T Nation

Almost No Soreness After Biceps Workout

I do somewhere around 10 sets for biceps once a week and they are almost never sore the day after.

Just to give you guys some background information:
Started working out Fall 2009 a few months before 2010.
Just came off of a cut diet.
New program is like this: Monday - Chest Tuesday - Back Wednesday - Legs, Calves Thursday - Shoulders, Traps, Abs Friday - Arms

I hit arms yesterday and I barely feel sore. I feel like I could easily hit Biceps on Tuesday as I would feel fully recovered tomorrow. Should I hit biceps twice a week? What has worked for some people here? I feel like my biceps could be bigger and I feel like they are lagging a bit. What should I be considering??

Feeling sore doesn’t necessarily equal making gains. You are really only supposed to be sore the first few workouts of a new training program and if you change things up a bit because your body isn’t used to it yet.

That being said, how long have you been doing the exercises you’re using for your biceps now? It could be time to change exercises, sets/reps, tempo etc…

Could be different factors, and I would say don’t worry about it as long as you’re gaining, but if you’re not, then you can consider changing the things above.

What I feel works for me is slowing the eccentric portion down or squeezing at the top of the contraction.

Biceps recover quickly. Don’t worry about it unless you’re not making progress. We don’t train to get sore, we train to get stronger.

What they^^^ said mainly.

If you aren’t getting STRONGER consistently, there’s problems. But if you can get stronger without soreness, hell, go for it. Pain is a means, not a goal.

Train to stimulate, not annihilate.

FIRST OFF, I AM IN NO WAY RESPONSIBLE FOR INJURY, NO MATTER HOW MILD OR SEVERE, THAT MAY RESULT FROM APPLICATION OF THE FOLLOWING WORK OUT ROUTINE. DO SO AT OWN RISK!!!

i had this problem also!

i finally found a piece of equipment that made my bis sore after workout.

i use the seated cybex-style arm curl machine. this one has a seat and the handles are straight down at each side of your body. i’m able to use this machine to get incredible workouts.

if that dont work, then try preacher curls.

After sufficient warm up (only you know when your ready to handle heavy weights), start with a weight that you can do for 4 reps.

rest 10-90 seconds.

increase weight for max 2 reps.

rest 10-90 seconds.

increase weight for max 1 rep.

rest 10-90 seconds.

repeat 1-rep max for 9 more sets.

after this immediatley drop weight to 70-80% and do max reps.

immediately drop weight to 60-70% and do max reps.

immediately drop weight to 50-60% and do max reps.

immediately do some “super stretching” of the biceps for a couple of mins.

(for info on super stretching, reference DoggCrapp training method and search “super stretching”)

If bis not sore, then u are superman.

CAREFUL!!! This is an extreme workout, follow advice at own PERIL!!!

Your pee might be dingy colored for a few days afterward if you really gave it a 10 effort. It means that protein was heavily broken down, and is being excreted in urine. Keep your diet up to par so that you can rebuild bigger, better, and stronger.

Good luck!!!