T Nation

Allergic to Whey; My DIY Shake

My weight has stalled again at 93kgs so I have decided to add a shake to my diet.

As my body is gay and refuses to accept whey, I have crafted it from the following:

1 cup almond milk
1 cup probiotic yoghut
1/2 cup cottage cheese
2 whole eggs
handful walnuts
Tbsp peanut butter
Tbsp ground seeds
Vanilla extract

Weighs in with approx 50g protein, 30g fat, 30g carbs (500 calories-ish) tastes good too =]

Any suggestions for alternative ingredients?

coconut milk. Trust me. Calorie dense sexy goodness

Do you ever just drink the coconut milk by itself? Also, does it come in a carton or a can?

[quote]howie424 wrote:
Do you ever just drink the coconut milk by itself? Also, does it come in a carton or a can? [/quote]

can, I add 3 scoops of protein powder. It’s all thick and delicious and lovely.

Haven’t drunk it by itself but I don’t see why not. It’s quite thick though so I’m not sure how thirst-quenching it would really be… If all you care about is calories though then go nuts.

it’s solid at room temperature

[quote]caveman101 wrote:
it’s solid at room temperature[/quote]

nuh-uh!

you’re thinking about the oil mate, the milk from a can is liquid. Sometimes the shit separates and you get a big lump at the bottom of the can which is a pain in the arse but if you shake the can and check it sounds “milky” when you buy it then that shouldn’t be an issue.

[quote]panzerfaust wrote:
As my body is gay …

Any suggestions?
[/quote]

Cannot confirm - only see the steps of doom (?) on your photos.

[quote]alin wrote:

As my body is gay …

Any suggestions?
[/quote]

Cannot confirm - only see the steps of doom (?) on your photos.[/quote]
Haha, sorry I do not have photo proof my body’s gayness. But yes, whey allergy is about the least useful thing for a trainer to have.

And to the coconut milk suggestion above, great idea! Will pick some up tonight and see how it goes.

only have a whole can of it at once if you’re trying to cut weight

[quote]browndisaster wrote:
only have a whole can of it at once if you’re trying to cut weight[/quote]
I’m trying to get fat(ter) so I assume I should have none?

I think they have beef based protein powders now… not sure how they compare to whey but I’ve heard of Carnivor that is supposed to be a pretty solid product? Haven’t tried it yet myself though.

[quote]Ghall wrote:
I think they have beef based protein powders now… not sure how they compare to whey but I’ve heard of Carnivor that is supposed to be a pretty solid product? Haven’t tried it yet myself though.[/quote]
Actually that’s a damn good suggestion. I’ve just ordered 2.5kgs of the stuff. Hope it isn’t too vile.

coconut milk has a ton of fat, I feel like having an entire can at once would lead to massive diarrhea, or at the very least a nasty shake. It is good if you’re looking for more fat in your protein shakes.

[quote]browndisaster wrote:
coconut milk has a ton of fat, I feel like having an entire can at once would lead to massive diarrhea, or at the very least a nasty shake. It is good if you’re looking for more fat in your protein shakes.[/quote]

Yeah I will consider adding some for flavour, but the almond milk is pretty good. 500-600 calories from my existing recipe is pretty solid anyway. I’m having it for breakfast on rest days and pre workout (1.5 hours before) on lifting days.

But yeah I just ordered some BEEF POWDER so I’m pretty excited about trying that. Sounds nasty as haha - chocolate flavoured cow. FML.

Have you tried casein? troll face Anyway, there is egg protein in supplement form I believe. I’ve also heard of hemp protein, but not sure how that is.

[quote]DSSG wrote:
Have you tried casein? troll face Anyway, there is egg protein in supplement form I believe. I’ve also heard of hemp protein, but not sure how that is.[/quote]

Yeah casein powder kills me too, sadly. Milk products ruin my life.
I’ve tried the egg protein and the flavour was hmm as I imagined it would be haha. But I could go back there and try it with almond milk and vanilla extract if the powdered beef doesn’t work out for me.
My custom shake will work well for extra calories, but it’d be nice to have a quick and light protein shake for post workout too.

[quote]DSSG wrote:
Have you tried casein? troll face Anyway, there is egg protein in supplement form I believe. I’ve also heard of hemp protein, but not sure how that is.[/quote]
Yeah casein powder kills me too, sadly. Milk products ruin my life.
I’ve tried the egg protein and the flavour was hmm as I imagined it would be haha. But I could go back there and try it with almond milk and vanilla extract if the powdered beef doesn’t work out for me.
My custom shake will work well for extra calories, but it’d be nice to have a quick and light protein shake for post workout too.[/quote]
:slight_smile: Will if I remember right, egg protein is second in speed to whey for absorption.

I have no issues with whey, but like to vary my protein powders from time to time (for totally bro-science reasons). There are a few plant based options, rice protein usually doesn’t taste to bad, pea is usually pretty rough, hemp is nasty & expensive. Right now I’m enjoying “Raw protein” by Garden of Life, like a plant protein mix, super tasty with chocolate coconut milk (Silk in a carton).

I have no issues with whey, but like to vary my protein powders from time to time (for totally bro-science reasons). There are a few plant based options, rice protein usually doesn’t taste to bad, pea is usually pretty rough, hemp is nasty & expensive. Right now I’m enjoying “Raw protein” by Garden of Life, like a plant protein mix, super tasty with chocolate coconut milk (Silk in a carton).

double post, weird

I like coconut oil, milk and water. I’ve personally done well with my lifting after adding to my diet.

I don’t take it myself, but have read of those not tolerating whey well instead loading up on gelatin as a protein source.