All You Ever Wanted to Know About Fish Oil

[quote]crod266 wrote:
the thing with Poliquin is your right he says soem wierd shit, but also sometimes when he states something like consume 20g of creatine. The reason probably is is some of his athletes had gains using that high a dosage so he advises to TRY it. he doesnt say every person has to.

Also when Poliquin writes he writes things to prefect the body. Like with turning off all the electronics. It probably did help, but he doesnt write things to be able to fit into your life. He says things like that because its the best possible thing for your body and it up to you to fit it into your life.[/quote]

Charles has been working with high level athletes for 30 years. And he is the most anal individual when it comes to keeping records. I mean he keeps everything… supplement protocol, exact diet, program, performance evolution, weekly body fat testing, blood test results, etc. For every single person he has ever trained.

His database could probably rival the NSA info!!! It is this data and the countless hours spent weeding through scientific studies that led to his claims. And regardless of how silly some might sound, they are all based on truth. It may not be the norm, but it is never a lie.

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:
crod266 wrote:
the thing with Poliquin is your right he says soem wierd shit, but also sometimes when he states something like consume 20g of creatine. The reason probably is is some of his athletes had gains using that high a dosage so he advises to TRY it. he doesnt say every person has to.

Also when Poliquin writes he writes things to prefect the body. Like with turning off all the electronics. It probably did help, but he doesnt write things to be able to fit into your life. He says things like that because its the best possible thing for your body and it up to you to fit it into your life.

Charles has been working with high level athletes for 30 years. And he is the most anal individual when it comes to keeping records. I mean he keeps everything… supplement protocol, exact diet, program, performance evolution, weekly body fat testing, blood test results, etc. For every single person he has ever trained.

His database could probably rival the NSA info!!! It is this data and the countless hours spent weeding through scientific studies that led to his claims. And regardless of how silly some might sound, they are all based on truth. It may not be the norm, but it is never a lie.[/quote]

thats a good point to Thib, to say hes dum is preety outrageous considering all the expirence

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:
There is no doubt that Poliquin is a dedicated to his trade. The guy has experience, knowledge, and proficiency and from what I gather works A LOT and works damn hard and is fully dedicated to his trade! That alone stirs a great deal of admiration and respect from me. Actually, if it had not been for Poliquin’s writings that I discovered at 20 years old, I probably would have not been exposed to T-Nation and other great strength training material and writers. I have learned quite a bit from Poliquin.

Perhaps irritating is not the correct word. Pedantic or silly at times might fit.

Both are good, knowledgeable guys in my opinion. I just find a great deal of their statements to be silly. I have already mentioned what I think that Poliquin has said that is silly. He also once stated in clever words that bodybuilders have fairly low IQs:

“Shave my forearms? If shaving body parts was my thing, I would be parading around the EAS booth at the Arnold Classic with plucked eyebrows and hair groomed by Eduardo of Manhattan, saying stuff to my cronies like, “Get the plane ready.” This would no doubt impress many members of the bodybuilding audience, many of whom have an average IQ that’s lower than that of a WWF audience. That is, an IQ of 5 (it takes 6 to bark).”

After this bashing of bodybuilders, I do not see why he would continue to write in bodybuilding publications if he feels so low of them. Many strength training writers do this. State how the training methods of BBers are faulty and that BBers are a bunch of dumb jackasses who don’t know how to train and then continue to write in BB publications. Strange.

Abel says weird shit too. I have commented on my problems with his writing style in another thread on here. Stating that Dorian trained “wrong” is quite funny. Or that if Dorian adopted a different training style, he could have been better. Are you kidding me? Come to think of it, anyone criticizing the method that lead to someone to multiple Sandows is silly to me. He states Dorian also “got help” several times in his writings and this is what lead him to attain Olympia status. Dorian NEVER had a nutritionist or a trainer. Mike Mentzer was not his coach. They shared a HANDFUL workouts together in Cali. That was it. Mentzer did not train him or nutritionally advise him.

The guy has stated other off the wall shit and his articles are unreadable to me at this point. He once stated that his Innervation Training methodology was the only total, complete methodology in all of strength training.

As stated before, both are probably good guys. I just think a lot of what they write stinks!

My favorite writers for BB are:
Lonnie Lowery
CT
Tom Venuto
Layne Norton
Daniel Duchaine
John Berardi
Dorian Yates
Dante Trudel
Ron Harris

As you can see, all of them are INVOLVED in bodybuilding and they do not aim to confuse readers in their writings.

[/quote]

Best post of the year

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:
The other problem with adhering to authors’ advice is that they, especially Poliquin, give so many supplemental, dietetic, and training advice that I would lose my fucking mind if I were to follow all of it![/quote]

I havent jumped onto the mega-dose fish oil bandwagon. For the life of me, I cant see its justification in such high quantities to a young and healthy individual. Perhaps if you have some sort of inflammatory condition or nagging joint issue.

‘Maintenance’ dosing seems the more reasonalble tactic to the young and healthy. There is also potential that it can limit muscle gains to the young and healthy when dosed so high.

6-10 grams per day would seem more reasonable. The older you get, the greater the benefit obviously. And then, the greater the need for somethine like Flameout.

Hello CT,

Thanks for your replies to some of my posts recently. I feel it is a huge compliment to even have my posts even paid attention to by someone like you. I guess I stand corrected. You know Poliquin better than I do and you have provided me with information that is contrary to what I thought of the guy. I just think people might want to watch what they write sometimes. I am sure Poliquin is in no way scrambling for more business but there were times when he was speaking in NYC and a few friends and I would not see him speak because we all just said “I don’t know, I don’t want to see this guy speak. He says a lot of nutty shit lately and he is a it of a prick”. Well, now we stand corrected.

I have no problems with people being sarcastic, vulgar, ludicrous, insulting, or abrasive at times. I mean, we are MEN! That is just how we are sometimes. Get a gang of hot headed lifters, stock brokers, or coporate bosses (anyone ambitious in pushing “numbers”) in a room together and I am sure you will see loads of sarcasm and abrasiveness. Might be different than a gang of musicians, artists, social workers, or nurses!

Did you see the results of the NY Pro? I attended. I think Lou Joseph and Francisco Battista should have been in the top 5. Perhaps David Henry and Ronnie Rockel are more “polished” than Paco but I think they were jipped.

I do not mean this to be a jock grabber, though you will be further complimented. I think your articles “Training Roadmap”, “Pump Down the Volume”, and "How to Design a Damn Good Program, as well as the newbie series on training and nutrition are the most useful ones on this entire site. Anytime someone asks me about advice on training, I say what I have to say and then direct them to these articles! I say with these articles, there is enough information for one to use that they will not even have to refer to another article or book for quite some time!

I have spoken quite highly of your writing style in the past year. You are a great technical writer. How did you become such a great writer? I find a great technical writer simply provides some scientific or anecdotal information for background of a thesis and then just polishes the article off in a way readers can apply quickly and easily. I am a scientific guy myself. I just think some authors neglect the fact that most readers are not.

I happen to be, like Lonnie Lowery, Jeff Volek, Douglas Kalman, an RD (registered dietitian) and I am finishing a masters in nutrition. I get a bit tired of the old academic shit sometimes and am always looking for ways to expand my knowledge. So, next time Poliquin is in town, I might see him speak since you have changed my view on the guy.

Thanks again!

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:
Did you see the results of the NY Pro? I attended. I think Lou Joseph and Francisco Battista should have been in the top 5. Perhaps David Henry and Ronnie Rockel are more “polished” than Paco but I think they were jipped.

[/quote]

Paco is a monster, massive as hell and has the best conditioning since Munzer (in some areas he is even better). But his aesthetics are terrible. I think that they sometimes let it float with US guys, but it seems like they will use the ‘‘aesthetic’’ excuse a lot more with Europeans who should place a lot higher (Paco, Rhul, Sholtz… and in the past Fux and the likes).

Thanks for coming into the conversation and clearing up some confussiong CT. Now here is the ultimate question: Do YOU recommend taking 45g of fish oil a day?

[quote]DanErickson wrote:
Thanks for coming into the conversation and clearing up some confussiong CT. Now here is the ultimate question: Do YOU recommend taking 45g of fish oil a day?[/quote]

Sometimes