T Nation

ALL Supplements Banned

I came across this from another website, is this bollocks or the truth? I know in the UK we are going to get fucked over by the European Union who are planning some sort of draconian laws.

Your right to choose your vitamin, mineral and other supplements may end in June of this year (2005). After that U.S. supplements will be defined and controlled by the World Trade Organization (WTO) and the World Health Organization (WHO). The CODEX ALIMENTARIUS (Food Code) is setting the supplement standards for all countries in the WTO. They will be enforced by the WTO and will over ride U.S. laws. The U.S. President and Congress agreed to this take-over when the WTO Treaty was signed. Violations are punished by WTO trade sanctions. CODEX drastically restricts vitamins, minerals, herbs and other supplements. CODEX met secretly in November, 2004 and finalized Step 8 (the final stage) to begin implementation in June, 2005.

The CODE includes:

No supplement can be sold for preventive or therapeutic use.

Any potency higher than RDA (minimal strength) is a drug requiring a prescription and must be produced by drug companies. Over 5000 safe items now in health stores will be banned, terminating health stores as we now know them.

CODEX regulations become binding internationally.

New supplements are banned unless given very expensive CODEX testing and approval.

If this is true, it’s time for a revolution. We can not allow this to happen!

thats true.

NICE stated that there should be efficacy/safety data.

I think in many cases this is right.

I remember a study looking at (i hope this is right) Beta carotene, supposed to reduce cancer.

It significantly increased it.

Pharma has to prove its worth, there should be a minimum standard that has to be met by other such companies (inc food). it should not be left to prove that something is bad, rather that it has to be proven to be safe.

Please correct me on the study if they have any greater in depth information, and correct me on any ascertion made form this also.

You forgot the line about giving over your first born to Eli Lily and or Pfizer.

I would be interested in hearing what someone involved in the supplement industry has to say about this. Obviously this is their livelihood that the government are screwing with so I guess they would be pretty concerned.

[quote]piper1 wrote:
If this is true, it’s time for a revolution. We can not allow this to happen![/quote]

Ok, you Americans storm Washington. We’ll take Brussells, someone has got to take down the European Union. Wankers.

[quote]Paulos wrote:
I would be interested in hearing what someone involved in the supplement industry has to say about this. Obviously this is their livelihood that the government are screwing with so I guess they would be pretty concerned.[/quote]

Agreed. Tim? TC?

[quote]Soco wrote:
You forgot the line about giving over your first born to Eli Lily and or Pfizer.

[/quote]

!!!

And then astra zeneca has sole rights to fit young adult males studying at college, with no money.

!imay work for the devil, but i hate the devil"

I PM’d Shugart with this kind of thing a couple weeks ago. I haven’t heard anything back from him.

Maybe they’re looking into it more.

This is the first I heard of it, and searching I really found most of the information on either strange named websites, or forums. I didn’t find anything in a legitimate newspaper.

Though I did find a supposed USA Today page, but not at usatoday.com. And it was a letter about the event, not an article.

I also found a website requesting donations, and a couple of “articles” that linked to such websites, or other weird named websites.

I even tried searching at WTO’s homepage, and could not find anything involving the words supplement, or vitamin.

Anyone have a verifiable source?

Also my understanding is that the WTO is a relatively weak organization, and that they cannot even enforce any rules, that it is up to other countries to take any action on any decision they make.

I have some serious doubts to the validity of this story.

This would be the type of thing that would put Biotest out of business, and there would be no more financial support for T-Nation, so that would be gone too, so I am sure the people here would be on top of this subject, and probably would have commented by now.

I even tried searching at WTO’s homepage, and could not find anything involving the words supplement, or vitamin.

Anyone have a verifiable source?

It may be better to look on WHO (world health org) or NICE (national institute for clinicale excellence).

These may be a lead

Also the WHO has significant sway on countries and their policies if it pertains to health. As far as legislation goes, that may be a different thiing.

In reality it is one thing to influence other organisations that affect health professioanls, and another to influence governments and legislation.

“Wierd websites” weak Ad hominem

anyway…

from: http://www.lef.org/featured-articles/emergency_update_020705.htm

By John C. Hammell, President, International Advocates for Health Freedom

The two barristers (attorneys) who represented ANH before the World Court in Luxembourg, Paul Lasok, QC, (right), who argued the case and Michael Patchett-Joyce. Photo by David Hinde, ANH.

On January 25, I witnessed Paul Lasok, QC, a world leading expert on EU law, do a superlative job of presenting the case of The Alliance for Natural Health (UK) in the European Court of Justice in Luxembourg.

At issue is the draconian EU Food Supplement Directive?s so called ?positive list? of ingredients allowed to be used in the manufacture of dietary supplements. The ban posed by the ?positive? list will eliminate 75% of the forms of vitamins and minerals currently used in the EU market, unless the court issues a favorable verdict in June.

Americans must be concerned about ANH?s case due to the fact that the EU Food Supplement Directive is being overlaid as a template atop the development of a global trade standard for dietary supplements being ?developed? by the UN?s Codex Alimentarius Commission (with a little ?help? from the US FDA.)

Dietician Christine Lewis-Taylor is ?on loan? from the FDA to the World Health Organization where she is spearheading their ?nutrient risk assessment project? which by May will have ?filled in the blanks? on allowable vitamins and potency limits at Codex.

FDA is setting the USA up for ?harm-onization? of its dietary supplement laws to a mindlessly restrictive international standard- aided and abetted directly by pharma dominated vitamin trade associations world wide which have been effectively pulling the wool over the eyes of American industry, health food stores and consumers.

Senator Hatch and Harken?s offices, the US Trade Representatives Office, and especially the US Codex Office (led by Dr.Ed Scarbrough at the USDA) have been actively lying to the public on the Codex issue for years- while the Life Extension Foundation was the first to call it to global attention in 1996 via my article. International Advocates for Health Freedom was created specifically to catalyze awareness of the issue and in November we held an Emergency Meeting at ACAM- a DVD of which can be watched at http://www.glycommunity.com/iahf Jonathan Wright, MD MC ed this emergency meeting which was well attended by alternative practitioners and innovative supplement manufacturers who are finally seeing through the spin.

Miniross, try searching yahoo or one of the other search engines for the words Codex Alimentarius.

Yes codex is real but for now will probably only effect Europe and maybe Canada.

The FDA testified to congress that Codex is voluntary, but the WTO believes they are mandatory and legally binding. So down the road I’m sure the WTO will try to pressure the U.S. to follow codex.

This was posted in a thread not all that long ago.

I had looked into the actual bills in congress that these threats were supposed to stem from. They appear to be dead.

Also, most letters/emails like these are accompanied by instructions to sign a petition to support other bills. Sometimes, organizations will use scare tactics to get you to sign your name to things, and they’re banking on the fact that you won’t check it out. One email I got urged me to sign in support of some bill, which when I researched, was for the U.S. to back out of the U.N. It had pretty much nothing to do with supplements.

Anyway, this seems to be nothing to worry about, but some checking into it couldn’t hurt.

[quote]Franco wrote:
The FDA testified to congress that Codex is voluntary, but the WTO believes they are mandatory and legally binding. So down the road I’m sure the WTO will try to pressure the U.S. to follow codex.[/quote]

Given the recent “sky is falling” attitude of the current adiminstration in banning ephedra and pro-hormones, I worry that Congress could be more easily swayed to follow the guidelines of the Codex.

Here is an article written by Suzan Walter who attended the Codex Committee on Nutrition and Foods for Special Dietary Uses sessions as an observer in 2002, 2003, and 2004 which breaks things down fairly well, I think: http://ahha.org/CodexWalter2005.htm.

I shudder at the idea of needing a prescription to get supplements or watching other supplements, like ephedra, getting banned based on a small amount of bad incidents while “regulated” products that kill more people are allowed to be sold.