All Things Chin Up

I don’t really think chins (or pull ups) are great lat builders for me, I do notice great arm growth from high volume chins (or pull ups)

I didn’t chin for over 6 months, only did rows and made progress with my back, I’m now doing them 2 or 3 times a week, rotating between 3 different rep goals, as below.

Day 1 is 10 sets aiming to hit 100 reps

Day 2 is 3 sets to failure (350 method)

Day 3 is 10x3 week 1/ x4 week 2/ x5 week 3 weighted.

Nice that each session is a different challenge.

5 Likes

Yeah, yeah, show off! :joy: Niiiicceee!

If I was going to show off I would have pulled off some Frank Medrano moves!

Being pretty light and being all upper body has it’s benefits.

1 Like

Well don’t let us mere mortals stop you.
Let’s see it!

2 Likes

Move to the US. Either very rural areas or dense urban areas, you’ll fit right in.

2 Likes

@ChickenLittle erm, I would but

My camera is broken…

My shoulder is playing up a little and don’t want to risk it…

My chin up bar melted in the sun…

Which one do you believe most?

Hmmmm… okay, but I have the feeling you are just holding out on us :joy:

I love chin ups personally. Probably my favorite exercise. Current PRs are 10 x BW+40lbs and 5 x BW+82.5lbs (current BW is 210-215lbs). I bring the bar up to my clavicles and lower just short of dead hang.

At 210lbs BW I’m basically ‘‘pulling’’ nearly 300lbs for 5, but can barely bench 235 for 5, sadly. Pushing strength sucks compared to pulling.

Great thread. One of my shortish term goals is to get back to 20+ dead hang pull-ups or chin-ups or whatever the fuck-ups. Need to drop about 40lbs, though… Ha!

I’ve always loved em.

5 Likes

Just set a new pull up PR, neutral grip. 3 reps of BW+100lbs and 1 rep of BW+120lbs. BW 219lbs.

5 Likes

Two years ago, there was an event at my University where there were various booths, and one of them was an army booth with a pull up bar. They gave you various prizes based on the number of pull ups or chin ups you could do. As a 42 year old faculty member, I cranked out 25 which was the most for the day (unless someone beat it after I left).

I actually got really good at pull ups doing p90x about 10+ years ago. I remember that I started with 8 as my max, and after doing the program two times through I could do 24. They are my favorite exercise, and now I do them weighted, unweighted, muscle ups, etc…

I had been working towards a one arm pull up, but never got there. I was practicing lots of one arm negatives, but could never get my chin to the bar without adding at least a finger from the other hand.

4 Likes

I briefly tried one arm pull ups after watching the Alex Puccio video I put up, and decided they were a good way to wreck my shoulders. Same with muscle-ups. I was getting myself in some pretty awkward positions with trying to get those. At this point, I’m all about avoiding shoulder injuries.

2 Likes

You are an amazing lady! Pretty sure that my ship has already sailed on doing the levers and the muscle ups…lol but, it’s fun to watch them!
Wow! Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Thank you. Back at ya!
The inverted rows you’re doing with rings are going to build your pullup and bench strength. My bench and pullups always progress in tandem.

I thought of her levers when I saw your controlled hanging leg raises with rings. Very nice. I always do leg raises with my back supported, body turned outward on that piece of equipment above with the rock climbing grips, back and forearms supported so WAY easier than that your’e doing. I have a really hard time controlling that movement, so I’m super impressed that you’re training them on rings.

BTW, you mentioned that you hurt a shoulder(s) doing dips? I never train dips for that reason. I have to be super careful with my right shoulder unfortunately. I’m pretty sure I have a small tear or some kind. Dips are the devil for me.

Also, check out how tiny Alex is built through her lower body. If I really wanted to just prioritize pullups, I’d try to let my calves atrophy. Haha.

Yes! My right shoulder has thrown way too straps and chains over 13-14 foot tall loads to ever be the same again.

1 Like

Are you talking about the ones you slide your upper arms in?

Thanks! dchris had suggested while ago to try the ab straps to help activate my lats. Thanks for the vid! I get it now :smirk:

You bet. I hope that’s helpful.

I got the idea for using straps, and also for using the Hi Pulley with straps like that from @Christian_Thibaudeau. Also, @robstein had a great thread on MMC awhile ago, and he was using straps for cable machines. That was helpful.

@dchris’s advice about ab straps, I used to hook ab straps to the horizontal cable row, but I had to be careful or I’d end up with bruises on my triceps. Your mileage may vary. I know you’re usually training in a home gym, so you’re improvising.

@ChickenLittle, your comment about Lats made me think of this. I like to train BentOver BB rows with Versa Gripps, and like SN mentioned, aim for my back pocket instead of rowing upward toward my rib cage or belly button. That little adjustment makes ALL the difference in activating Lats.