Alpha V

Well, you made me feel like a lazy piece of shit. Thanks! Loved the conditioning video. How do you feel that the more intense styles translates to things like distance running? I’m sure you had to do a lot of endurance stuff in your old job, did you throw some runs in for it? Thanks. Good luck with winning nationals!

What an amazing video! I hope the message will be around for a LOOOONNNGGG time, because it is both practical and inspirational. Perseverance is the hardest to acquire skill I have ever seen, and conditioning in a hard way is definitely a great way too push some boundaries and grow a pair.

And I feel bad you lost some subs, but can only be happy that you have managed to keep the people who are in, more hardcore.

I’ve been lurking on your log for a very long time but just wanted to finally comment and say I really enjoy your videos!! I have since incorporated the giant sets and super-sets into my 5/3/1 routine and have been able to get a lot more work done in a short amount of time since I workout on my lunch break. Your strength and hard work are amazing but I really appreciate the content you have been putting out on YouTube lately. There were a few key points in the 3rd part of the Deadlift series that got me back to trending upwards with my deadlift. Also your recent conditioning video was on-point as well. I needed to listen to that video earlier this year when I was getting lazy with that part of my training but better late than never!!! Keep doing what you are doing!!

Alpha,
haven’t been online much the last few months - busy with real life, plus not too stoked about the new layout of these forums. Anyway I just dropped by to say hey. I’ve only skimmed the last few posts on this log. I’ll read the backlog properly and watch the videos when I get a spare couple of hours, but you’re obviously still killing it. Keep up the awesome work bro!

@Ironwarrior25 Thank you so much man, I really means a lot that you would say that!
@strongmanvinny2 Hahah I knew you and punisher would like it because I knew you guys would understand. Thanks for he awesome compliment man!
@T3hPwnisher Hahaha that is awesome man! I am so proud o have you repping my shirt! You embody everything I try to talk about. I will definitely get you one as soon as they come out!
@TX_iron Yea man, I think many of them have already come back, but who knows…People are always going to be people!
@Tim_Tom Honestly man, people at my gym never run for anything longer than 400meters. When they go for PT tests they break their scores so i feel it translates over well. But plenty of triathletes come try to do what we do and they struggle. And thank you for the kind words man!
@Panopticum Yea man, i think most of them came back…And if not…Hopefully others will just take up their spots…

===================================================

“There is a battle between two wolves inside all of us. One of the wolves is named Fear. It carries anxiety, concern, uncertainty, hesitancy, indecision and inaction. The other wolf is named Faith. It brings calm, conviction, confidence, enthusiasm, decisiveness excitement and action… Which one wins the battle? The one you feed.” --Gary Keller

WEDNESDAY, 28SEPTEMBER2016 - Work For Today

Yay…Yoke…Just working Speed today
360x100 Feet
450x100 Feet
540x100 Feet
630x100 Feet
700x100 Feet
700x100 Feet
700x100 Feet
700x100 Feet

Then i moved onto Front Squats
135x3
225x3
315x3
405x3
455x3 (Vid Below)
Was doing Barbell Landmines Between Sets

NOTES:

• Yoke was feeling ok. I can feel my foot speed picking up but the broken one definitely hurts a lot and still effect how I can perform.
  • Front Squats went decent. I wanted 500x3 but had to settle with 455. I may have had the 500 if I didn’t wear myself out with yokes before hand.

Here is a video of the 455x3 Set
https://www.instagram.com/p/BK6Y-a5D_W1/?taken-by=neversate

1 Like

Besides your consistent, impressive lifting in your videos, your attitude undoubtedly influences a lot of lifters. Keep the videos coming.

1 Like

Brilliant video on the hand care. I never thought about the little scissors, I’ve just been trying to pumice my calluses all the way down which takes awhile. I’ll have to meditate on whether or not I’m an idiot though first because last time I tried to cut my hair with scissors I chopped of the top of my knuckle haha!

Also the conditioning video was great. I hope some people truly heard the message. We all as a country and people could use a little more mental and physical strength.

@biker Man, i really appreciate that! It is a lot of work so knowing that they are helping people definitely make it worth it!

@Roran Thank you so much brother, that means a lot and I totally agree with you about our country needing an attitude adjustment. Some of the best people in the world live here but there are a lot of people who like to play the victim just a little bit too much. And that is awesome about your hair. i actually just started cutting my own myself…Hahaha it has been…interesting…

=====================================================
New Youtube Video about Hand Care for Powerlifters, Strongmen & Weightlifters. Stop tearing Caluses and learn how to fix them when you do.

2 Likes

The volume of food you must it is insane to recover from your training, any tips on what you are doing for recovery?

Just to do a plug, Alpha already made a video on nutrition very recently

I saw the nutrition, I was more so wondering supps and the sleep. The video
for that was excellent btw.

Well, your Ridiculously impressive with Just about everything as usual.

I’ll be honest, I loved your rant on the conditioning Video. I am in absolute awe of your strength and conditioning, but what I really have the most respect for is the Mentality and Work Ethic that you preach. I feel like A lot of people are missing that aspect these days, which makes me respect the hell outta guy you like and T3hPwnisher who still have that command of themself.

Ever listened to any of Jocko Willink’s stuff? Pretty top notch, no pulled punches and very motivational. Heard this bit the other day, thought it was pretty good.

@puff90 Well for recovery I am big on Contrast showers and active rest days. So even on my “off” days i am still hitting some light conditioning or hiking or something. If I don’t break a sweat during the day at some point, i feel like i’ve wasted it. Other than that, i would say sleep is the most important thing for recovery…But i don’t get much of that. But i make sure I stay “down” at least 8 hours a night. As far as supplements go, I only take protein, fish oil and creatine malate before workouts. I hope that helps brother!

@T3hPwnisher Thanks brother!

@atlas13 Thanks brother! And yea man, i read Jocko’s book when it first came out, it is really good and I have listened to his podcast as well as him on the Joe Rogan and Tim Ferriss Posdasts. Really good dude.

“Don’t be afraid to go the extra mile, there isn’t much traffic on that road” - Unknown

FRIDAY, 30SEPTEMBER2016 - Work For Today

STRENGTH - Giant Sets
5 Bent Over Rows: 225, 315, 365, 385, 405, 415
5 Bench Presses: 225, 315, 365, 385, 405, 415
30 Hollow Rocks

STRONGMAN - Then i spent the next 20 Minutes or so working up on Atlas Stones because I wanted to give the Brand new stone a ride to see if I could get it.
185x a few
235 for a few
260x2
300x2
350x1
385x1 (PR!)
385x1
385x1
385x1
385xNope…Got it to the bar but i set up too far away and it was on the down swing when I hit it…

CONDITIONING - 10 Rounds
At the Top of Every Minute
5 Burpees
5 Squats
5 Push-Ups
20 Mountain Climbers

NOTES:

• I was definitely fried from all of the yoke walks and front squats on wednesday. I could tell when I got to the 300lb stone that I wasn’t explosive today…But i went for it anyway and it turned out good enough for a PR on the Stones.
  • It was actually funny because I was taping the first rep of it for instagram and my memory filled up on my phone DURING the rep so i didn’t get it. It was my best rep out of all of them, but I went for it a few more times, so i got some footage of it.

Here is a quick vid of this decent sized stone
https://www.instagram.com/p/BK_c7s5j27s/?taken-by=neversate

2 Likes

i’ve been watching your videos for a couple of months now(found this forum because you mentioned it somewhere ), and i wanted to say your content is great and you have a great personality so keep it up!

1 Like

Hey alpha, just thought you’d like to know that you’re being talked about in some other forums I occasionally visit. All good things, and lots of guys are talking about you from the Alan thrall videos.

@mfoglia Thanks so much for saying so brother, I really appreciate it!

@Tim_Tom Thanks for letting me now man, I hope they are all good things! I know you can’t say, but I would be very interested in where it is getting thrown around

“If the people knew how hard I had to work to gain my mastery, it wouldn’t seem wonderful at all.” --Michelangelo

MONDAY, 03OCTOBER2016 - Work For Today

CONDITIONING - 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 Reps of
Power Cleans
Push-Ups x2

STRONGMAN - Banded Axle Deadlifts from National’s Height
135 + 270Lbs of Band Tension x 3
225 + 270Lbs of Band Tension x 3
315 + 270Lbs of Band Tension x 3
405 + 270Lbs of Band Tension x 3
500 + 270Lbs of Band Tension x 2 (Very Heavy)
550 + 270Lbs of Band Tension x 1 (Very Heavy-er)

ASSISTANCE - 4 Rounds
6 SSB Good Mornings @ 270lbs
10 Glute Ham Raises

WEIGHT CUT - Spent 30-40 Minutes Hiking with a 50lb Weight Vest on

NOTES:

• That Banded Deadlift is actually a PR. I have pulled 530 from the floor but I am actually stronger from the floor than I am from this Nationals Height because it starts right where my sticking point is. If I did my Math correct (Which i usually don’t) then that would put me at 820 at the top of the pull. I’m ok with that.
  • It was my last heavy deadlift day before Nationals. there will be some technique work, but the hay is in the barn. Either I have it or I don’t.

I should have the weekly training Vlog showing all of this up sometime tomorrow

1 Like

I’ve sent you a link I just hope the moderators don’t take it off. If they do I’ll email you.

How has the transition been for you from military life to civilian? I think a lot of guys struggle, but I know you’re busy with strongman and neversate. I’m asking because ive seen a lot of people doing the 22 push up challenge and wanted to get your take on it all.

@Tim_Tom Wow, that is pretty cool stuff man, i really appreciate you showing me that! And From what i have seen of the 22 Push-Up stuff, i think it is great and it raises awareness…Many more people know about veteran suicide now than they did 6 months ago, but I just wonder how many of those people actually make the jump over to actually helping someone rather than just doing the push-ups. That said, i have a video of me doing 405x22 on an SSB bar for the same reason…

Doing 20 reps with about 120lbs nearly kills me. Ive a long way to go. Glad you could check out the link, always nice to have people appreciate what you’re about.

@Tim_Tom Yea man, i caught it before it was taken down, I really appreciate you sharing it!

For those of you interested, here is this weeks training VLOG with the Stone PR, a Banded Deadlift PR and a medical update.

2 Likes