T Nation

Almond Butter Online

Does anyone have a good source of relatively cheap almond butter you can order online? I came across this: http://www.amazon.com/Sunland-Almond-Butter-Natural-16-Ounce/dp/B0028MXKWI/ref=cm_cr_pr_sims_t#nutrition-facts

Any cheaper sites out there? Thanks, MD

Dude, Almond butter isn’t expensive, I get containers at Trader Joes with Ground Flax mixed in for like $3 each.

S

Yeah I love Trader Joe’s (I’m originally from NJ) but unfortunately the closest one is in Georgia. Walmart/Target/Publix have it but anywhere from $8-12 for an 8-12oz jar. That amazon link is a pack of 3, 16oz. containers. By the way Stu, I don’t post much but your info in regards to carb cycling has been super helpful.

MD

any advice on how to mix almond butter? miine (maratha brand) never seems to solidify, however i have no problem with my PB. ive been storing it upside down then when i open it up i mix the shit out of it for a while then store it in the ref. it always ends up a little runny. do you guys have same problem with almond butter compared to PB?

I usually refrigerate either almond or peanut butter which helps solidify them a bit.

I grind my own at a local store…$6/lb

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
Dude, Almond butter isn’t expensive, I get containers at Trader Joes with Ground Flax mixed in for like $3 each.

S[/quote]

Really? They sell for about $8.00 in Canada for a 500ml container. Not exactly cheap eh?

[quote]halamadrid09 wrote:
any advice on how to mix almond butter? miine (maratha brand) never seems to solidify, however i have no problem with my PB. ive been storing it upside down then when i open it up i mix the shit out of it for a while then store it in the ref. it always ends up a little runny. do you guys have same problem with almond butter compared to PB?[/quote]

With maratha i found if i just get a big spoon and mix the shit out of the jar then store it upside down in the fridge, it works out the best.

Hope that helps!

just go to costco and buy a 3-lb bag of raw almonds for $9…take 2 cups and roast in the oven at 350 for 8-10 mins, transfer to a food processor, and blend for about 3-5 mins…add a little olive oil and agave nectar per your tastes…so much cheaper. i recently did this with pecans and walnuts. you can’t beat the taste and freshness.

Costco carries almond butter for pretty cheap. I forget the size but it’s a decent size for ~5$.

[quote]zeik09 wrote:
just go to costco and buy a 3-lb bag of raw almonds for $9…take 2 cups and roast in the oven at 350 for 8-10 mins, transfer to a food processor, and blend for about 3-5 mins…add a little olive oil and agave nectar per your tastes…so much cheaper. i recently did this with pecans and walnuts. you can’t beat the taste and freshness. [/quote]

I did this today w/cashews and macadamia nut mix + cocoa powder, cinnamon, splenda…oh shit was it good…I usually buy trader joes PB+flax seeds, but I will be addind this to the cupboard aswell

[quote]JudsonFit wrote:

any advice on how to mix almond butter? miine (maratha brand) never seems to solidify, however i have no problem with my PB. ive been storing it upside down then when i open it up i mix the shit out of it for a while then store it in the ref. it always ends up a little runny. do you guys have same problem with almond butter compared to PB?[/quote]

With maratha i found if i just get a big spoon and mix the shit out of the jar then store it upside down in the fridge, it works out the best.

Hope that helps![/quote]

Does real nut butter have to be stored in the fridge? I dont like how solid it comes out so i just leave it in the cupboard and mix it.

[quote]emiliotso wrote:
I grind my own at a local store…$6/lb[/quote]

Me too but I pay $3!

Any of you guys ever try ‘Power Butter’? Its basically Natty PB with egg whites and flax mixed in. A serving (4 Tbsp) has about 360 cals, but ~30g of protein and no more carbs than regular PB. Tastes great, and mixed in with some Oatmeal and Metabolic Drive is amazing.

S

[quote]JudsonFit wrote:

Hope that helps![/quote]

this doesnt seem to work for me. ive mixed the shit out of it and stored it upside down and right side up in the ref but still runny… could be because i have creamy almond butter?

Any of you guys ever try ‘Power Butter’? Its basically Natty PB with egg whites and flax mixed in. A serving (4 Tbsp) has about 360 cals, but ~30g of protein and no more carbs than regular PB. Tastes great, and mixed in with some Oatmeal and Metabolic Drive is amazing.

S[/quote]

Stu - that sound amazing. I just looked online to try and find some sourced here in the UK and its £20-30 per 16oz jar on import! Bad times.

ugh! okay, kind of price prohibitive. I actually bought a 4lb TUB online fairly reasonably priced (my girl looked in my fridge and thought it was a bucket of paint -lol)

S

On the same note as stu’s there is also a brand called naturally more pb, has flax and added protein, delicious and you kind find it cheap (the walmart near my house carries it)

S[/quote]

I’ve heard of power butter, do you get it from NTBM?

I’ve only ordered it from bodybuilding dot com, I’m sure a lot of retail online sites carry it. I’ve actually seen it in GNCs too, but only in the smaller containers, which isn’t really much of a bargain (forgot the price for the small size)

S