Alpha V

Best wishes for the new year @Alpha!
That you may have hit the 20.000 subs before February, and 200.000 before the end of the year! (those both seem manageable).

And being first at nationals might also be in the books this year;)

Make an awesome year of 2017, man. You deserve it

@Panopticum Man, thank you so much! If I could pull those thing off, it would be completely amazing! You are awesome man, thank you!

======================================================

“This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; the being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy.” --George Bernard Shaw

MONDAY, 09JANUARY2017 - Work For Today

Had a Soldier who lost both of his legs come to the gym today to work some strongman stuff from his Wheelchair. Completely inspiring. He is now part of our gym. If I ever make an excuse for why I can’t do something ever again, I am going to punch myself in the face…

STRENGTH GIANT SET
20 Grenade Pul-Ups: 1, 1, 1, 1, 1
Axle Strict Press: 135, 225, 250, 275, 305 (PR)
10 Toes To bar: 1, 1, 1, 1, 1

Was running out of time, So i just tried to get a short conditioning session in
3 Rounds of
5 Keg Clean & Presses @ 210lbs (Clean Every Rep)
200 Foot Prowler Push

NOTES:

• Was definitely happy about the 305 Strict press. It is a 5lb PR. It was a little slower than i wanted, but I let it get out in front of me a little bit. Definitely more in the tank, just need to hit it right.
  • Also happy about hitting so many sets of 20 grenade Pull-Ups. 100 on the day isn’t bad at all.
  • I should (Hopefully) Have the training vid up tomorrow. I just have so much to get done before i leave for Alan Thrall and Mark Bell next week. Not enough hours in the Days right now. I’ll get it done though!
10 Likes

Here is this Week’s Training Vlog Where I was fortunate enough to hit a 305 Axle Strict Press, Had a 560lb Front Squat go Terribly wrong and Show the 350lb Stone to Shoulder PR. I hope some of you will find this entertaining!

2 Likes

I missed wherever you mentioned this before.

That’s kinda cool.

Safe travels next week! And very nice stone and press PR. Sorry I missed you over the winter but I still managed to get up and see every one else, you’ve really got a great environment there. I’ll be on the look out for the collaboration videos.

So excited to see what’s in store for you on the west coast. Gonna be waiting for the content to be released! I hope it doesn’t take too long.

That stone shoulder btw has me at a loss for words. Derek Poundstone shouldered a 400lb stone and he had over 80lbs of bodyweight on you. I’m telling you, once you get your technique honed in and find your stride, you’ll turn a big corner in the sport Brian. I can see that for sure.

2 Likes

@strongmanvinny2 man, that would be amazing…I am sick of getting killed at Nationals every year! And thanks about the collab man, i think it will be a really good time and hopefully I will have time to get a vid up while I am out there!

========================================================
RANT: Motivation Follows Action, Action Doesn’t follow Motivation. Audit your time. If you have spent more time on the internet AUGURING about form, diet or programming than you have actually training…Or you keep searching for that magic exercise or pill that will secretly give you all of the results you want. You can stop looking. It doesn’t exist. Maybe instead, you should just get to the gym and actually try doing some work. I explain why in this video.

4 Likes

Really enjoyed the rant video! It reminded me of all the rants I read in your older logs when I just started lifting.

Also I was wondering if you could keep me accountable for my 2017 goal. I will bench 315 lbs by December 31st, 2017. I really just need to tell someone who understands because none of my friends here really lift or set goals.

First, thanks for everything you put out there. You’re logs and youtube channel are inspirational, educational, and entertaining.

I started doing 4x8, 5x5, 10x3 about a month ago and just started into the 5x5, but I’m wondering if I’m doing something wrong. I set 8 rep PRs, which were tough, but solid. When I went into my first week of 5x5, though, I could barely get 5 reps with just 5 lbs more than what I did last week for 8 on squats and failed horribly with 5 lbs more on deadlift. The squats were even 15 lbs less, and the deadlifts 25lbs less, than my 5 RMs from just two months ago.

Nothing outside the gym has changed.

Thanks for any thoughts you may have!

Ben

@Roran Thanks man, i am actually thinking of reading some of those old ones on video as i play some footage and stuff. I would like to let me current audience hear where it all started. And i WILL absolutely keep you accountable! You have a good plan for how you are going to get there?

@Tougher Well, it sounds like it may be a recovery issue man. There is no really reason why you should drop 3 reps and only get 5 more pounds or eve go down in weight. You nee to remember that your old recovery that worked for what you used to be doing may not be enough for the new workload. You may need to start incorporating some other forms of recovery in order for your body to keep producing better and better results each week. That could be more food, more LAX ball work, ore sleep or more contrast showers. Or it could have just been a fluke where you may have been fighting off a sickness or something like that. i say rest up this weekend and go back after it hard next week. If the problem persists, definitely look into trying to make recovery more of a priority and things should balance out. I hope that helps man!

Yesterday at the gym I just did a lot of prowler sprints @ 400lbs. I want to workout, but I am not sure what this upcoming week will hold with the collaborations, so I want to be well rested for whatever it brings. Maybe even a deadlift PR if i am feeling good enough. We will see.

But in the meantime…

In this Video, I lay out my current PRs and talk about the numbers I hope to hit by the end of 2017. I also talk about my competition goals and what I am hoping to achieve with my business/Youtube in the upcoming year.

1 Like

Thank you, I really appreciate it!
Well I am embarrassed to admit that while I’ve learned a lot from you and borrowed a lot, I’ve never run your style of training 100% for any extended period of time. So I’ll be following the program you put up on youtube a few weeks ago and putting my bench press first in the week (because that’s the goal, and because people always bench the most on Mondays…). I’ll re-evaluate after the PR week and go from there. My best bench ever is 250, and my current is somewhere in-between 225 and 250.

I hope you have safe travels, and some good business exposure while you’re out west!

Thanks! Now that you mention it, recovery is definitely something I’ve focused on more as an after thought. With the increase in volume and intensity, I’ll have to prioritize it a lot more. Contrast showers, more food, and nightly soft tissue/mobility work should help. I’ve had some goals for a while and I know this will be the year.

I’m looking forward to following your progress over the year.

I’m heading down to the US later this month, so hopefully I will be able to get one of your shirts shipped to the hotel.

Alpha, this was an amazing video. I’m not gonna lie; I’m a little miffed that a dude who is bigger and stronger than me also managed to condense 4 years of my blog into 16 minutes and say everything far more eloquently, but this was such a powerful message. I’m hoping it reached at least a few people, because I definitely needed to hear this at one point in my training, and sooner would have been better than later.

Big fan of the channel and really happy for how things are turning out for you. A little bummed I’m out of the CA region these days, otherwise I woulda tried to bug you on your trip out west.

Also, I’ve been playing around with this in my own training and figured you’d like to give it a go. I know you like tabata stuff. I’ve been doing tabata front carries with sandbags and kegs. They both have their pros and cons, but in either capacity, I end up pretty floored by the end of it. Don’t know if you’ve given them a try, but I stole the idea from Dan John regarding farmers.

Stay strong dude!

4 Likes

New sweatshirts are nice, man!

@Roran Thanks so much man and if you find yourself running into any trouble, just reach out and i will do my best to help you out man! You will get there!

@Tougher Thanks man and definitely hit up that recovery, it is MASSIVELY important! And shipping to a hotel shouldn’t be any problem at all!

@T3hPwnisher Man, thank you so much for the kind words and it would have been awesome to meet up while i am out here! And I will definitely try out those tabata carries! And I absolutely love Dn John’s stuff. Dude is a mad scientist!

@anon50325502 Thanks man! It looks good on you brother! That is awesome!

=========================================================

So I made it to Sacramento and had my first training session at Untamed Strength with Alan Thrall. Dude is beyond cool and I was fortunate enough to hit a 300lb Viper Press while there. This first video is just kind of explaining my trip out and showing some appreciation. Onto SuperTraining today where I will get to workout with their crew. I am excited and terrified all at the same time!

8 Likes

DUDDDDE. Loving your videos lately. Thanks for being you!

^x2.

Alpha, you’ve got to raise the human flag while you’re at SuperTraining!

Very cool to see you on Mark Bell’s Instagram just now! Beyond excited to see the footage :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Can’t wait to hear all about it!

4 Likes