All these Damn Calories....

[quote]Rippemanewone wrote:
Well ever since ive been eating everything to bulk. Pizza fast food steak chicken EVERYTHING, My muscle mass has increased quite a bit along with 3 shakes a day with eggs in them. But im gaining a little fat on my stomach i can pinch an inch and a half now and im not liking it lol.

But im sure this is all part of gaining mass and in a few months just lean and cut down. Im an ectomorph so its easy for me to lose weight.[/quote]

Dude come on…

1. it’s unavoidable to gain fat while trying to reach your goal of size and strength.
  2. The amount of fat you gain can be controlled through your dietary choices and cardio
  3. I can’t be sure based on your description if the fat you’ve gained is something you should just ignore (especially since you say you’ve gained a considerable amount of muscle) or if it is too much.
  4. If it’s indeed too much (and i’m talking objectively here, not subjectively) then perhaps you shouldn’t be eating pizza and fast food.

Gaining size and strength doesn’t mean go on a see food diet. It just means increasing your cals so you can grow. Some dirty foods are absolutely fine but if it becomes a daily habit, you better have a kick ass metabolism.

Make your diet pretty clean, cheat a couple times a week perhaps (for sanity, for pleasure, and to boost cals occasionally) and try to progress in the gym each workout.

It takes a while, but if you do what many others do and get discouraged and go on a cut after only 3 months of “gaining” you will be running in circles (this is all assuming your goal is to gain a considerable amount of size and strength).

Good luck

[quote]Rippemanewone wrote:
5 lbs a year? dude i went from 112 to 180 in 2 years lol[/quote]

In all fairness: It’s fairly easy to gow from near-bulimic weight (you actually started lighter than me lol, I thought I was the skinniest person ever, starting at 120) to 200 and even a little beyond. After that, things slow down… But 5 lbs a year in muscle-gain is pathetic unless you’re not really trying to actively gain size.

I went from 9.6 oz to 190 lbs in 27 yrs, so HA!

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
I went from 9.6 oz to 190 lbs in 27 yrs, so HA![/quote]

;D

i went from 150 to 220 in 6 months

the horror

[quote]Standard Donkey wrote:

the horror[/quote]

Well, he was talking about muscle only. But even so, you gained more than he will ever be able to imagine himself gaining, it seems.

[quote]Standard Donkey wrote:

the horror[/quote]

IMPOSSIBLE. A 180lbs guy told me so.

[quote]croc wrote:
even eating clean you’ll put on fat so what!! if your not wanting to put on size, stay lean,!! if your a nat , even with all the bulking and cutting you’ll be doing great if you can put on 5 lbs of muscle per year, thats top nats [/quote]

Although I think Croc is crazy and being way too conservative (ESPECIALLY for someone who is a nat and starting off), he is talking 5lbs of strictly (lean) muscle, not bodyweight…so stop comparing bodyweights.

[quote]Theta1591 wrote:
croc wrote:
even eating clean you’ll put on fat so what!! if your not wanting to put on size, stay lean,!! if your a nat , even with all the bulking and cutting you’ll be doing great if you can put on 5 lbs of muscle per year, thats top nats

Although I think Croc is crazy and being way too conservative (ESPECIALLY for someone who is a nat and starting off), he is talking 5lbs of strictly (lean) muscle, not bodyweight…so stop comparing bodyweights.[/quote]

Doesn’t make him any less wrong.

I went from 9.6 oz to 190 lbs in 27 yrs, so HA![/quote]

You obviously haven’t gained much in the intelligence area over those years…at 9.6 oz you would have been one of the smallest premature babies in history if not the smallest.

[quote]pja wrote:
jehovasfitness wrote:

You obviously haven’t gained much in the intelligence area over those years…at 9.6 oz you would have been one of the smallest premature babies in history if not the smallest.[/quote]

shit, lol I meant 9 lbs 6 oz

[quote]MeinHerzBrennt wrote:

Dude come on…

1. it’s unavoidable to gain fat while trying to reach your goal of size and strength.

2. The amount of fat you gain can be controlled through your dietary choices and cardio

3. I can’t be sure based on your description if the fat you’ve gained is something you should just ignore (especially since you say you’ve gained a considerable amount of muscle) or if it is too much.

4. If it’s indeed too much (and i’m talking objectively here, not subjectively) then perhaps you shouldn’t be eating pizza and fast food.

Gaining size and strength doesn’t mean go on a see food diet. It just means increasing your cals so you can grow. Some dirty foods are absolutely fine but if it becomes a daily habit, you better have a kick ass metabolism.

Make your diet pretty clean, cheat a couple times a week perhaps (for sanity, for pleasure, and to boost cals occasionally) and try to progress in the gym each workout.

It takes a while, but if you do what many others do and get discouraged and go on a cut after only 3 months of “gaining” you will be running in circles (this is all assuming your goal is to gain a considerable amount of size and strength).

Good luck[/quote]

I think this is spot on. I regretfully did a “see food” diet about a year ago and although I gained size I gained a lot of fat. As mentioned before it is a part of the game you?re going to add fat but, once I started cutting I realized how much fat I really did put on.

Now that I am doing things over I am following a similar diet outlined above. I think you should read “The Truth about bulking” to gain a better perspective on Mass gaining phases it def. helped me.

pja wrote:
jehovasfitness wrote:

You obviously haven’t gained much in the intelligence area over those years…at 9.6 oz you would have been one of the smallest premature babies in history if not the smallest.

shit, lol I meant 9 lbs 6 oz[/quote]

you gained 6.6lbs/year ! you lose !

[quote]zraw wrote:
jehovasfitness wrote:
pja wrote:
jehovasfitness wrote:

shit, lol I meant 9 lbs 6 oz

you gained 6.6lbs/year ! you lose !
[/quote]

preposterous, you can only gain 5 lbs per year

[quote]Theta1591 wrote:
croc wrote:
even eating clean you’ll put on fat so what!! if your not wanting to put on size, stay lean,!! if your a nat , even with all the bulking and cutting you’ll be doing great if you can put on 5 lbs of muscle per year, thats top nats

Although I think Croc is crazy and being way too conservative (ESPECIALLY for someone who is a nat and starting off), he is talking 5lbs of strictly (lean) muscle, not bodyweight…so stop comparing bodyweights.[/quote]

CC is right, this is still too conservative.
I’m gaining about one pound a week. That’s 4lb a month, 48lb a year if I continue progressing. Now I understand shit comes up and it may be a tad unrealistic to project this out to one year, but it’s certainly doable for many people.

If my strength is going up in the gym consistently, how much of the 48lb is going to be muscle? Certainly much more than 5-10lb.

I understand you were agreeing that 5lb was too conservative, so even bumping that up to 10lb of muscle (which some people still think is impossible to attain in one year for someone who is not a beginner - unreal), that is still too low.

I can in no way say how much of that 48 will be muscle, but I seriously doubt it’s less than 20lb (assuming of course the person’s diet was reasonable ie not loaded with crap, and some cardio was thrown in if necessary, and he was progressing constantly in the gym).

When it’s all said and done, i’d rather gain that much weight, at that ratio, and be proud that I gained more muscle in one year than 90% of everyone else. Then if I wanted to, I could take what, 4-5 months of a strict diet and lean up a bit.

This is just me and it depends on the person’s goal, but I think this is pretty much the way it should be for anyone whose goal is to gain a considerable amount of size/strength.

seems to be some hate for carb cycling in this thread… is it a T-Nation taboo?

[quote]the_overman wrote:
seems to be some hate for carb cycling in this thread… is it a T-Nation taboo?[/quote]

I didn’t get that from this thread. That being said, many on here looking to gain weight would do best by just eating more (good food) than worrying about eating 100g carbs Day 1, 300g Day2 , 350.98u9343454kj Day 3 :wink:

I eat a shitload of pasta :smiley:

pasta is the shit

the_overman wrote:
seems to be some hate for carb cycling in this thread… is it a T-Nation taboo?

I didn’t get that from this thread. That being said, many on here looking to gain weight would do best by just eating more (good food) than worrying about eating 100g carbs Day 1, 300g Day2 , 350.98u9343454kj Day 3 ;)[/quote]

true. But when I’m rummaging through the fridge on an offday i’ll usually opt for more fats and proteins and try to avoid carbs if I can. Are my efforts in vain?