Almost Kicked Out of the Gym for Puking

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]Patbone wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:
I’ve never puked in the gym. I would probably complain to if someone puked in the trash can and not in the bathroom.[/quote]

For the sake of argument between the floor and a tall trash can which is better for everyone’s else viewing pleasure?[/quote]

Obviously the trash can is better in that instance, but I have a hard time believing that you couldn’t have made it to the bathroom. I guess next time just head for the locker room once you kill your last set and your head starts spinning, because now you know what’s coming.[/quote]

I’m going to spare you the details but my Gym is pretty huge. Has lots of sections and the weight room is furthest from the locker room.

I keep my mouth closed and swallow it back down.

If I chuck, which is rare, I will do it in the middle of the set, so there is no chance to find a good spot to let it out.

Besides I don’t want to waste my pre-workout nutrition.

My former gym’s squat racks weren’t that far from the locker rooms, but if I were feeling nauseous after a set of squats, depending on the severity, I don’t think I’d make it to the washroom in time.

I couldn’t see myself complaining about someone puking in a trash can…the water fountain, maybe…I guess it’d depend on if it was a regular thing or if I was feeling particularly douchey that day.

[quote]aeyogi wrote:
I keep my mouth closed and swallow it back down.

If I chuck, which is rare, I will do it in the middle of the set, so there is no chance to find a good spot to let it out.

Besides I don’t want to waste my pre-workout nutrition.

[/quote]

x2 - that was the first and last time I drank and shake with peanut butter right before training legs.

I don’t know how someone can hold back from vomiting. I mean, i’ve had burps where vomit’s come up, and I could keep my mouth closed and swallow it. But if I’m feeling nauseous, and I know I’m about to puke, there’s nothing I can do to stop it. If I try to keep my mouth closed, that shit will just erupt out of my nose. Vomit in a trash can would be a far better alternative to vomit, snot, and tears all over the squat rack.

But lets look at the etiquette of the situation. Should vomiting be tolerated at a ‘‘normal’’ gym? Because let’s face it it’s going to happen at one point or an other be it a bloated related situation or exhaustion related one. Physical exhaustion to certain degree will cause you to vomit. The other common way would be to have something not quite settled in your stomach like for exemple a pre-workout minutes before heavy deads or squats. So where do you ( fellow T-Nation members) draw the line on the issue and DOES your gym have a policy about Puking?

The whole reason I’m posting about this is that I want more opinions on the matter as to what is the norm.Because like Ronsauce and I have state there seen to be no rules directly regarding puking.

I haven’t vomited in something like nine years. I just don’t really throw up. On the other hand, I knew someone who puked every other week for some reason or another. People are just different. If I had to make a wager, I’d say the gym owner (or manager or whatever he was) is like me and just isn’t someone who vomits, but doesn’t realize it isn’t exactly the same for everyone.

As for rules regarding puking, I hardly see a need. If you have to, you have to, and if you don’t, you won’t. It’s not like people throw up for the fun of it. Well, some might, but when you have someone hurling in your gym every three days, it’s definitely time to have a talk.

I really don’t think vomiting is the norm, and as such, I don’t think there really is a need to have rules concerning it. However, it can happen, and obviously the time and place won’t always be ideal. That gym owner/manager needs to unbunch his panties.

[quote]ZuluSierraPapa wrote:
I haven’t vomited in something like nine years. I just don’t really throw up. On the other hand, I knew someone who puked every other week for some reason or another. People are just different. If I had to make a wager, I’d say the gym owner (or manager or whatever he was) is like me and just isn’t someone who vomits, but doesn’t realize it isn’t exactly the same for everyone.

As for rules regarding puking, I hardly see a need. If you have to, you have to, and if you don’t, you won’t. It’s not like people throw up for the fun of it. Well, some might, but when you have someone hurling in your gym every three days, it’s definitely time to have a talk.[/quote]

Well the gym owner actually (franchise owner too) stated that he never puked in 20 years of training not once and he use to compete. He seriously looked me in the eye and said that he didn’t understand why I puked let alone puked in his garbage can. Then of course he threatened me with banishment.Oddly enough I had a hard time swallowing that load of crap . As for puking frequency I rarely puked myself. I’ve only done so on a handful of occasion and maybe 3 times during grueling hockey and football camps. But I do agree a frequent puker does require a talk or a specific rule.

[quote]Ronsauce wrote:

I really don’t think vomiting is the norm, and as such, I don’t think there really is a need to have rules concerning it. However, it can happen, and obviously the time and place won’t always be ideal. That gym owner/manager needs to unbunch his panties.[/quote]

I kid you not this guy is a beast. A cross between the asshole stripper bar owner in Kill Bill 2 ( AKA Peewee Herman ) attitude wise and a Mexican Cartel drug dealer with mass… on the funny note he has no calves.

Iv came really close to puking a few times. one time i spent at least 5 minutes over the toilet gagging but nothing came up. Iv seen people puke at my gym and no one even cared except for the women. Id say if you puke then you clean it up…

[quote]BidDaddy52 wrote:
Iv came really close to puking a few times. one time i spent at least 5 minutes over the toilet gagging but nothing came up. Iv seen people puke at my gym and no one even cared except for the women. Id say if you puke then you clean it up…[/quote]

I totally agree with you on that part but I wasn’t faced with many options when it happened.I would of opted for throwing out the garbage bag afterward if I knew where they store the refill garbage bags but what was I suppose to do in the meantime . Where do I draw the line between my actions and the responsibility of the gym? I don’t puke on purpose
I pay to use the facilities but I am not there to refill the spray bottles or fix the clogged toilette.

Either way I fell victim to his scare tactics and apologized for my action regardless of its accidental nature. But honestly it has got me thinking into finding an other gym not because of the puking but rather the harsh and brutal reaction I got from the owner.

When did puking become hardcore…

I’ve never puked but have felt nauseous.
The OP said he apologized which is good.
Better than a thread where the guy pukes in the trash can, manager says please don’t do that and the OP says he called the guy a pussy and pushed over a stair climber or something and wants us to agree that not puking is a sign of bleeding vaginitus or something.

Ive puked twice, onece from hill sprints and the other from a squat workout.

After the squat workout I saw it coming and had plenty of time to make it to the bathroom. But after the sprint workout it came out of nowhere and I would not have made it to the washroom had I been in the gym.

Its obviously disgusting to see someone puke, but you can’t treat it like you just decided to puke, its not something you can control really.

I’ve never puked. I just don’t get nauseous. After a hardass set of deadlifts, I’m dizzy, my vision tunnels, and my hearing kinda sucks for a bit, but I don’t throw up.

That said, if that’s what happens from time to time, I wouldn’t mind being around it.

[quote]Patbone wrote:

[quote]BidDaddy52 wrote:
Iv came really close to puking a few times. one time i spent at least 5 minutes over the toilet gagging but nothing came up. Iv seen people puke at my gym and no one even cared except for the women. Id say if you puke then you clean it up…[/quote]

I totally agree with you on that part but I wasn’t faced with many options when it happened.I would of opted for throwing out the garbage bag afterward if I knew where they store the refill garbage bags but what was I suppose to do in the meantime . Where do I draw the line between my actions and the responsibility of the gym? I don’t puke on purpose
I pay to use the facilities but I am not there to refill the spray bottles or fix the clogged toilette. Either way I fell victim to his scare tactics and apologized for my action regardless of its accidental nature. But honestly it has got me thinking into finding an other gym not because of the puking but rather the harsh and brutal reaction I got from the owner.
[/quote]

You might have to deal with the fact that the owner just does not like you. I’ve been to many gyms that say no chalk, Dropping weights etc and I’ve done it all. And had no one say a word to me.
Then watch someone forget to return a dumbell and watch Mgmt go ape on them.

I have puked and seen others do it. Not often enough to make a deal out of it though.

Here are some questions I have to get a better idea of what your gym is like.

Are you a big enough guy for the gym owner to take you serious? Because sometimes Big guys have a problem with people they see as posers.

You say you have bodybuilders/Powerlifters/MMA guys at the gym but the times you go what is the majority of people there? You may be going the same time as the snooty houswife/uppercrust snobs go. And upset there delicate palates.

Are you generally on good terms with the owner. Outside of billing and puking conversations do you every talk to him?

I have never thrown up in my entire life because of a training session. I also know most people are not going to complain if they see you as seriously being sick and the situation is out of your control. If people complained, chances are it is because this came across as a one man show type of thing where you thought it was cool to throw up because it made you hard core.

It doesn’t.

I may get nauseated often from training (especially on back and legs day), but if I was literally throwing up regularly, I would think I was doing something WRONG, not right.

Little guys trying to act hard core in the gym just piss off people who are very serious about this.

This does NOT sound like some innocent out of control vomiting. This sounds like BROADWAY PRESENTS…BODYBUILDER WHO TRAINS SO HARDCORE HIS LUNCH IS ON THE FLOOR.

I puked once but managed to make it to the bathroom. I was doing some type of conditioning burpee workout.
I’m pretty sure my appendix came out that same week.
Puking in the gym floor is pretty gross, not to mention its gonna gross the onlookers, who will then start puking. Next thing you know everyone is yakin their guts out. Bad news.

OP - I wouldn’t sweat the politics of puking too much. You might want to back off on the intensity a little bit, however. Not saying be a pussy. Just know when to say when.

Vomiting is counterproductive.