T Nation

All the big t-dawgs take a look

Whats up t-men? I am just turning 16 in august and have been lifting since i was about 14 and a half. When i started i was 6"1 and 135 pounds. Right now,I am about 6"3 and 160 pounds. I know a good amount about dieting and weight training but all the info can be very confusing to me. I’ve heard that in order to get bigger,you need to train like a powerlifter. This true? So im basically asking all the big guys who know what the hell they are talking about to just drop me a line and tell me what worked for them in regards of diet and training. Alot of kids take what “experts” say to heart, quit BS’in them.
Thanks again

One suggestion I have for you is instead of just listening to the advice of guys who are big, listen to advice from guys who are naturally built like you and through proper diet and training made good gains.
To get big you don’t necessarily have to train exactly like a powerlifter would although training in this fashion does have it’s advantages. You should do the basic movements (squat if you can perform it correctly, deadlift, bench press, dips, pull-ups, standing barbell press, t-bar row, barbell shrug etc.)-do the basic compound exercises heavy with good form and try to consistently increase your poundages-this will increase your strength and power.
Along with the basic exercises do 1 or 2 isolation exercises for each bodypart with higher reps and more time under tension. One problem with having long limb ratios is as Charles Staley mentioned in his recent article, a lot of the stress goes to areas other then the intended muscle…So go ahead and do the basic exercises for strength, but do more isolation type movements to focus on the intended muscle.
Contrary to the opinion of many others I believe that so-called hardgainers (naturally thin people with long limbs) need more reps on the basic movements, more isolation movements and more total volume. One reason for this is the long limbs. Another reason is this type of individual is more likely to be predominantly slow twitch and will thrive on the increased reps and volume.

Read T-Mag. Read EVERY issue of T-Mag. That includes ALL the back-issues. Read the T-Forum every couple of days. Do that for a month (having read at least one back-issue a day), and you’ll have more knowledge than 99% of weight-trainers out there.

Read the Skinny Bastard Support Group (SBSG) post on the forum. You should learn a lot. As there are many other skinny bastards walking around at 6 feet tall and 150-170lbs of skin and bones. They are getting schooled on that post with plenty of good info.

I aint big but I have a view - training like a power lifter full time will not give you the best size gains and will short change your in the all important delt department. For the first 2 years 8-12 reps will most likely give you the best size gains and less than 8 will give best strength gains but continuous growth will only occur in line with continuous strength gains. At least thats how it works for me and I find it best to do some strength/power weeks or months followed by hypertrophy months. My next program will be 2-8 week cycles of hypertrophy/massive eating followed by 2-8 weeks of strength/dont diet because of (1) the view I set out above (2) I get OK strength gains while cutting so I still make progress lifting wise (3) substantial overeating is highly anabolic (the only way to gain for some) but the health and muscle loss effects of prolonged dieting are too great to make prolonged bulking and fat gain a good idea. Ill optimise the plan and incorporate JMB’s creatine cycle in one or both phases to experiment with results.

Not to disagree with Dre, but basically anything that you do in your first year or two will give you good gains if you’re consistent. Sounds like you’re (a) still growing and (b) you now have enough time under your belt that you’re no longer going to experience newbie gains. So: Kelly’s advice is spot-on - everyone’s different, and you should find someone who’s your bodytype (ectomorph) but has made good gains to give you advice. Don’t worry so much about what some guy who gets big simply looking at weights tells you; he most likely hasn’t had to learn much about training to grow. As far as powerlifting-style training goes, you definitely don’t have to lift like a powerlifter (low reps, high sets) to get big. Higher reps (8 to 10 range) will be better for hypertrophy. But, as Dre pointed out, cycling training styles will give you the best overall results, assuming that you might want to actually have a little strength to go along with your muscles. In fact, now that you’re out of the newbie phase, cycling should probably be the biggest, most-used word in your weightlifting vocabulary. Have it tattooed on your left pec or something.

Skinny bastard: I was about 185 pounds when I was your age, at six foot tall. My son Bob is now 16 (the T-Mag staff met him in Columbus at the Arnold Classic) and he weighs a lean 235-240 right now. He’s been lifting for four years, but for the past two has been using mostly powerlifting type workouts. Concentrate on the big movements, as has been suggested to you already. However, and I feel this is the most important point of all, EAT! If you weigh 160 and have been maintaining that weight, you’re only eating to support 160 pounds. If you wish to be 200 pounds, you must eat like a 200 pounder!! Eat more protein, more quality carbs, more good fat, then eat some more. All the workout principles in the world won’t pack mass on you if you don’t consume a great deal more calories than you expend, it’s really that simple.

train big, eat big, don’t chase butterflies. What I mean by that is don’t run for the tape measure every day. DO keep a training log and log your strength progress. I would stick to 4-6 reps. I wouldn’t perform ANY misnamed isolation movements. One thing that you will probably do is change your routine often, thinking this is what is keeping you from magical mass gains.