T Nation

Alopecia Barbae

2 weeks before Christmas I started noticing a few white hairs on my beard near my chin, by Christmas the spot grew to the size of a quarter and by New Years I had another spot on almost the exact same spot on the other side of my face. A couple days after new years I was going to see a dermatologist about an unrelated(at least I thought) health issue with my hands and feet. He told me that I had alopecia barbae and there was nothing I could do about it, eventually the spots would grow hair back. White first, then would return to my normal color of dark brown.

In the beginning of February I had seen another dermatologist the for original issues and he addressed the AB also. By this time there were 3 more patches on my neck and overall my beard was noticeably thinner. He told me that it would take about 6 months to grow back but there was some extensive cream I could use if I wanted. I opted out with the hopes that it would come back in the expected time.

To this date it still has not recovered. Regarding the spots on my face -the right side has grown to about the size of a half dollar, there is some white hair in the area but nothing substantial and nothing of color. -the left side has also grown in length, but the white hair has grown in about 3/4 of the way, yet still no color. And the ones on my neck are still completely bald, with on of them also growing in size.

The dermatologist put me on 2 creams Protopic and Fluocinonide. I’ve been using them for about 3 weeks now with no change other than some irritation from the cream. That coupled with the fact that I just learned that with those creams I’m not supposed to be out in the sun, and because I work outside, unfortunately I don’t think I’ll be able to use them.

So I’m wondering if anyone knows of any natural ways of fixing alopecia barbae. I’m in desperate need of sometime of remedy other then a cream that’s going to require me to change careers.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

Change careers or shave off beard… Hmmmmmm

[quote]gregron wrote:
Change careers or shave off beard… Hmmmmmm[/quote]

I would end all life on this planet before I even considered shaving mine

[quote]gregron wrote:
Change careers or shave off beard… Hmmmmmm[/quote]

The beard is shaved. Shaving it doesn’t make the patches come back though. I’m looking for a solution as it seems to be getting worse.

a van dyke?

I totally read the title wrong.

[quote]thethirdruffian wrote:
I totally read the title wrong.[/quote]

You and me both. LMAO

I have been dealing with this myself for over a year now. It is tought to get straight answers as everything seems to be relatively unknown. As far as I can put together and this is by no means proven:

Alopecia is a genetic factor brought on by a “trigger”, usually environment or stress.
It is an immune system disfunction and the body usually resets, but it could take awhile if it ever does reset.
White hair indicates that the follicles are ok and is a good sign.

I was given shots and they helped restart hair growth, it was Kenalog Injection generic name Triamcinolone. Hair started to grow back after about 4 weeks, but I am still dealing with it. There are potential side effects especially on the face but I just went with low dose and haven’t had any adverse effects yet. I have heard that Rogaine works as well if you are looking for something OTC but I have not tried it.
Best of luck.

I have alopecia barbae and alopecia areata for about 2 or 3 years now. Same thing, started out as tiny dots on the face and scalp that have grown to around the size of a quarter or so. The ones in my facial hair haven’t grown back but the ones in my head have. The spots on my scalp have been mostly in the back of my head but I have one now that’s in my hairline near my sideburn.

Originally I went through a round of cortisone shots which I DO NOT RECOMMEND. They literally stab the bald spots what seemed like 30 times each with a syringe. They wanted me to continue for 3 months in a row but I never rescheduled. I saw slight regrowth after, but nothing worth paying 2-300 dollars per treatment and dealing with that garbage. All of the creams or injections you’ll get will have side effects that will damage your skin or give you a big red spot.

Some things you can try and have worked for some are:
-Try to identify any highly inflammatory foods in the diet and eliminate them. Weed out any food sensitivities you may have.
-Try essential oils like tea tree
-reduce stress

None of those worked for me except arguably reducing stress.

What has worked best for me has been to stop caring about it, at all. There isn’t any use getting worked up about it and I don’t think it’s a big enough deal to damage my health with steroid creams and injections. I hid the spots on my scalp by keeping my hair longer but now I just cut it short. It’s one of those things that you notice way more than other people. Since I have it, I actually notice it quite a bit on other people now.

tl;dr

Reduce stress and stop worrying about it. It might go away, it might not.

Rogaine also did nothing for me.

Here’s a thread I made about mine a long time ago.

Both my wife and brother had it. My wife’s was due to stress she was under, home stuff and work that was going on. She lost some patches of hair about the size of a nickel just above the neck line. My brother had a spot on his face that wouldn’t grow hair, also stress induced. In both cases it went away fairly quickly.

I’m no historian, but wasn’t Alopecia Klaus’s younger sister?

I thought the big deal was about the hairline… I am confused now.

have it in my beard, reduce stress, food allergies, and make sure youre getting all of your micros/nutrients along with taking a digestive aid like probiotics or glutamine, hairs grow back white and fill in the spots if you take care of yourself.