Allergic to Flax Seed/Oil?

Is anyone else here allergic? I’m apparently allergic to flax seed and powder and I’d assume oil as well (although I haven’t tried it). It gives me an immediate funny taste in my mouth and an upset stomach. I did some research on the web and found sparing reference to such an allergy other than it’s rare.

Anyone else? Experiences? Insight? Cause? I’m generally not an “allergic” kind of person, as far as I know. I know various food allergies can be chronic and unnoticeable, so I’m starting to wonder.

[quote]TheBodyGuard wrote:
Is anyone else here allergic? I’m apparently allergic to flax seed and powder and I’d assume oil as well (although I haven’t tried it). It gives me an immediate funny taste in my mouth and an upset stomach. I did some research on the web and found sparing reference to such an allergy other than it’s rare.

Anyone else? Experiences? Insight? Cause? I’m generally not an “allergic” kind of person, as far as I know. I know various food allergies can be chronic and unnoticeable, so I’m starting to wonder.[/quote]

One can be allergic to pretty much anything, at any time.

As long it there is no itching/swelling, or the gastric upset isn’t particularly awful, it’s hard to say whether it’s an allergy. And allergic reactions, unless ridiculously severe, shouldn’t show symptoms immediately. If your mouth itched a few minutes after eating flax and then there stomach problems, I’d say yes.

Still, I’d avoid anything that makes you feel like shit.

Never noticed anything like that with flax, but I have with cantaloupe. Every time I eat it I get a funny tingling or itching sensation on my lips and a spicy taste mixed with the sweetness. Other melons are fine for me. I finally just stopped ever eating cantaloupe. It’s not like it’s some essential superfood.

You can get your Omega-3s elsewhere, and in more readily utilized form, so why bother with flax?

[quote]BobParr wrote:
Never noticed anything like that with flax, but I have with cantaloupe. Every time I eat it I get a funny tingling or itching sensation on my lips and a spicy taste mixed with the sweetness. Other melons are fine for me. I finally just stopped ever eating cantaloupe. It’s not like it’s some essential superfood.

You can get your Omega-3s elsewhere, and in more readily utilized form, so why bother with flax?[/quote]

the only thing I really was enthusiastic about regarding flax was the fiber content.

^Meh, psyllium husk is way better than flax seed as a fibre source.

The quality of bowel movements is night and day.

[quote]TheBodyGuard wrote:

Anyone else? Experiences? Insight? Cause? I’m generally not an “allergic” kind of person, as far as I know. I know various food allergies can be chronic and unnoticeable, so I’m starting to wonder.[/quote]

I dont have any info regarding flax allergies but I had a similar reaction to pine nuts (homemade pesto). I had ‘pine mouth’ for days, bloody awful! I googled it and discovered it was from various varieties of chinese pine nuts, which are apparently not that edible? I stay away from those little bastards now!

Anyway it maybe worth checking out the destination source of the flax you are buying and whether its organic or not, ‘might’ have something to do with it other than the fact you are allergic to flax