Alpha V

390 Overhead Press PR & the Assistance exercises you are not doing…but probably should:

3 Likes

There have been a lot of requests for me to give a Gym Tour of my gym, NEVERsate Athletics. If you have ever wondered what some of the stuff you see in the background of my videos is or want to know some of the tools I use during my workouts, here you go. I really appreciate all of the support everyone and Hope you come visit sometime!

4 Likes

No frog fitness.Not gonna buy a membership

:rage: :rage:

@stronkfak I totally understand my friend…

=================================================

If you have ever wanted abs, a six-pack, or just want to lift heavy weights…In this video, I go over some of my favorite core exercises for Strongman, Powerlifting and overall fitness.

2 Likes

“There are two primary choices in life: to accept conditions as they exist, or accept the responsibility to change them.” --Denis Waitley

WEDNESDAY, 07DECEMBER2016 - Work For Today

So I really haven’t been lifting much because I have had Pneumonia…and am on some antibiotics that have my head a little bit weird at the moment…But I was getting a little bit stir crazy so I went in and did this today:

STRENGTH GIANT SET
Bent Over Rows: 225x5, 275x5, 315x5, 335x5, 335x5, 335x5, 315x5, 315x5
3 Second Pause Bench press: 135x3, 225x3, 315x1, 365x1, 405x1, 455x1, 475x1, 485xNope
Toes to bar: Sets of 10 after each set.

Was kinda bummed about missing the 485 so I dropped the weight to my bodyweight on the bar (240lbs - I weigh 237 right now) and did a max rep set…Ended up with 30

https://www.instagram.com/p/BNurN8aAH7W/?taken-by=neversate

1 Like

Man, if that stuff with Mark Bell/ST and doing a Powercast actually works out, that would be really nice.

1 Like

Just bought a hoodie and a t-shirt -I think they look great! I LOL’d at the picture of you pressing the lady overhead. (your wife? or a very trusting person, because she looked very relaxed way up there!)

When do you go hang out with Alan Thrall? If I’m in the neighborhood, I’d love to stop by and shake your hand.

Fingers crossed on you making a ST Power event happen!

(we should all go post a request on the channel there, or Jim McDonald or SilentMike’s channel)

edit to add: LOL, someone already posted a request on ST’s latest video; I think it’s better to do it closer to the date, no??

This is all incredible news! Congratulations!

@dicksharpe It looks like it is going to man, but I didn’t want to make a promises!

@punnyguy Well it can’t hurt man! I will be in sacramento mid January, I’ll post more as it gets closer. But the more that mark and his crew hears my name, the better!

@Roran Thanks brother! Big things!

================================================
Well, I know many of you have already heard but I just released some big news on my Youtube channel! Check it out if you are interested!

Oh and I wish i had the time to write the full workout but I was fortunate enough to hit a 655 Pause Squat PR today!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BNz4ErYA5lf/?taken-by=neversate

13 Likes

Just put in my order for the sweatshirt. Looking forward to wearing it for some winter workouts in the near future.

And, of course, that was an amazing squat!

@T3hPwnisher Thanks for doing that brother, I can’t tell you how much I appreciate all of the support!

====================================================
A brief history of where Atlas Stones came from as well as a guide on how to lift bigger, heavier Stones! I hope some of you will find this helpful!

3 Likes

So you’ll be in Sac in mid-January? Please tell me you might come to the strongman contest Alan is running on Jan 14-15. I am competing and it would be awesome to get a chance to meet you. Oh and congrats on the squat PR!

1 Like

You’re being an absolute beast as always, Alpha. I noticed you’ve been getting some free publicity on reddit and such, I’m glad that more people are discovering your videos.

1 Like

@ultimatethor Man, i wish i would have known! I get there on the 16th and leave on the 20th! I had no idea or I would have been there for that!

@Destrength Yea man, it has been pretty cool! people have been sharing my videos and they asked me to do that AMA that went well. It has been great!

So you want to open a gym? In this series, I share some of my personal experiences in what has worked for me and what hasn’t. In Part I, I talk about why I chose to run classes instead of the traditional “open gym” style & how I recruit serious athletes to train at my facility. Hope it is helpful!

3 Likes

I watched this video this morning, and I am very happy you did this.
I am going to watch it again with my wife as we are thinking about pulling the trigger on opening(rent/lease) our own facility early next year.
We definitely intend to start small (700-1000sq ft.) and currently have a bunch of people saying they are just waiting for me to open it so they can join. Which you spoke to that, and I get it…
Two things, if you get the time.
What are your thoughts on doing a bootcamp style class in the AM only, then the evening classes being the strength/conditioning workouts? It seems the population around our area enjoys those bootcamp/ minute station circuit type workouts, but I wouldnt want to do those exclusively. The interest in powerlifting is also starting to pick up around me…
AND
I’m not sure if you have ever had this situation, but when it comes to coaching/ teaching someone stronger than yourself, is it difficult to stay as mentally engaged or focused on that individual as it would be a beginner? Again, I can’t imagine you have ran into this, but if you have, how did you handle it?

Thank you so much! Looking forward to more videos.

@blackchucks Thanks for watching man, and more parts will be released as soon as i get done editing them! As far as a bootcamp type of thing…i think that is a great idea if you think you have the interest and it may be a good way to start to transition people into more serious forms of lifting. But it would also give you a good client base to help income. It is tough to get serious people to leave their place like i talked about in the video, but some might. Just don’t plan on it. But if you can transition some of the AM people, it would be a great start to a team.

And i actual prefer to coach more advanced people. I like to push them and it inspires me to not only be a better lifter myself but also to stay on top of my coaching game. because if they already have a lot of experience, if you are not making them better, they will go elsewhere. I actually really don’t like working with beginners as much because i am not a stickler on form. Some people like to just start people off at the beginning but I would much rather fix form than teach the basics. i love to see beginners hit PRs and how excited they get and that is awesome, but in all honesty, for most beginners it is not the coaching that is getting them the PR, it is just them learning the movement patterns and such. NOW, if I can take a guy that is already deadlifting 600-700lbs and tweak him to make him gain pounds to that then they have a real sense of what something like that takes and they will be the most grateful people in the world. Just how it goes for me man. And believe it or not, i run into guys stronger than me more than you would believe. i know i have said it before, but I am an intermediate lifter. Amongst top guys I am above average, but the number of people stronger/better than me is astounding! Hope that helps man!

“Be daring, be different, be impractical, be anything that will assert integrity of purpose and imaginative vision against the play-it-safers, the creatures of the commonplace, the slaves to the ordinary.” --Cecil Beaton

FRIDAY, 16DECEMBER2016 - Work For Today

I was able to get a little more done today than usual, but need to get a chest X-Ray monday to see just how bad the pneumonia is because this whole thing started back in October before Nationals, has been through multiple different antibiotics and now is getting worse. When i start to move, I cough up a lung so i am still pretty limited, but at least I got some decent work in today.

MAXIMUM EFFORT UPPER - Variation: Axle Continental Clean & Press

Giant set
1a. Explosive Sled Drags: 300lbs, 350, 350, 350
1b. Weighted Pull-Ups: 100lbs x3, 145x3, 170x3, 190x3(ish) definitely 2…3rd was iffy
1c. Axle Continental Clean & Press: 225lbs, 275, 315, 350
1d. Glute Ham Raise Sit-Ups: 10, 10, 10, 10

NOTES:

• the 350 Continental Clean & press was UGLY…but it went. PR is 355 and I had 365 in my head before i went in…But as i was working up, i knew it wasn’t there so i just wanted to hit something heavy. (Vid below)
  • Weighted pull-ups went pretty well. 190x3(ish) isn’t bad for me
  • And the explosive sled drags definitely helped me with my first pull on the Continentals, I definitely need to remember that in the future.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BOF4KIBAuKP/?taken-by=neversate

2 Likes

Real big fan of the “owning a gym” video Alpha. You’ve been putting out some great stuff recently, but this video really felt very “genuine”. It seemed like you allowed yourself to have a few stutters and less editing and I could really just feel the passion in your words over what you had developed. Awesome to be able to see how much you love what you do and have it translate over the video.

And, of course, that axle on a bad day is nuts. Great work.

1 Like

@T3hPwnisher Thanks so much brother, i really do appreciate you saying all of that and for all of your support with everything!

================================================
Latest Training Vlog Where i hit 190x3 Weighted pull-Ups, 350 Continental Clean & Press, a 400lb Atlas Stone and a 655 Pause Squat.

1 Like

I’ve been around T-Nation for years and I can’t believe I haven’t been reading your log. I just found it two days ago and I’m now through the first three as well as most of your Youtube videos. After reading how your training is set up and watching the video on how you set up linear programming, it was like a light bulb went off. It is very similar to how I used to train when I was in my best shape (using half the weight you do, though).

Unfortunately, I found the internet and figured people putting out programs must know way more than me, so I started following various programs, some very popular, but my progress all but stopped. I think part of it is that I never fully bought into them and always found part of my pulling me back.

I have just done two sessions of insert/GS strength work/extract and it just feels right.

Thank you!

1 Like

Just saw this on Strength Wars and for some weird reason the first person I thought of was you Alpha haha!

Brian ‘Alpha’ Alsruhe vs The Faceless

I’m 90% sure you can wipe the floor with him. Any word on whether you’ll be getting on American Strength Wars or anything?

3 Likes