All Things Chin Up

Hmmmmm…

@anon71262119 where did all your posts go?

1 Like
1 Like

I’m with @kd13, what happened to your posts? They were very informative and helpful. I appreciate you taking the time to help.

1 Like

I love how @Alpha always glares at the weights like how dare you disrespect my strength by being so light.

2 Likes

@anon71262119 put em back! Put them back!

I remember seeing the video of your pull ups before and being very impressed. Where did you start from? Have you always been able to do them pretty well or did you start from 0?

@anon50325502 the most genius thing I got from that video was the way he is offset to one side of the bar to make use of a slightly wider grip than the middle two handles. I have the same configuration on my chin up bar and find the middle two are a little narrow, doing that never even crossed my mind.

2 Likes

Ya, I’ll have to go home and look. I have the same (or very similar) rig from Rogue, but I didn’t notice a difference in grip width.

Here is mine, middle two are very close.

^This pullup bar is exactly like mine and I really like it. Got it on sale at Titan Fitness.

Gotcha. I h ave this one

Trust a marine for pullup bar selection. What kind of rack is that attached to?

It’s the Rogue R-6.

The thing is a beast, but it takes up a lot of space.

I’m moving the gym to our basement and I’m not sure it’ll fit…

3 Likes

Nice, so being slightly to 1 side and having hands at 1 and 3 would be the width that alpha is using.

Ya, I think so, which makes sense. 1 & 4 is too wide for me. I usually do 2 & 3, but I might try 1 & 3 now. I never even thought about that.

Thank you. I hope some of this is helpful. I assumed you’d read them, and the thread had moved on.

I restored them.

@ my pullups. Thank you. I very quickly had a few pullups when I started, but then I felt like I had to fight for every one, once I hit about 5. I can really tell if I’m just 5 pounds lighter, then they’re easier. In terms of upper body lifts, I was relatively strong for my size when I started.

I sometimes feel anxious when I post something here. I don’t want to derail your thread with that, but let’s just say that I’ve done some experiments with posting in these forums and I’m beginning to really dislike them unless I’m talking to someone specific and they’re responding back, in which case I’d rather just have the option of messaging someone, or maybe talking in their log. If I take the time to write a post about something and don’t hear back, nobody responds, I’m often going to feel less happy than if I hadn’t put it out there at all.

1 Like

Don’t worry anything you would like to add here is much appreciated.

Sometimes I only grab a quick 5 minutes on my phone to look at the forum so I read your posts and gave them a quick like with the intention of responding when I had more time, then they vanished!

My wife can’t do a single chin up, she doesn’t train at all, my nieces do gymnastics and are always messing around on my chin up and dip bars so we talked about having a go at getting her to be able to do some to impress the girls. Was thinking lots of negative and assisted reps is the only real way to go. Any thoughts?

Please feel free to post any videos you like, the ones you added were great.

2 Likes

Hey, no worries and no pressure. I think some of us are less happy with social media, and it can make us feel more isolated. I’m not prone to anxiety or feeling socially isolated in my real life, so it’s interesting that that’s what I how feel here much of the time. Not surprising that it’s not such a good fit for me. I prefer to develop real friendships.

That’s exactly what I did. Hop up to the bar and then slowly lower, really working the negatives. Inverted rows are really good. I’m thinking like this, but CL is going some very cool ones with rings.
InvertedRow

Of course, chins are usually easiest for a beginner. Then work on neutral grip pullups (hands facing each other), then regular pullups with a wider grip. The only downside to chins is they can allow you to really build Bis without getting much Lat involved, and women tend to have a lot less width and thickness to our backs.

2 Likes

This exactly! I will bounce on an off during breaks. Depending where I am on any particular day detemines when I can respond.
I found the info on the rows helpful. I will certainly give that a try. I am hopelessly latless!

1 Like

Last week my right shoulder started to pop during the eccentric in pull-ups. It wouldn’t hurt right away, but after the set it’d get annoying.

Now it’s started to do that even on the concentric, and it hurts mid-set as well. The left one too. In other words, it’s getting worse. The movement also doesn’t feel “right.”

Anyone can relate? How did you fix this?

1 Like

Stop doing that movement for at least a week, do pull aparts and face pulls for that week instead.

Try pullups again in a week. If it still hurts make the break longer. Don’t mess with shoulder issues.

3 Likes