T Nation

All You Office Workers

I just started my first office job, as an intern at a bank nearby. What I notcied was there are literally no muscular people at the 60+ person place I work at. At 6’8", a shade above 220, I was far and away the most muscular person there, and I consider myself way too small. Has anyone else in an office environment experienced this, and should I be shocked or is it just the weakening of America as a whole?

I work in CubicleLand with a bunch of pudgy, middle-age, coffee breath engineer-types. In my group of 50 or so men, there are two other guys besides me who lift.

In the corporate/office world you will generally be the odd one out. You may find that there are a few cardio junkies such as runners and cyclists etc who actually take care of themselves to some extent, but you will definately be in the minority if you lift.

You are definitely the exception and not the rule!

There are only about a handful of people at my company that have any muscle to them. The odd thing is that everywhere else I go the engineers are usually relatively small, but our engineering department actually has a couple of big guys. I just found out that my boss won a couple natural bodybuilding contests on the state level.

[quote]DukeBoSox wrote:
I just started my first office job, as an intern at a bank nearby. What I notcied was there are literally no muscular people at the 60+ person place I work at. At 6’8", a shade above 220, I was far and away the most muscular person there, and I consider myself way too small. Has anyone else in an office environment experienced this, and should I be shocked or is it just the weakening of America as a whole?[/quote]

I’m working the summer at a financial consulting firm and it’s exactly how it is. Remember that these are the people they make those dress clothes for. It’s just so wierd to see people with such small legs!

I work with 9 other people in an office setting. 6 are extremely overweight, 1 is obese. The other one is a runner and the last only eats vegetables because she doesnt want to get fat.

This isn’t limited to the corporate world, though it is probably the most extreme. At my university, a large percentage of the student body doesn’t exercise, and many that do just do intramurals once or twice a week rather than lifting.

At 6’8" it doesn’t surprise me that everyone else looks small to you.

as 5’8 and 195 rugby playing machine I’m not the tallest but I’m certainly the widest…

two guys on the floor below me run triathelons. Their idea of super nutrition is tinned stew at lunch and are consequently skinny. The funny thing is that on our intranet we have photo mug shots with our personal profiles. The two insisted that their mug shot was replaced by a finish line action shot. Honestly !

I work at a school, spend a lot of time at a desk (I’m pretty much the I.T. Department). I’m in better shape than just about everyone working here, including guys half my age who think they’re all that. Those co-workers that I know work out mostly do cardio to try to control their disproportionate waistlines.

I wouldn’t think 60 people in an office environment are representative of the entire American society.
You’re a tall fella who works out, they’re not… no more to it than that.

[quote]duke wrote:
I wouldn’t think 60 people in an office environment are representative of the entire American society.
You’re a tall fella who works out, they’re not… no more to it than that.
[/quote]

Oh I would say he was right on. American society= a bunch of fat lazy people.

Most desk jockeys are about as fat as they come. When people don’t exercise and go on all the business lunches, or make breakfast the coffee and donuts at the office, then sit at a desk all day; they gain a whole lot of weight!

[quote]DukeBoSox wrote:
I just started my first office job, as an intern at a bank nearby. What I notcied was there are literally no muscular people at the 60+ person place I work at. At 6’8", a shade above 220, I was far and away the most muscular person there, and I consider myself way too small. Has anyone else in an office environment experienced this, and should I be shocked or is it just the weakening of America as a whole?[/quote]

Very definitely. Wankers and lard asses overpopulate most offices. Especially mine.

[quote]DukeBoSox wrote:

LOL soooo true.
i work for a very little (but smart…) software house.

aside the boss, we are 4 guy.
here some stats:

me, 170cm x 103kg
d, 180x80kg
g, 170x58kg
f, 170x60kg

;D

I work in a bank with about 100 people in it. There are probably only 2 of us who lift weights with any real direction. There are a lot of what most people would consider “fit”, but like someone else said, they are usually aerobic/running trainers. There are a couple of women who work hard and look pretty good, but that’s about it. Weightlifting is definitely NOT a part of corporate America.

The comments I get about my meals are pretty funny. For example, as I’m eating about 6 scrambled eggs with lots of bacon, a couple of guys in my group will always say “I wish I could eat like that”. I always say, “you can, just start lifting weights”. These are two older guys (50ish) that are in good shape because of running, but they eat like birds. T

DB

[quote]S-Lifter wrote:
DukeBoSox wrote:
I just started my first office job, as an intern at a bank nearby. What I notcied was there are literally no muscular people at the 60+ person place I work at. At 6’8", a shade above 220, I was far and away the most muscular person there, and I consider myself way too small. Has anyone else in an office environment experienced this, and should I be shocked or is it just the weakening of America as a whole?

Very definitely. Wankers and lard asses overpopulate most offices. Especially mine.
[/quote]

It’s not only American office workers that are fat. Most of the country is out of shape. Have you seen our nations Police forces? A job that requires physical activity and a lot are fat bastards.

In my agency (Federal) there are almost 12,000 employees. The only physical requirement is when you attend the Academy. Once that’s over you are free to fatten up. I would say that 70% are not in the condition they should be in to do their job effectively or at least look like they can hold their own.

In my Sector every facility has a gym that employees can use for free. Do they use it? Nope. There is only a small core of people that do. Hell, supervisors and managers are allowed to work out on duty. They still don’t, but I do. If I was a criminal I would have a field day with them.

Currently I go to a small school where there isnt a person bigger than me. Really…no one even close to my size. I havent even seen anyone in this new community bigger than me. Granted I’m 5’10" and 230lbs but still. You should have seen the other gym go-ers the first day I came and picked up the 100 lb db’s…only because that was the biggest ones they had and couldnt go higher.

I get tired of being asked if I play(ed) football too.

I work at a software company that employs over 300 people. I’ve been here about seven years and from what I can tell, there are and have been VERY few others here who pay any attention to their bodies. I’m certainly not perfect, but other than maybe two other guys around here, I might carry the most muscle and size at 6’4" (too much fat though).

Otherwise, there are a few small skinny and cut types who spend more time running and doing cardio than anything else, and some weekend sports types. Most of the people who appear to make any effort are men. Most of the women seem to rely on youth, cigarettes, or diet soda to keep ‘slim’ (and of course, soft) and there really aren’t many ‘slim’ ones. I also think we may have a few women who are softball players.

I’m interning at an accounting firm for the summer (i’m here now) and notice the same thing. I do feel it’s the same all over, think about it. You walk into any retail store or public place and take a look around, 9/10 times most will look scrawny to the point of disgusting or just fat as hell.

People are lazy, everybody complains about not losing fat while on some new super diet, then you ask what exercise they do on a weekly basis and they stare at you like you just spoke in caveman language to them.