Alpha V

raven78: Thanks brother, i really appreciate that! Email about the shirt and we will see what we can work out! Thanks for the support man!

Regev: Thanks man, glad to have you along! Well, I have a lot of tips for being away for a month, but I’m not completely sure what you are asking. Do you mean training wise? Diet? workouts? Let me know more info and I’ll give you what ever advice I can man!

Roran: That is totally cool with me man! Just let me know when you are thinking and we will work it out! And that sucks about the gym but I can totally see how that is not going to work out for you long term. Just let me know about the visit man, we would love to have you!

Vinny: Hahaha thanks man and that is an EXCELLENT way to describe the feeling of a max yoke. Few things can slow down time like that. You have been doing great with your workouts man and i love reading your log.

==================================================
“Never surrender your hopes and dreams to the fateful limitations others have placed on their own lives. The vision of your true destiny does not reside within the blinkered outlook of the naysayers and the doom prophets. Judge not by their words, but accept advice based on the evidence of actual results. Do not be surprised should you find a complete absence of anything mystical or miraculous in the manifested reality of those who are so eager to advise you. Friends and family who suffer the lack of abundance, joy, love, fulfillment and prosperity in their own lives really have no business imposing their self-limiting beliefs on your reality experience.” --Anton St. Maarten

FRIDAY, 11DECEMBER2015 - Work For Today
Wave 1/Week 3/Day 5

STRENGTH - Dynamic Effort Lower
At the top of every minute for 10 Minutes
2 SSB Paused Box Squats @ 250 + 300lbs of Band Tension
6 Squat Jumps holding a 50lb medicine ball

Then At the top of Every Minute for 10 Minutes
1 Deficit Deadlift @ 385lbs + 200lbs of Band Tension

ACCESSORY - 4 Rounds
12 Reverse Hypers @ 270lbs
12 Band Standing Ab
5 Deficit Paused Deadlifts @ 365lbs

NOTES:

• Putting work in. Dynamic days are never as fun for me as maximum effort days, but if they make me better than I’ll do them. I think the work with bands is definitely helping with my speed in both my squat and my deadlift. No doubt in my mind that these workouts are doing their job, I’m just excited to see where I end up after my first wave is done…Really hoping I see that 700lb pull and a 675lb squat. I know I have the strength for both of those and a bench that is a little higher than 500, but I need to get my speed and technique down.

-I have a few friends competing in a Strongman Show tomorrow in PA. I am planning on heading up there to help cheer them on. If you are reading this and will be there, make sure you come up and say hi, I love meeting people from these forums.

One heck of accessories giant set, my abs would’ve been sore for weeks.
And I ment tips mostly regarding mentality, I’ve never been away from home for more than a week.

That last log went quickly. Good to see you back mate. I’ll be following this one. Excited to see where it goes.

You looked like a beast on that front squat. Can’t wait to see you do 600 :stuck_out_tongue:

Incidentally, are you one of those guys who measures progress purely by weight lifted? Or do you go by feel as well? What I mean is, if you lift more weight than you ever have before but it’s slow and ugly and you nearly black out doing it, but then you hit it again a few weeks later and it feels light and technically solid, does that second time make you feel the same way the first PR did?

I ask because as a beginner I was extremely pig headed about adding weight to the bar - either I lifted more than I did last time or the session was a waste. Fortunately I came to my senses before I did myself an injury. Now I almost get more satisfaction out of making a heavy weight feel light than I do from just grinding out a heavy single any way I can. I guess because I’m not a powerlifter (or similar) the absolute numbers are less important to me. What I’m trying to do is make myself faster and more explosive, so I set my priorities accordingly. I’m interested to hear what you have to say on that subject.

Back on the mats! Thinking about entering my first grappling tournament on January 23rd down in Columbia. Hope all is well.

Regev: Well Brother, having spent a Ton of time, holiday’s, birthday’s and other big life events away from home then best tip I can give you is to focus hard on the job you are trying to accomplish. If your mind is always on home you are going to do a bad job on the task at hand. Use it as a driving force to get you through the hard, lonely times, but for the most part try to stay 100% present on where you are at the time. If you are really getting homesick, start breaking the days down into more manageable parts. So rather than thinking, “it will be 9 months until i am home again” just try to get through the next day or even to the next meal. Staying focused like this on your current task will usually help a lot and make you do a better job while you are there. For the most part though, the beginning and holidays are the hardest. You will be surprised at how quickly you will adapt. i hope that helps out some brother!

The Wolfman: Thanks brother! Well, we will see if I can get to 550 on the front squat first, then we will talk about 600!

As far as your question…Well, i can only give my opinion and feelings on the subject, but for me, it is all about the first time I get a certain weight. That 510 wasn’t clean, so i hesitate to call it a PR. But now that I have touched that weight, it WILL go easier the next time. Every time I get it after the first time my brain just thinks “well that makes sense, you have gotten it before.” Of course I am happy that it was cleaner, but for me, nothing beats the first time I actually complete the lift.

When you were talking about feeling like you always have to better that last lift…I think switching to more percentage based programs vs. basic lateral progression really helped me with that. If i went in this upcoming week and went for 520 on the front squat, I can tell you it wouldn’t go well. But since i am following different programming, I know I will have 10-12 weeks of other work before i get a shot to beat it again. That is a few months to gain technique and strength where i am focused on different rep ranges, so i can relax and stop thinking about that 1RM and instead focus on my reps and speed. If I put the time and work in, by the time the next PR attempt rolls around, it will be there. If not then it won’t. It really takes a lot of the feeling you were talking about out of the equation.

That is how it works for me at this stage at least. I hope that helps man and thanks for asking!

BJack: That is awesome man! I actually started rolling again too! We are even laying out the mats at my gym now and hitting it on the weekends. Next time you are up we will have to get a roll in. Definitely let me know if you decide to compete, I’d like to come watch and help you out any way I can brother!

===================================================
“You are essentially who you create yourself to be and all that occurs in your life is the result of your own making…The discontent and frustration that you feel is entirely your own creation.” --Stephen Richards

“It’s not what you say out of your mouth that determines your life, it’s what you whisper to yourself that has the most power.” --Robert T. Kiosaki

SUNDAY, 12DECEMBER2015 - Work For Today
Wave 2/Week 6/Day 6

CONDITIONING
10 Single Arm Kettblebell Swings (Left Side)
10 Single Arm Kettlebell Snatches (Left Side)
50 Double Unders
10 Single Arm Kettblebell Swings (Right Side)
10 Single Arm Kettlebell Snatches (Right Side)
10 MMA Get-Ups

8 Single Arm Kettblebell Swings (Left Side)
8 Single Arm Kettlebell Snatches (Left Side)
40 Double Unders
8 Single Arm Kettblebell Swings (Right Side)
8 Single Arm Kettlebell Snatches (Right Side)
8 MMA Get-Ups

6 Single Arm Kettblebell Swings (Left Side)
6 Single Arm Kettlebell Snatches (Left Side)
30 Double Unders
6 Single Arm Kettblebell Swings (Right Side)
6 Single Arm Kettlebell Snatches (Right Side)
6 MMA Get-Ups

4 Single Arm Kettblebell Swings (Left Side)
4 Single Arm Kettlebell Snatches (Left Side)
20 Double Unders
4 Single Arm Kettblebell Swings (Right Side)
4 Single Arm Kettlebell Snatches (Right Side)
4 MMA Get-Ups

10 Single Arm Kettblebell Swings (Left Side)
10 Single Arm Kettlebell Snatches (Left Side)
50 Double Unders
10 Single Arm Kettblebell Swings (Right Side)
10 Single Arm Kettlebell Snatches (Right Side)
10 MMA Get-Ups

STRENGTH - Dynamic Effort Upper
At the top of Every Minute for 10 Minutes
3 Bench Presses @ 205lbs + Doubled blue mini bands

ACCESSORY - 4 Rounds
20 Pull-Ups
20 Handstand Push-Ups
20 Hollow Rocks

NOTES:

• Speed seems to be getting faster and faster so that is good. Today was more about conditioning than anything. I’m just excited for tomorrow when i can get back to maximum effort again.

==========================================
“There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; True nobility is being superior to your former self.” --Ernest Hemingway

“Always dream and shoot higher than you know you can do. Do not bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself.” --William Faulkner

MONDAY, 14DECEMBER2015 - Work For Today
Wave 3/Week 7/Day 1

STRENGTH - Maximum Effort Lower
Farmer’s Handle Deadlifts
270x3
370x2
450x1
500x1
630x1
680x1
730x1
800xSo, So Close. Got it 3/4 of the way up and it slipped out of my left hand
800xexact same thing…Really frustrating…

The dropped the Weight to 600lbs…
600x5
10 Hanging leg Raises
600x5
10 Hanging leg Raises
600x5
10 Hanging leg Raises

STRONGMAN ASSISTANCE - 3 Rounds
50 Foot Keg Carry @ 210lbs
150 foot Farmer’s Walk @ 230 in each hand (460 total)

The 3 Rounds of
12 Glute Ham Raises with a red mini band around neck
12 Hanging Leg Raises

NOTES:

• I cannot be too upset with the 800 failures. The past couple of times I have tried doing it I couldn’t even break the weight from the ground. this time (although it didn’t fly off the floor) I had good speed for both reps but my left hand just would not hold onto the weight. It is a 400lb deadlift in each hand, but my grip usually isn’t a factor. I am going to have to dedicate some more time to direct grip work.
  • Everything else went well. I got some footage of the failures as well as some of the medley, so maybe i will upload them if I am able to do something of note tomorrow or later this week.

Thanks for reading everyone!

So glad you have started a new log man. I’ll still be following this one as much as the last one.

On the conditioning what kind of weight do you use for the KB stuff?

IronWarrior: Thanks brother, I’m really glad you are reading. As far as the kettlebells, it depends on what movement I am doing. For swings it is between 88-150lbs. For Snatches is is usually 70 or 88lbs depending on the number of reps. I don’t usually drop below the 70 pounds very often, though. Thanks for asking man!

===============================================
“Fortune favors the brave.” --Terence

TUESDAY, 15DECEMBER2015 - Work For Today
Wave 3/Week 7/Day 2

STRENGTH - Maximum Effort Upper
Floor Presses
135x3
225x3
315x3
365x3
405x2
455x1
475x1 (Vid) PR
485x1 (Vid) Bigger PR

• Was performing 10 Dragon Flags Between Attempts

BACK OFF SETS - 3 Rounds
5 Floor Preses @ 375lbs
10 Dragon Flags

ASSISTENCE
20 Dumbbell Bench Presses (Neutral Grip) @ 80lbs
20 Dips
10 Dragon Flags
15 Dumbbell Bench Presses (Neutral Grip) @ 80lbs
15 Dips
10 Dragon Flags
12 Dumbbell Bench Presses (Neutral Grip) @ 80lbs
12 Dips
10 Dragon Flags

Then 3 Rounds of
15 Banded Tricep Push-Downs (blue & red mini bands)
15 Face Pulls )blue and red mini bands)

• This is the first time i have gone heavy on floor presses in my life I think. i am really liking the conjugate method and trying to find new maxes on different lifts. I can already tell a difference in my big 3.
  • the 475 floor was a little slow but I knew I had more in me. Nick (Mike Jenkins brother, has been a friend for a long time and he was spotting me) After the 475 I asked him if he thought I had 500 in me. He basically said, “no. You should go for 485”. I am glad he did because it ended up being a pretty big grinder and i definitely would have missed the 500.
  • Lots of assistance work today. My arms actually felt like a bodybuilder’s after this. Hopefully it leads to bigger bench and OHP numbers.

Here is a video of the 475 & 485 floor presses as well as the (barely) missed 800 farmer’s handle deadlift and some medley work from yesterday. Nick, Billy and I will be hitting some horrible Strongman Medleys tomorrow. They are both like 6’4" and huge. It is rare that I am the smallest guy in a training group. It is going to suck but I am excited.

I saw a conditioning challenge you might like. I need to find a good hill near me before I can give it a go…

10 KB Squats
Hill Sprint
10 KB Swings
Walk back down
repeat 5-10 times

The catch is you can’t put the kettlebell down until you are done for the day.

The feel of your new log is very nice, even better than the former. The former log seems like steady progress, but getting a bit in a slur (not unexciting tho!) in comparision to this one. Getting a awesome crew going, as if expanding the pond. New methods, which seem like they are going great. And I’m digging the high rep assistance!

Just as a quick question: I’m getting more in the Ido Portal stuff lately (the new guru of Mcgregor so it seems). What he says is alike of Max Shanks work. One tantrum of him is “the hips crave intensity, the spine craves mobility, the scalpula crave variety”. Any thoughts on this? Maybe some ideas about bodyweight training for bigger athletes. Much appreciated as always!

Roran: Love t! Definitely stealing that one!

Pano: Thanks for the kind words about the new log man, I hope I can keep it interesting! As far as the quote you referenced, well, I am unfamiliar with he context in which he was speaking about but going off the quote itself, I would have to agree. I think the scapula is one of the most advanced areas of the body and in order for it to stay healthy and working the way it is designed, then it needs to be worked and attacked from as many different angles and varieties as possible. Everyone these days has a jacked up and stiff spines due to our sedentary lifestyles and spending 90% of our time hunched over driving, texting, typing and watching tv. Kelly Starett preaches about this all of the time and is huge advocate of stand-up desks, relaxing on the floor and going barefoot. As far as hips craving intensity, i completely agree. It is a rare day that i do not work my hips in a dynamic fashion in the gym. Weighted carries, stone/keg/sandbag loading, cleans, deads, squats…I use my hips explosively virtually every single training session and they never seem to be the beat up part of my body. But again, they are being attacked from numerous different angles and the load varies each day.

If you are trying to combine the quote you mentioned and applying it to bodyweight exercises for larger human beings, I’d advise many forms of animal walks, ring work and climbing exercises. When it comes to fighting, i think it is important to attempt to fight like a smaller man. A lot of big guys throw out lots of movements and exercises because they say they are “too big” to use them. I think that is an excuse for being lazy and unwilling to get over their egos. Big guys like to rely on the fact that they are bigger than most of their opponents and they think that fact alone will be enough to save them. And it might in the majority of cases. But what happens when they run into someone just as big and strong but much more agile and fast? You always have to assume that you will come up against someone badder than you and train like it. If you don’t you will be very sorry when that day comes. In the gym it may only be your ego that gets bruised, but in fighting, you many never be able to walk without a limp again or you may end up with permanent brain damage.

Think about animals. Gorillas are massive primates, yet they are super athletic and can swing from limb to limb with grace. How many pull-ups can a heavyweight powerlifter or bodybuilder do? Not many. Not because they are unable, but because they didn’t feel the need to train those things, so they ditched them. Anyway man, i am not sure if I answered your question or not, but those are my initial thoughts on what you wrote. Thanks for asking brother!

==============================================
“No, some people would rather not see it, but the bull is there for all of us. Some of us choose to pass the cape in front of its horns. To live life is to risk it. And when you feel the rush of air and catch the stink of hot breath in your face, you enter the secret order of those that have seen their own death close up. It make us live that much more intensely. So intense is it for some that it seals their fate; once they’ve tasted it, they just can’t stop. And in their cases, perhaps we have to accept that the light that burns brightest, burns half as long.” --Laurence Gonzales

WEDNESDAY, 16DECEMBER2015 - Work For Today
Wave 3/Week 7/Day 3

STRONGMAN STUFF

5 Rounds of the following Medley:
4 Tire flips (700lb Tire)
50 Foot Zercher yoke carry @ 450lbs

100 Foot Atlas Stone Carry (Bear hug)
142lbs

Single Arm Axle Dumbbell Rows
95x8 Each Side
115x8 Each Side
135x8 Each Side

NOTES:

• The medley was not much fun at all!

• The Atlas Stone Carry was not much fun at all!

• The Axle Dumbbell Rows were not much fun at all!

• Well last night I pulled the trigger on my next contest. It is a platinum Plus Show on May 27th & 28th. The winner of the 231 weight class gets their pro card. It is a brutal, heavy contest and a lot of the top guys from around the nation will be showing up, but I am going to give it my best shot and see where I fall. I am excited for it! All the more reason to amp up my training.

• Also tomorrow the newspaper is coming out to my gym to interview my for a story about my success in Strongman. We are doing a photo shoot and hopefully it will drum up some more business. Pretty cool things going on.

Don’t worry, the reply was more than legit. Movement (and cardio for that matter) are also very important for big men. Now I’m thinking about it, most heavyweights don’t bulk all the way up to 265. And if they do, it barely gets them to the top. Most elite guys are bellow 250. Or if you’re heavyweight kickboxing champion Rico Verhoeven, you are a ninja at 255.

I really hope the interview helps the gym. You deserve the attention at least!

Excited that you signed up on this upcoming comp! support for you will as always be there! Good stuff as always man!

Pano: Thanks brother, and I completely agree. And thank you for the encouragement about the interview. The story is supposed to run on the front page of the sports section this Tuesday. Hopefully it paints me and my gym in a favorable light!

glades: Thanks brother! I really appreciate that! I am going to train hard and hopefully it goes well!

===========================================

Well, I just got back in town from a wedding this weekend. No time for working out unless you want to consider dancing like a fool and laughing a lot as conditioning!

I did hit my lower body dynamic Friday morning before I left and then had to do a bunch of strongman stuff during a photo shoot, but nothing really work logging. Ready to hit it hard tomorrow!

Hey Alpha, been a bit since I’ve had time to post. But following nonetheless. First, congrats on the MSM win. Nice come from behind victory. Your intensity on the vids is phenomenal. Giving us a glimpse into what it takes is priceless, we are all inspired. In regards to the circus db; why do you think it keeps drifting behind you? I know you spoke about working on balance, but you seem more balanced than most already. I see you worked on your jerk technique, I thought that may have something to do with it. Any updates on that?

I see you picked your next comp. I was eager to see how you’d fare against the bigger guys, but that’ll have to wait I suppose.
As far as your goals by the end of the log, what makes you feel the front squat has so much more potential for improvement? Is it because you didn’t do it as much historically?
I see you’re rolling again, in the past this has helped you stay loose. Still feeling that vibe, or to early to tell?
Congrats on the prs already, off to a great start, keep it up. Thanks in advance for your response, you’re the man.

Looking forward to seeing your performance at the Platinum level dude. You’ve definitely got the stuff to go pro.

Betabill: Firstly, thanks for the kind words brother! As far as the Circus Dumbbell. Honestly, i just haven’t practiced it enough. It is probably my least favorite strongman event and although it is a necessary evil, I don’t work it the way I should. Balance is not really the issue, it is the path in which I am pressing it. You know how much harder a squat feels when you are out of the groove? Well, that is the majority of circus dumbbell presses for me. I just need to dedicate more time to it so that the reps don’t feel different every time. It will be there soon…

Concerning the front squat. Well, to be honest, 550lbs is not very hard for my legs to handle. If you check out the vid below you will see me hit it for 10 with back squats. The issue is my core stability which I have been hammering and it is really working. i figure once I get that all figured out, my front squat is just going to keep climbing. I read a post by Dave Tate recently where he was asking Louie Simmons why he couldn’t squat 900lbs or something crazy. Louie’s response (I am paraphrasing here) was that he had the legs and upper back strength to do it, but his core wasn’t strong enough yet. I feel like I am in the same boat. I am addressing all of my weak points for the first time in my training life and it is paying off dividends. That is why you are seeing so many PRs of late.

And rolling is going great. It definitely does help me stay looser but it also teaches me to mobilize what needs mobilizing and stabilizing, plus it hardens my mind. It does nothing but goos things for me and I really need to keep it part of my life from here on out.

Thanks for your questions brother, I like answering them.

Pwnisher: That means so much coming from you brother! And I really hope you are right, that would be a dream!

================================================
“Most power lifters share some common defects, as a whole for whatever reason. We LOVE to punish, beat and torture ourselves beyond the limits of mind and body. It is our spirit that prevails. This defect of intelligence and sensibility pushes us onto the next level… makes us better and stronger. We all have lifted sick and badly hurt. When this subject comes up with normal people and other meatheads, we all have the prideful smile when we talk about lifting with a 100 degree temperature or a torn groin. Thank God that therapy doesn’t work on us.” --Kirk Karwoski

MONDAY, 21DECEMBER2015 - Work For Today
Wave 3/Week 8/Day 1

MORNING WORKOUT
CONDITIONING
3 Minutes Max Reps Keg Clean & Press
3 Minutes Bear Walk/Plank
2 Minutes Max Reps Keg Clean & Press
2 Minutes Bear Walk/Plank
1 Minute Max Reps Keg Clean & Press
1 Minutes Bear Walk
***Bear walk for the entirety of the time if possible. If you need to rest, do so in the plank position.

AFTERNOON WORKOUT

STRENGTH - Maximum Effort Lower
3 count Pause Squats
135lbs
635 (PR VID)

Then, because I was feeling pretty good, i loaded the bar to 675lbs and went for a regular free squat. The depth was a touch high, but it was the first time I have every had 7 Plates each side on the squat. The speed was good and I know I still would have gotten it another inch or 2 lower, so i am counting it! (PR and also in the vid)

Then i was supposed to drop to 80% which would have been 540. I loaded 550 and just decided to rep it out. I ended up getting 10. Again, they were a little high, but my energy was waining at this point…(that’s also in the video)

ASSISTANCE - 3 Rounds
12 Banded Glute Ham Raises
12 Good Mornings @ 225lbs
12 Standing Banded Ab Sit-ups

NOTES:

• I am stoked about the 675b squat. 7 plates a side has been something I have wanted to do for a while now. And to be honest, it really didn’t even feel that bad. If I could do it again, of course I would have dropped another inch or 2 deeper, but you live and learn. I’ll take it for now as a PR. Speed was great.
  • I actually completed the Pause squats first on my way up and 635 went better than expected, so I just decided to see what 40 more pounds would do to me.
  • Conditioning in the morning was rough, as it usually is.
  • and i was shot after the 550x10 so the assistance was just getting work done. I KNOW I got stronger today. This makes me happy.
  • BJack from the forums made an appearance at the gym today and worked his butt off. Great to see you brother and thanks for the moral support on all of that squatting nonsense. Miss you being around man, next time we are getting a roll in!

Here is the video of today’s craziness
635 Paused Squat, 675 regular squat, 250 Atlas Stone carry for 100 feet and the 550x10 squat set. Done.
675lb Squat, 635lb Pause Squat, 550x10 - YouTube

Nice squats!

If you ever want to compete in powerlifting, I think widening your stance slightly and / or developing a more dynamic rebound out of the bottom would probably sure up the depth. The strength is certainly there, and impressive speed on the concentric too.

halcj: Thanks brother! I really appreciate the kind words and the advice! I’ll give it a try.

=================================================
“It wasn’t until my late twenties that I learned that by working out I had given myself a great gift. I learned that nothing good comes without work and a certain amount of pain. When I finish a set that leaves me shaking, I know more about myself. When something gets bad, I know it can’t be as bad as that workout.” --Henry Rollins

TUESDAY, 22DECEMBER2015 - Work For Today
Wave 3/Week 8/Day 2

STRONGMAN CONDITIONING
At the Top of Every Minute for 10 Minutes Completed
3 Log Cleans @ 245lbs

STRENGTH - Axle Strict Press
135x3
185x3
205x3
225x2
245x2
275x1
Did 7 Standing ab wheel Roll-outs between Sets

BACK-OFF Sets
Dropped the weight down to 80% (225lbs) and did 3 Rounds of
5 Strict Axle Presses @ 225
10 Standing Ab Wheel Roll-outs

ASSISTANCE
10 Axle Z Presses @ 135lbs
10 Axle Seal Rows @ 135lbs
9 Axle Z Presses @ 135lbs
9 Axle Seal Rows @ 135lbs
8 Axle Z Presses @ 135lbs
8 Axle Seal Rows @ 135lbs
then completed the 7, 6, 5, 4, 3 rounds

4 Rounds
Banded Tricep Push-Downs
Banded Face Pulls

NOTES:

• I was shot from yesterday’s Squat PRs. Like done.
  • Got the work done though, so that is good.
  • Tomorrow is a lot of medleys and Strongman Stuff.

Alpha dude! Great squat pr, it didn’t even look like a max effort! Also dude how did the interview go? And if you dont get your pro card on this next comp I’m going shot you with an elephant tranquilizer, beat you with a stick then flee for my life to another country!