Allergic to Whey Protein?

I had been bloating bad after every protein drink and didn’t feel like eating which is not good for a hardgainer. My nutritionist told me that I could be allergic to whey protein and I need to try egg protein. I need some help…what brands are good and what tastes the best. I have never had egg protein before and just now getting where I really like the taste of my whey. Any help would be great.

Hi, Shock. You have two or three choices. First, you could ask your nutritionist to have you tested for common allergies. That way you’ll know exactly what you’re up against. Second, you could try taking your protein with a digestive enzyme. Third, forget MRPs and eat real protein snacks. Hard boiled ggs, nuts, tuna and jerkey are all portable forms of protein.

Good luck, and if you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask.

Thanks for the info. I do get plenty of protein from real foods but with my career it is easier to have 3 or 4 small protein drinks pre-mixed with me each day. And with eating right comes the “protein munches” that a quick drink takes care of. I would like to try the egg protein but don’t know what the taste difference might be or what brands taste good.

Your only fooling yourself. You say you have 3 or 4 small protein drinks a day, instead of 3 or 4 “meals”. Thats why you are a “hard gainer”. It is obvious from your post you are a beginner, you need to continue to educate yourself and learn to eat food. Just 'cause there is so much talk on this forum about supp’s doesn’t mean that is the next step for you. All the big boys say it is as easy as 1)train hard 2)eat 3) rest. P.S. You have a nutritionist? What the fuck is that all about? Educate yourself and see what works for you firsthand.

One other thing to add to TT’s advice. If you’ve been taking the same type/flavor of shake for a while, it could be that your body’s just tired of it. (I believe this is termed a “cytotoxic” reaction, but someone correct me if I’m wrong.)

Often, supposed “allergies” go away if you just take a break from the food for a week or two. But you can get around the problem by adding something new to your protein shake to change the taste/texture. Try cinnamon, peanut butter, frozen fruits, whatever fits in with your current diet.

Thanks, Char-Dawg. The “give it a short break” idea was a slam-dunk.

Shock, I’d try Char-Dawg’s advice and the digestive enzymes first. That’s the past of least resistance. If that doesn’t work and if you’d like to experiment with other types of protein and protein combinations, check out proteinfactory.com. They’ll custom forumulate something for you, make recommendations on taste, etc. Just be sure to order a small amount to make sure it’s something you enjoy (or at least can stomach).

Thanks for the advise. And as for you Tinman…no I am not a beginner. I have been training for about 7 years with a few successful cycles of AS under my belt. This is just something that just started happening. I eat between 5 and 6 meals a day. The protein drinks are a supplement to the meals. Sometimes I get enough protein in my meals but I always like to make sure I am getting at least 2 grams per pound. And just for the record…5’8 185 10%. Thanks guys.

Shock - with 3 or 4 shakes a day I’m not suprised your insides have rebelled. I also like the convenience of taking a shake, but it can take its toll later on. The “take a break” idea and replacing the shakes with a variety of food protein sources works well. I also find a) chewing your shakes as you drink them (the amylase enzyme in saliva can get a chance to work on digesting protein), and b) adding a teaspoon of fiber (metamucil, psyllum husks) to your shakes slows its digestion and lets the stomach and intestines do more of its thing. You could well be a hardgainer coz what you are eating isn’t being processed properly (assuming your calories, food mix, training, any drugs, etc are all in balance). In any case, real food is still king.

Using a cheap protein shake or MRP can compound your problems. If you have not tried it, give Grow! a shot.

Thanks for the input fellow T-maggers. I think that I have been taking the same thing for so long that it is time for a change. I have no problem eating…in fact many times after I eat I am soon hungry again. I’m gonna try some new proteins and see if that works.