 Foot (Each Hand)
275 x50 Foot (Each Hand)
275 x50 Foot (Each Hand)
275 x50 Foot (Each Hand)
275 x50 Foot (Each Hand)
300 x50 Foot (Each Hand)

GRIP/CONDITIONING
:30 Seconds Max Kettle Bell Swings @ 70lbs
:30 Seconds Rest
For 10 Minutes

Then I spent about 20 Minutes walking around with a blob trying to work my pinch grip. When i would drop it, I would hang for as long as possible from a 2" Axle.

Then I did an entire newspaper crumple thing to finish them off.

NOTES:

• My foot is pissed at me. - Which is Bad
  • I don’t really care. - Which Is Good
  • My 2 Stone of Steel’s came in today so i will get to play with them tomorrow! - This is both good and bad…
1 Like

I feel like this is highly underrated. They help with the over head in general of course, but the real world application is definitely there imo. I also wanted to stop in and say thank you for all the information you just throw up for free man. I’ve structured a lot of my training differently because of you and it has helped a TON. Really glad someone who actually deserves recognition is finally getting it.

3 Likes

Also, this made me laugh my ass off. I tore a tendon in my wrist ~4 months ago and it gives me problems everyday. But knowing someone is going through something similar makes it easier to train in all honesty

@Alpha, do you have any suggestions/advice for 2 times a week training?

1 Like

@oldbeancam Thank you so much man, i am glad it is helpful!

@Benanything Yea man, I would do full Body both days Giant set style with Conditioning at the end. I hope that helps!

=================================================

WEDNESDAY, 05APRIL2017 - Work For Today

STRENGTH & CONDITIONING
8 SSB Squats @ 160lbs
200 Meter Sled Drag
8 SSB Squats @ 250lbs
200 Meter Sled Drag
8 SSB Squats @ 340lbs
200 Meter Sled Drag
8 SSB Squats @ 430lbs
200 Meter Sled Drag
8 SSB Squats @ 500lbs
200 Meter Sled Drag

Puked my Brains Out…

Stone of Steel to Shoulder
190lbs x a lot
225x a few
250 x 3
275x1

NOTES:

• The start of the day was absolutely brutal. I really can’t describe how hard it was. But I feel so good that i did that today!

In this one, I talk about my upcoming Competition plans, Why I have a Black Eye and Explain what a Typical Day of Eating looks like During this Weight Cut…

2 Likes

“What you’re supposed to do when you don’t like a thing is change it. If you can’t change it, change the way you think about it. Don’t complain.” --Maya Angelou

SATURDAY, 08APRIL2017 - Work For Today

STRONGMAN
Paused Deadlifts: 135, 225, 315, 405, 500, 585, 635
Circus Dumbbell: 150lbs x 5, 5, 5, 5, 5
Farmer’s Walk: 275x50ft, 275x50ft, 300x50ft
Keg Carry & Load Medley: 250, 275, 300

NOTES:

• Sleepy.
3 Likes

Some Training Highlights from this week. One Month out and feeling Dangerous.

1 Like

Why did you delete the vid man!?!? I was just about to watch it

Edit 10 hours later: Forget what I said, maybe it was a glitch or something, my laptop said the video was withdrawn

Video works for me.

@Alpha Fantastic video. That squat/sled drag combo looked brutal; similar to something Dan John talked about. Always wanted to give it a try.

Any tips on the stone of steel? I got one in an upcoming show. Squeezing tight seems to be key. Do you use a tacky towel or anything like that, or just stick with chalk?

Hey Alpha,

Good to hear that you are getting back into fighting.
I know you are a brown belt in BJJ, but do you also practice striking??

I have been doing BJJ for the last 12 months, and I am thinking of maybe learning some form of striking, even if its just once a week. I was thinking either boxing or kick boxing? Any suggestions?

I enjoyed the segment of what you are eating. Interesting and entertaining. I know its tedious but nutrition plays a large part in this game, and people want to see what you eat. Would be good if you can do something like that once a month.

Uncle Bird.

tweet

1 Like

Well im not Alpha, and I am pretty sure he could whip my A** six ways to Sunday, but I did compete in MMA for a couple years, which really just means I got beat up daily for a couple years and thought it was a good time haha. For ground game, BJJ beats everything, though having a base in wrestling has helped me far more than anything else.

As far as striking goes, Id be hesitant to go with boxing. While boxing is pretty amazing in terms of fist striking, it completely ignores lower body strikes and elbows. While possibly the best possible thing for your hands, it has such a limited range.

IDK crap about kickboxing. No one in my gym did it. So cant comment on that.

I will say that whenever i went against a man who was REALLY REALLY good at Muay Thai, I ended up bleeding A FREAKING LOT! sucks for me, but great for him. So based off of my own experienced pain, Id highly recommend that. Turns the whole body into a potential weapon. From what I have seen anyway.

1 Like

@Panopticum Only art of it uploaded so i had to redo it.

@T3hPwnisher Dude the SOS is not cool. At lighter weights it actually feels better than a normal stone but as it gets heavier the grip becomes the limiting factor. I can shoulder a 350 regular stone but failed at 300 on the SOS. It also hurts your bicep a lot because it is constantly slipping and you are bending your arms to try to save it on the pick. Definitely dicey, but it is where most promoters are moving so i suppose we need to be able to do it.

Some people use Wide receiver gloves. I tried them and actually feel more slipping than chalk alone. Some people are working on rubberized sleeves but i haven’t had the chance to use them yet. Brian Shaw did give me a few Rovio grip shirts and that seemed to help but some shows won’t allow them. Some people use a tacky towel to just get a sticky count on your hands/arms, but again, some places won’t allow that either.

i found that the best thing for me was to make sure my shirt/Arms/hands were dry and then chalk up like crazy but not so much that there is excess. Too much makes it slip also. Then really focusing on the crush both for the pick and for the hinge seemed to work decently. But it is a beast man…

@theBird Right on man, that eating thing is probably something I am going to start doing. And yea man, i am actually a 3rd degree black belt in Shotokan Karate and have done a ton of Muy Thai. I would definitely recommend the Muy Thai if you are going to try a striking art man. It is a lot of fun!

@atlas13 Hahaha i would agree with you brother!

2 Likes

Hey Alpha just saw your training video Love it is see how how you train and the dedication That squat/sled combo looks brutal! Also love the gym wish I could find something like that . Anyway keep up the good work.

Really appreciate the tips dude. Your strategy sounds like the same gameplan I had going in. Wasn’t sure what promoters were going to allow, so I’m just gonna stick with chalk. Thanks for sharing the info!